Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finding a new machine? Shortages?
Finding a new machine? Shortages?
Hi All, 

I've not posted in donkey's years. I am probably overdue for a new machine (I'm at 17371 hours, I've read the average life expectancy is what, 15000?)  but as mine was still working find, my DME said that that idea that your insurance company "will" get you a new one after 5 years or so is just nonsense and that it's only if yours isn't working. I said well what if it stops in the middle of the night, and she said "we'll get you a loaner while we check yours out" I'm fine to use this till it dies but I am such a rabid cpap fan that I won't even try to sleep without it. 

Anyhoo, I've now moved, I don't have good insurance now as I did then (I have a 7000 dollar deductible and now where near meeting that) I do however have a HSA so I can afford to buy a machine online. I also have a prescription that hasn't expired.

That said, I've looked on and off over the last months and not found my machine in stock anywhere. It may appear to be in stock in that they'll take an order for one, but the "delays in shipping" sound like they are back-ordered more or less. 

I'd consider a used machine or refurbished with low mileage (-: but do those places disinfect well? Would you avoid such given the pandemic world?

Also because we've moved to an area where snow and ice leading to power outages is more likely I've wondered what type of battery backup I could get. I'm not interested in the thing whatever it's called where you get a bank of boat batteries, but I note there are a couple of different kinds of backup they sell from suppliers. How do I know what kind I can use with my machine?

The two times I've talked to or chatted with businesses on the "list of suppliers page" they've felt rather sketchy. One guy told me they'd have more of my model in maybe later that week but I never heard back.

If you were me and can't find a replacement but don't want to risk a no cpap night what would you do? I've considered a travel model or something less expensive just as backup or trying to find used...just not sure what to do.

ALSO- I don't really need any of the tubing or water basin etc. It looks like some suppliers offer just the unit and others only offer the whole package, am I reading this correctly?

Any helpful info/advice would be most appreciated. 

With warmest regards,
Susan 

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding a new machine? Shortages?
My Vauto is at 18,460 hours, but I did buy a second used machine this year that is at about 7500 hours, so at least i have a standby. We are both due to replace our machines through insurance, and I plan to discuss that with my doctor during my routine physical next month. I figure it may take time, but I'm not in a hurry. I'll get the prescription and let the DME worry about the supply problems.

Take a look at Dot Med under their Respiratory / CPAP category and filter for Resmed. Ignore the older machines. I'm seeing some low-hour Aircurve 10 Vautos on there at a lower cost than is being asked on some the Airsense 10 Autosets. Online prices for new Autosets are relatively high due to the Philips recall and high demand. I think if you can wait, that prices may return to near normal. If you see a good deal grab it. I also use the SearchTempest search engine to find used machines on Craigslist from a wider area.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider, for this info. Glad to see you are still on the board! Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2021, 03:02 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Also because we've moved to an area where snow and ice leading to power outages is more likely I've wondered what type of battery backup I could get. I'm not interested in the thing whatever it's called where you get a bank of boat batteries, but I note there are a couple of different kinds of backup they sell from suppliers. How do I know what kind I can use with my machine?

A bit late with this but....

Resmed machines have a proprietary 24v DC power supply so you're stuck buying their 12v power brick compatible with your machine.   I see an A10 Autoset in your profile which is what I have.   My setup is the Resmed 12v power brick compatible with the machine, an AGM scooter/wheelchair battery from the evil Bezos empire, and a Battery Tender Junior I have permanently attached to the AGM battery.   The Resmed 12v power brick attaches to the battery with alligator clips.  You also want a non-heated tube rather than ClimateLine to preserve battery life.   I keep the battery, battery tender, 12v power brick, and Slimline tube in a zip canvas bag and try to remember to top the battery up a few times per year.   If I know bad weather is coming, I plug it in.   We had a power outage last Wednesday night.   The only setting I change is to turn off the humidifier to preserve battery life and that's in the regular settings so you don't need to do the two-button salute to get into the clinician menu.   My battery tender junior is plugged in topping off the battery.

I wandered over to this message board because I'm also looking to replace a 6 1/2 year old machine.   I want an A11 AutoSet but it doesn't have the 12v power brick for backup yet.   I have 12v power bricks for my S9 AutoSet and A10 Autoset so I have plenty of alternatives.

