Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finding optimum settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
RE: Finding optimum settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
Sleep data for last night.

AHI is finally down (for a layman like me, this seems to be the easiest measurement metric to track?)

Would appreciate any feedback regarding any critical issues that need addressing, otherwise will stick to these settings for now.
EPAP: 8
IPAP: 18
PS: 5-8

Thanks!
V

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding optimum settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
I think you are getting there. The last cluster at the end may be positional, I wouldn't go down that road yet. See if your dads chin is close to his chest, head propped up on a pillow. Now think the opposite, like CPR with the head back. A pillow change may help?

See what the forum thinks, there may be other opinions to consider.
I'd have the following for now, it may clean up the first half of the night on the above chart, The tidal volume and minute vent also indicates a higher min epap would help.
EPAP: 9 (you may need 10 next)
IPAP: 20

Does your dad have COPD or other lung issues? He may need an bit more min PS than 5 later. see how it goes once the obstructive stuff is sorted.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2019, 05:02 AM)ajack Wrote: I think you are getting there. The last cluster at the end may be positional, I wouldn't go down that road yet. See if your dads chin is close to his chest, head propped up on a pillow. Now think the opposite, like CPR with the head back. A pillow change may help?

See what the forum thinks, there may be other opinions to consider.
I'd have the following for now, it may clean up the first half of the night on the above chart, The tidal volume and minute vent also indicates a higher min epap would help.
EPAP: 9 (you may need 10 next)
IPAP: 20

Does your dad have COPD or other lung issues? He may need an bit more min PS than 5 later. see how it goes once the obstructive stuff is sorted.

Thank you.

Will follow your advise and change the settings. 

And will share the sleep data once again tomorrow morning. 

He's recovering from a cold and dry cough - it's much better now. Don't know if that can mess up the data. 

Best, 
V
Post Reply Post Reply
Things look pretty good here and the event rate is relatively low with most hypopnea and obstruction occurring during clusters that look like positional apnea and along with those BND periods. Snoring is greatly reduced. I see no problem in elevating EPAP min to 8.5. I'd like to get some feedback from dad about how he feels with the comfort of the therapy or what is not comfortable. I think we will eventually move EPAP higher to the 9 or 10 range to extinguish the obstruction we see in the latest graphs. This strategy is working, but only if he is comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2019, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Things look pretty good here and the event rate is relatively low with most hypopnea and obstruction occurring during clusters that look like positional apnea and along with those BND periods. Snoring is greatly reduced.  I see no problem in elevating EPAP min to 8.5.  I'd like to get some feedback from dad about how he feels with the comfort of the therapy or what is not comfortable.  I think we will eventually move EPAP higher to the 9 or 10 range to extinguish the obstruction we see in the latest graphs. This strategy is working, but only if he is comfortable.

Hi. Here are the results for last night.

NOTE: Min. EPAP is set at 9 (Dad started the machine without me, he's gotten a lot more comfortable with it) -- It was initially set to 8, but I move it to 9 after he had used it for 20 mins in the night...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That one looks even better.
I sent a message about the manual. To look at settings, because of the tidal volume spikes. All may not be obstructive related.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think dad is tucking his chin and that causes the clusters of obstruction. Other than that, he seems well ventilated and the fact he is getting comfortable is enough reason to leave the pressure alone for a while and let this settle out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2019, 07:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think dad is tucking his chin and that causes the clusters of obstruction. Other than that, he seems well ventilated and the fact he is getting comfortable is enough reason to leave the pressure alone for a while and let this settle out.

You're quite right. 

I've tried getting him to use different memory foam cervical support pillows, but he still prefers his old regular foam pillow. 

He's definitely better, more attentive and coherent during the day.

He says he's feeling more energetic and only naps for 30mins during the afternoon.

I guess at his age that's excellent progress (from being drowsy 24/7).

Will keep the settings as they are for 1 week and report back. 

Thanks for all your help. 

Regards, 
V
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,033 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,047 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.