Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got the ASV machine !
RE: Finally got the ASV machine !
Here's the "cleaned-up" screenshot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joseph, my wife is also on CPAP (Airsense 10 Autoset). I never loaned her my machine, but observed her sleep and suggested she get a diagnostic test. I know where you're coming from and wanting to help, but if she is feeling tired, and you observe restless sleep, snoring, fatigue and other symptoms, it's important to get her proper care, and not to loan her your equipment. First of all, our wives are more inclined to listen to a professional (JMHO), and there is a pretty low probability your mask fits and especially that your ASV machine, even in fixed CPAP mode is optimal. You can guide her along the path you have traveled to get a diagnosis and prescription, but frankly, you need your machine. Let your improved health be her inspiration to pursue her own remedy. If your budget is low, then get an affordable auto CPAP and a good mask (your prescription can be used to buy anything you want at the online suppliers). Get a Resmed S9 or Airsense 10 Autoset and do this right.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not loaning her my equipment. My preference would be for her to get the test with no further coaxing, but at $1500, without some specific evidence that she really needs it, I'm not going to be able to talk her into it. Right now, $15000 is a HUGE amount of money for us, and as things stand, it will take a few months of saving to make that happen. If she spends a few hours sleeping with it, and I can show her instances of apnea or hypopnea, then I will probably be able to convince her. Right now, she says "with our luck, it will probably show nothing, and we'll have thrown away $1500", and she does have a point (even though it would be worth it to me to rule it out).
Post Reply Post Reply
Two ways to approach this.
1 Set to CPAP mode at minimum pressure of 4.0 and watch the events.
2. Set to CPAP mode at 8 cm which treats most obstructive events and provides comfortable sleep.

At minimum pressure, it may be harder to sleep. Some obstructive apnea will be treated, so it is still not an indicator of untreated obstructive apnea, but if she sleeps you will see events in the data.

At 8 cm pressure most people are treated by CPAP for simple obstructive apnea. There may be residual OA and H events. In general she should sleep better and this will eliminate most snoring.

As far as price, there are Craigslist Listings for new and lightly used Airsense 10 Autoset machines from $400 to $489. Use SearchTempest to find them using your Zip code as the search center, and search for "Resmed". I agree $1500 is a heavy hit, but you can avoid that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's data.  I forgot to plug in the card until afterwards, so there's no graphical data, but an AHI of 0.49?  What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
Joseph, It will be interesting to see the details, but a 10X improvement in the AHI ain't so bad for a first shot at ASVauto. The only thing that matters is, how did it feel to you?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Feels wonderful!  I just took a much-needed 2-hour nap, and here's what I got:
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool! The settings appear to be nearly ideal. I would suggest you hold here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
And here's last night's data.  I have to say, I feel pretty good! I can definitely tell you that it's been many years since I've been able to sleep this long at a stretch.  Since about 2003, I've only been able to sleep in 2 hour intervals at a maximum.  One thing I noticed is that I must have accidentally set one of the settings to 15, instead of the 12 that you had recommended. I wonder if I should change that, or tweak any other settings, or stay here?
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is using the 15 cm pressure support, so if you're not finding that disruptive, you can keep it. It appears that for the most part your apnea and hypopnea do pretty good at in the 3-12 range. Its mostly a comfort thing since the machine can occasionally react with more PS than you need. Your 95% pressure support is about 10, so I think 12 should suffice as a maximum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 48 3,302 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,585 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Cool [Pressure] Finally a Resmed user!!! Need Help!!! :) mrsleepyhead2001 2 173 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 492 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,436 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 560 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 454 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.