Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got the Hubbies Info. Can someone please advise?
RE: Finally got the Hubbies Info. Can someone please advise?

Thank you for all of your answers. I now know what I must do. I have just been in touch with another doctor and sleep study clinic that the hubbys brother went to and he's been thrilled with it.
His brother is someone of 55 that is in perfect shape. He works out daily and has abs better than most 18 year olds.
He throws out the window any idea that all people with Sleep Apnea are overweight for he isn't one bit.

In any event, theres been too much, or rather, too little going on with this last doctor and i aim not going to waste my time with him any longer.
I understand his specialty is Asthma and he's considered one to he best Respirologists but I don't think he's very good with Sleep Apnea and his bedside manner is just awful.
I can get most anyone into a good mood and talking but not this one.....

In any event, Kevin is a big boy to start off with but his weight is usually right for his body but at the same time I had to put weight on, we also bought 2 scooters.
We live in the city of Toronto and used to walk EVERYWHERE. Living in the city we got fed up with driving and walking kept us in great shape.
3 years ago we both had little or no fat on either body.
But when I went to put weight on, at the very same time as I said, we bought the scooters and we began to work out of our home so our lifestyle just changed dramatically.
But now its time to get rid of the weight and we have both started and i know Kevin. He's extremely motivated when he puts his mind to it so I do know that even 3 months from now he will be a different person from today.

We goth gave up smoking 6 weeks ago. Working at home we were both smoking a lot. Being on the computer a lot is a huge trigger when you smoke but we both decided 6 weeks ago to make some serious changes and bough the electric cigarettes one Vapes with and not only have we not had cigs in 6 weeks we barely use the electric cigs either and of the ones we do when we do, we are no longer filling them with banana oil that has any nicotine in them so its really at this point, just a tool for our hands but for 2 heavy smokers to quit that easily was rather amazing so we wanted to keep them in our hands for a while to make sure we wouldn't relapse.
Thats the trigger that has started all the other changes so I do know 3- 6 months from now we will both be back to our old selves.
We've done what many do at 50'ish. We took for granted that we were thin and could always get away with eating whatever we wanted and never needed to go to a gym but all of a sudden all of that changed and we can no longer look at sugar or junk food, etc without gaining weight. Although I had to gain weight i never expected to gain as much as I did so that was intensified with not walking and riding our scooters everywhere.

Knowing all of the above, I contacted this other doctor and was told that he can do another study since his failed, plus it was about a year ago now we did the first one so all we have to do is get a doctor to give us a recommendation, set up one appointment with them and from there we can set up a sleep test.
If i can, I will set one up as well for i too was not at all happy with my failed first one....yes, mine failed as well and the last one I thought was pathetically handled since i did not even have 1 minute throughout the test with a mask that did not leak a lot.

Rather than my have to deal with figuring out his situation, which to be honest, I just don't have the energy to do as i am getting a bit frustrated, to say the last with my own. Id much rather a doctor give him a test and if there is a proper starting off point for him, than at least we have somewhere to start and who knows, maybe a new test for me will give me a better idea of what i am doing as well for I am getting worse on mine, not better.

Last night and i didn't realize this until this morning, I took the mask off after 1.5 hours. At this point I really don't know what I am doing wrong and will get around to fixing it another day. I was under the impression that I set the auto set back to the same settings my other S9, the ESCAPE was at for that one I hadn't any problems getting though the night with it on but for whatever reason its not working for me on this one........But I am not willing to give in yet and go back to the Escape as I will never get back on the Auto Set if i do that......anyway, i will figure it out but tonight i am not in the mood to do so ;-)

Thanks for the help in this, with him for now I at least know he needs a new study with a better doctor/clinic and perhaps myself as well.

Smile ( I type too quickly, hence too much, need to stop this bad habit as well ) LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got the Hubbies Info. Can someone please advise?
ShelaghDB,

I'm sorry to hear that you are continuing to struggle with the AutoSet.

You write:
(06-04-2014, 07:51 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Last night and i didn't realize this until this morning, I took the mask off after 1.5 hours. At this point I really don't know what I am doing wrong and will get around to fixing it another day. I was under the impression that I set the auto set back to the same settings my other S9, the ESCAPE was at for that one I hadn't any problems getting though the night with it on but for whatever reason its not working for me on this one
Do you know exactly how the Escape was set up? Pressure setting? EPR setting? Humidity setting? If you were using the heated hose, what was it set to? And if you used the ramp, what was the ramp starting pressure? An the ramp time?

Do you know exactly how the AutoSet is set up? Mode--is it in Auto or CPAP? Pressure setting or settings? EPR setting? Humidity setting? If you were using the heated hose, what was it set to? And if you used the ramp, what was the ramp starting pressure? And the ramp time?

If you've confirmed that the therapeutic settings of the two machines are the same, then it's possible that one or more of the patient comfort settings is the problem. So you need to check all of them as well.

Finally, I want to wish both you and Kevin the best of luck with getting a much better quality doc and more successful sleep studies this time around.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,039 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 139 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 181 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 263 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 698 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 292 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,135 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.