Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finding My AHI using a Contec CMS50F Oximeter?
RE: Finding My AHI using a Contec CMS50F Oximeter?
"is the only way to find out my AHI pre-CPAP is to do a sleep study?" -- yes

Once you are using a CPAP, you are being treated, and the CPAP machine reports the AHI after treatment. Even at minimum settings (4 cmH2O pressure), the machine will be providing some treatment. How much pressure you need for adequate treatment will be assessed by the sleep study, or by evaluation of CPAP machine data by OSCAR. (You can get advice here about OSCAR results.)

Are at-home sleep study kits available in France?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO the main purpose of a Sleep Study, is to enable getting a PAP device. As Guy stated you will NOT be able to see what it is without CPAP, only at a "low" CPAP pressure of 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2022, 12:41 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: "is the only way to find out my AHI pre-CPAP is to do a sleep study?" --  yes

Once you are using a CPAP, you are being treated, and the CPAP machine reports the AHI after treatment.  Even at minimum settings (4 cmH2O pressure), the machine will be providing some treatment. How much pressure you need for adequate treatment will be assessed by the sleep study, or by evaluation of CPAP machine data by OSCAR. (You can get advice here about OSCAR results.)

Are at-home sleep study kits available in France?

I never thought about putting the CPAP on the lowest pressure setting to see the corresponding AHI! GENIUS! Although I know it won't be 100% accurate because as you mentioned even at the lowest setting there will be some (though not always significant) level of treatment. But that opens up the possibility of "If you put your CPAP at the lowest setting and you're still getting an AHI of say 40+ then you probably have a pre-CPAP AHI>40", I never thought of it this way! Thanks for being generous with your knowledge and I hope I'm not misinterpreting your reply here.

After you asked about the at-home SS Kits, I found only one (Link for future inquisitive French people: https://cisparis.net/examen-a-domicile/), it's weird that my doctor didn't mention this possibility, I will for sure try to get one ASAP! Thanks again for the prompt!

The last thing is that I finally decided to pull the trigger without the study and bought a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO BiPAP machine, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase, I have yet to use it as I'm waiting for a fitting mask but I can already imagine waking up with normal human-like energy levels! This forum has been a blessing! Thanks Guy!

(01-05-2022, 03:26 PM)Gideon Wrote: IMHO the main purpose of a Sleep Study, is to enable getting a PAP device.  As Guy stated you will NOT be able to see what it is without CPAP, only at a "low" CPAP pressure of 4.

Well as I just mentioned I just bought a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO :Big Grin I will be using it for the first time soon and I will definitely report back.

Thanks Gideon for the AMAZING work you're doing!

I will report back when I get more data :Big Grin Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2022, 03:26 PM)Gideon Wrote: IMHO the main purpose of a Sleep Study, is to enable getting a PAP device.  As Guy stated you will NOT be able to see what it is without CPAP, only at a "low" CPAP pressure of 4.

(Brand new to the forum... have been using OSCAR with my CMS50F Pulse-Ox for years. THANKS!)

IMHO the main purpose of a Sleep Study is to diagnose which (if any) of the 100+ known sleep disorders a person may have. Only a few require a PAP device for treatment. Many can't be diagnosed w/o a Sleep Study.

(I happen to have a very rare disorder...our center had never seen it before Bigwink  ... )

Blessings,
Pete
Post Reply Post Reply
Pete, what is your very rare disorder?
If we are fighting more than apnea it is important at least for awareness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 05:12 PM)Gideon Wrote: Pete, what is your very rare disorder?  
If we are fighting more than apnea it is important at least for awareness.

In my case, they discovered (in 2002) a complete lack of the deepest sleep phase. Back then it was called Delta (I and II), now called N3 aka NREM (non-REM) 3. The truly hard part: that's the sleep phase where our muscles rest. I can sleep all I want, but wake up not-rested.

The diagnosis taught me a new (to me) word: Idiopathic Hypersomnia. I fall asleep WAY too easily during the day if not medicated, and they don't really know why. In reality, they know it is due to lack of Delta/N3 sleep, but no idea what causes that, nor how to treat it. (Put me in a comfortable chair, with no interaction, and I can fall asleep in seconds for a few minutes, and not know it happened. Embarrassing in a meeting; dangerous if driving.)

What follows may be TMI, but I suspect of interest to this group Wink

I got a visit from the top AMA guy on sleep as a result. He went off to do some research, because at the time they knew there was a correlation between creation of HGH (Human Growth Hormone) in men, and that sleep phase, but no knowledge of cause/effect. Their concern: I could be aging horrifically. 

His response after a couple of months:
* We don't know the answer
* We have no way to find out. They'd have to stick a long needle up my brainstem to even make one direct HGH measurement, and it wouldn't answer the question. A $20k procedure that wouldn't resolve it.
* So, he just told me to go live my life.

In the meantime, things got even more interesting. My sleep doc had me do experiments on myself, to find a med combination that would keep me awake. Until that was resolved, I was not allowed to drive. My experimental tools: caffeine in any form I liked, and an interesting med, ProVigil.

For me, a double dose of Provigil in the AM, and caffeine in the afternoon, provably keeps me awake. (I had to pass the truly awful wakefulness test given to truckers and airline pilots.)

Interesting tidbit on Provigil: it promotes wakefulness with essentially no side effects. AFAIK, they still don't have clear understanding of how it works. They just know that it does.

So, to an approximation, I am a living representation of the power and limits of modern science:

* I have a sleep disorder; they don't know what causes it
* It's treated by a medication; they don't know how it works
* But all of the above is scientifically demonstrable and repeatable

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. I think I'd love some of that Provigil! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Provigil is not cheap ;Wink Fortunately, it is off-patent now. (The "new" version is NuVigil... but my tests were on the old one so I get permission to use it.)

Apparently a very few people do get addicted, so not recommended for use w/o a doc monitoring...
Post Reply Post Reply
It's just another option for me to research and consider, depending how ASV goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 807 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  csv-converter for like nx-8462 oximeter capman 1 147 03-15-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: capman
  thumbdrive-oximeter-format-analysis capman 6 192 03-15-2024, 04:29 AM
  CMS50F Oximeter Device not Recognized. ThinMountainAir 20 2,409 03-07-2024, 05:13 PM
  csv-format for generic oximeter imports into oscar capman 2 156 03-07-2024, 07:06 AM
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 612 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 233 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.