A Google of "resmed a10 12v power supply" turns up a couple of sources for $84.95 which is roughly the outrageous price I paid 6 1/2 years ago.   A Google of "Battery Tender Junior" shows the big retailer with rollback pricing as the cheapest at $24.98.    The giant online retailer from Seattle has a 35 amp hour AGM battery for $72.09 with free shipping.   So battery backup for Resmed is about $200.
Post Reply Post Reply
Susan, I believe you are wise to get out ahead of this. With no applicable insurance coverage and my S9 at close to 12K hours I started looking at Autoset 10 listings online from private sellers. However, before I found a gently used A10 at what I thought was a fair price I came across a posting for an S9 that looked brand new. I only paid a couple hundred for it which seemed like a steal when it received it and discovered it had less than 100 run-hours (run-hours in setting, not hours-used). Roll the clock forward a few years and S9 #1 which has been relegated to use for travel only has 14K+ and S9 #2 has 4K+. So with two working machines and no time constraint, I start browsing listings for an Autoset 10 (again). Proving once again that patience pays, after a few months I stumbled on to a private listing for one that looked pristine and turned out to have only 25 total run-hour. This was just a few weeks ago (during COVID supply shortage) and I paid $500 plus tax and shipping for what was essentially an open-box new CPAP complete (travel case, heated-hose, power-supply, etc). Don't go looking for a deal like this today and expect to find anything close. The key is to plan ahead, know what you want and what you are willing to pay for it, and then be ready to act fast when the right deal comes along. 

In both cases, I thoroughly disinfected the hose and humidifier reservoir. I would never consider using a second-hand mask of course. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I see little risk of picking up airborne viruses or infections from the actual CPAP machine itself since air exhaled through the mask never gets near it.    

Good luck to you!

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Geoff for this very helpful information! 

I was surprised to have no responses to the battery aspect of this query way back when (I probably should have made the post two threads) because when I used to be more active on the board there were always helpful "old timers" (board wise not age wise) on the board who'd have super helpful info!

Right now I'm so bogged down trying to get a machine before mine dies a natural death (It's going on about 6 years if memory serves, last time I looked at the hours it was well beyond the average life expectancy) that I figure I'll wait to get any kind of backup when I know for sure what kind of machine I'll get. 

I'm willing to buy a used one if I can find. I have several sleep disorders plus apnea, sleep means the world to feeling well!

I know I'm not alone in the "finding a cpap machine" woe, but I am disappointed to find what seems to be somewhat deceptive practices in the online company industry. About a year ago when I was first looking for next machine, some sites would look like they may have stock, (I note same companies now have out of stock written under items so that's fixed at least) and I'd talk with salesperson and ask if they had stock and they'd say , well not this moment but we're due a shipment in 2 or 3 days. 

Arrgh.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Mark, I don't see one, so if I didn't respond to you back when, Thank you for your helpful reply! I am looking at used machines as well!

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleeprider, what is dot med? I know we aren't allowed to do links here, I just can't figure out which company you are pointing me towards (-:

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark thank you for the tremendous detail you have in the backup battery info, it's way above my paygrade but my husband is handy with electrical things (transistors, radios, ham stuff, electronics) So I'm going to hope if I have him read what you wrote, he'll understand how to build such a device. 

Does this thing take up a lot of room? I assume a wheelchair battery is like the size of one for a car? I know folk used to do things with like boat batteries but that also seemed unweildy. 

Shall I assume there isn't anything made that is small and self-contained that will work with the machine both you and I have?

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an aging ResMed ASV machine.  Six+ years and over 17,000 run hours.  I got my doctor to order a new machined.  This was back in the first week in January.  Along comes April and the  first DME still had not filled the order.  So my doctor got fed up with the foot dragging and placed the order with a new DME.  It took about 2 weeks and the second DME had my new ASV machine.  One would think that all DME's have the same ability to obtain new machines.  Guess not.  My old machine was starting to make a lot of strange noises.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 593 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,162 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 662 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,968 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 603 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal
  Struggling finding the right settings for flow limitations snakewrestler 20 1,941 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: snakewrestler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.