Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finding the right mask
Finding the right mask
I am about 12 nights into my CPAP journey, and getting used to sleeping with the hose, and something on my face. In many ways, it has been easier than I feared, and while not yet zero, my AHIs have been under 2 for several nights.

I have a ResMed P10 - got it at my sleep study. I have played with medium and large sized pillows - the medium seals better but becomes painful more quickly. The large is quite comfortable for 3-4 hours, then starts to make my nose very sore and I wake up.

I also have a Respironics WISP I got at the DME when I took delivery of my machine, and this one was what was submitted to insurance. Started off with the large cushion, but it felt like it was blocking my nostrils, so I went to the extra large. Big improvement, but I have to tighten it down a good bit, and about 4 hours later, you guessed it - it is bothersome enough to wake me.

For the past several nights, I've been going to sleep with the P10 and changing to the WISP in the middle of the night. This is workable, but not ideal, of course. I am apparently less active earlier in the evening, and can keep the P10 mostly well sealed for that time period.
Tossing and turning after that, the WISP is a much better solution; with the P10 during that latter part of the night, my events go way up.

With so many masks out there, at ~$100 each, how does one go about trying enough to find the perfect match? Insurance sure doesn't pay for a selection, that I am aware of.

How did everyone else find their perfect mask?

thanks,
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding the right mask
Trial and error. What one person says is great could be horrible for you. I am very fortunate in the Milwaukee area that has a store with many of the top sellers on hand. They has a 30 day trial period, if you don't like it, bring it back and try another type. That was a huge blessing. Some of the internet stores do the same thing but the price is usually higher because of that.

Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
my DME had a selection of masks they were passing around the group of people who were being issued cpap together - along with wipes - but eeew

it was a fairly limited selection and I ended up getting a different one (P10) when the first one (FX pillows) was unsatisfactory - vented too hard - otherwise it fit better than the P10 does.

When we were trying them on, there were 6 of us around a table. no place to lay with it, like there should be, and no pillow to smoosh your head into to see if it would stay in place.

at $100 or more a pop you would think they'd do better!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
How am I supposed to choose a good fit in that setting is what gets me, Daria - the two I've tried are quite acceptable for 4 or so hours - with the right cushions/pillows. Can't see walking around a DME that long!

I like the 30-day trial thing. I will start searching the list of our board's Internet providers and see what I can come up with. I know some online suppliers charge extra for their "mask assurance" program.
Post Reply Post Reply
p10 is not adjustable. maybe you need to stretch out the straps or even cut and lengthen with other elastic... if it is making your nose sore, maybe it is just too tight... esp if the pressure is increasing in the 2nd half of the night. I wear my p10 kinda loose; and I can, bc I have a smallish head.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2015, 07:00 PM)parkerdt Wrote: How am I supposed to choose a good fit in that setting is what gets me, Daria - the two I've tried are quite acceptable for 4 or so hours - with the right cushions/pillows. Can't see walking around a DME that long!

I like the 30-day trial thing. I will start searching the list of our board's Internet providers and see what I can come up with. I know some online suppliers charge extra for their "mask assurance" program.

yeah, exactly.

my insurance allowed for one mask dissatisfaction replacement, and beyond that will pay for a new mask every 3 mo. The DME will only give what the ins will pay for. IOW no trials. I feel like I would like to try some other types too - but the p10 is working well, so I haven't yet. currently I have the one FX and 2 p10s. Next mask should be another option, just for grins.

soreness ---- too tight? rubbing from movement? any idea what is causing the soreness?

Post Reply Post Reply
I've played all sorts of games with the P10 straps, and anything that loosens them, I'll knock the p10 off my face during the second half of the night... and as I loosen them, my leaks go up - so much so that last week I got an e-mail from ResMed MyAir warning me about the leaks. This is why I think the p10 is not ideal for me, long term.

(06-01-2015, 07:03 PM)DariaVader Wrote: p10 is not adjustable. maybe you need to stretch out the straps or even cut and lengthen with other elastic... if it is making your nose sore, maybe it is just too tight... esp if the pressure is increasing in the 2nd half of the night. I wear my p10 kinda loose; and I can, bc I have a smallish head.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi parkerdt,
If you still want to continue with the pillows mask, get some HPA Lanolin, found in the baby isle of most stores. A "little" goes a "long" way, so just dab a bit on a cotton swav and put it into your nostriles and hopefully, that will help with the soarness.
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you in finding the right mask or a workable solution for the ones you are using now.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow this does seem to be a common topic - sorry for re-opening it! perhaps there should be a "sticky" thread on the board dealing with the difficulty of finding the right mask?

Frustrating topic, for sure, and a lot of us seem to have this problem.

Trish, I have some lanolin on the way, thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
There is only one mask. The P10. All other masks are simply an exercise in putting off the inevitable. Sooner or later everyone will use the P10. Resistance is futile.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 592 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 662 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,968 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 603 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Struggling finding the right settings for flow limitations snakewrestler 20 1,941 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: snakewrestler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.