Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finding New Provider
Finding New Provider
Hi all; I haven't posted in a while because my story is too darn depressing to really want to share it and bring anyone down. In a nutshell, I'm having a terrible time with CPAP. I suddenly realized my doctor and DME just might have something to do with it. The lack of respect at the "doctor's" office has been stunning. I don't even see him, haven't met him. I see his nurse practitioner. She makes me wait over two hours. I've been to plenty of doctors in my time and only one kept me that long, the rheumatologist that helped me get workmens compensation. I am just mortified that this nurse keeps me dangling like that. I could go on and on. The DME is in cahoots with her, being as how their offices are almost on an umbilical cord from each other. I just came to the decision that it was time to look elsewhere. My doc is working on a referral for me. Sometimes we must make a stand. It took a lot for me to realize the care was the problem and not me. I blamed myself for a lot up until a while go when I woke up to reality. I'll let you know what happens. I went from really caring about doing it all right to not even using the machine. Now you know something made that happen. It's depressing after all these months to have to start over, but I consider it starting fresh. Love, DJ
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding New Provider
Good luck. Finding a good doctor is a pain, but it's totally worth the effort.

And get back on the machine! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, some Doctor's offices have a culture of treating people poorly. Just curious, what about the therapy is your doctor not addressing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi djjwilly,
I'm sorry you have had such a rough time of things right now.
I wish you much luck trying to find a new dock and provider who will really look after your needs.
I encourage you to stick with your CPAP therapy and please do keep us postedon how things go as you search for a new dock and DME.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am fairly certain that my doctor and DME have an intertwined monetary arrangement. They are essentially co-located; and he gets paid to interpret their sleep lab results. That being said -- I have no complaints about my DME. They get me what I need as often as my insurance will pay for it. And, I am fairly certain that, if I asked, my doctor would not object to my using another DME. I'll not mention the name of either. The DME is a large national supplier.

I will add that I have only rarely run across healthcare professionals that do not treat me right; or keep me waiting without there being an extraordinary reason.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to use this website to locate another sleep doctor in your area:

Find-A-Sleep-Center

The site belongs to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's funny how people will spend more time and effort to pick an AUTO MECHANIC than a Doctor, and if the auto-mechanic doesn't treat them right they will never go back and just find another.

Doctors are people too, some are really good and some are really bad -- most are by definition MEDIOCRE, average, middle of the pack, not that great and not that bad.

The old joke:

What do you call the guy who finishes last in his medical school class?

Answer: Doctor.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
herbm is right on the money. look around, ask others for opinions and find a doctor/practise you're comfortable with.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is of any comfort to you, about a year ago I had to start all over again too with a new doctor and a new DME. The doctor I used to have was so sarcastic and answered any question I asked him with a huge attitude. He once told me that because I hadn't lost as much weight as he told me to, he didn't want to see me again for 2 years.

The new sleep doctor I have is respectful and has even given me several names for finding a new DME. Good Luck to you and I wish you the best. Try going back to your CPAP - it does benefit you even if your old doctor does not.
Post Reply Post Reply
I,m intrigued with this discussion
How you spot a good sleep doctor vs bad sleep doctor
If all they do view the data and tell me, hours using the machine, AHI, leak and stuff like that which I already knew ... not rocket science
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  DreamStation 2 Advanced Provider ManualIII Clay L 2 268 01-28-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 270 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  DME Provider Recos cincysinner 5 334 01-25-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 566 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Provider Manual for BMC? cpapuser2348 1 259 12-21-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 591 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.