Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started BIPAP something is closing off my airway
Started BIPAP something is closing off my airway
Hey all, just started my BIPAP therapy.  My settings are:

Max Ipap 20
Min Epap 8
Ps 4
T1 Max 2.0 s
T1 Min 0.3s
Trigger Very High
Cycle Very High
Ramp Time 30 min
Start EPAP 4.0

I lowered the ipap to 17 and the epap to 5 because it's so hard to blow out against the pressure.  And I'm still having a very hard time blowing against the pressure.  Plus, something in my throat keeps closing every time I breathe.  I think it's my epiglottis.

Can anyone help me with this problem?  Is this a common thing that the epiglottis would tussle with the airflow?  Or is there something more sinister going on?

Thanks for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started BIPAP something is closing off my airway
Ugh the breathing in is so odd feeling...can't tell what is going on. It seems to be inflating my lungs somewhat but when I breathe out the base of my throat spasms or closes. Not on every exhale but on some. Am I doing something wrong here?
Post Reply Post Reply
Change cycle to medium! Unless there is a reason Trigger is very-high, change it back to medium. Post a chart
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 to Sleepriders post.

Post the daily report plus a not longer than 3-minute view where this issue is happening.

I'll ask, why did you change Trigger and Cycle?
Trigger is rarely changed, and Cycle maybe 1 out of every many 10000s of users..
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys thank you so much for replying;

I'm going to try the machine again shortly.  I am having such a hard time breathing out against even minimum pressure.  Plus it feels like my lungs are resisting the intake of air.

I'm able to blow through a column of water with a straw.

I am always satting normally on room air - around 96% to 98%.

My CT is clear of any signs of damage to the lungs.

Yet I'm having persistent dyspnea.

I know this doesn't substitute for actual sleep study data but I'm trying to get my anxiety under control.  I think I mentioned above that I'm being evaluated for possible neuromuscular disorder, but I'm also worried I have some thin obstructive going on too.  If it was this profound wouldn't it show up on CT scan?  Plus, I thought people with severe obstructive disease could use BIPAP successfully.  I'm so freaking puzzled.  And the only thing that is giving me any comfort in the face of possible ALS is that I could live a little longer on a ventilator.  But if I have a restrictive disease too - that's going to complicate things badly.

Sorry to ramble.  Really wanting to get BIPAP working because of my apnea and because it will extend my life a bit.  

Thanks everyone for help and guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 118 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 247 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 233 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 266 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,587 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.