Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finished HST, possibly negative?
RE: Finished HST, possibly negative?
Nice that you were able to get the OSA file. That's the one thing preventing me from working through the data I pulled from the device I just did my sleep study with. There must be a hidden file i missed when I downloaded the data, and I don't have the machine anymore. Boo. I have to say, though, comparing what I see in yours with mine, I just don't think that I have sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 05:28 PM)deathscreton Wrote: Just wanted to post an update. I was reached out by the sleep study group that did my HST Friday. At the time, I was looking for another group to do my study with, but the SSG stated they had a opening for that night. It was last minute, but I was greatly tempted, so I said yes.

Let me tell you, I know people say PSGs are difficult to sleep though, but holy hell. It wasn't so much the wires and things stuck to my body (though that did play a part in it), it was more the worry.

"Am I sleeping properly enough? Are they gonna see anything? It's 11PM and they're kicking me out at 5AM, is there gonna be enough data?"

That in itself made it difficult to get to bed. I maybe slept, at most, 4 hours that night and I really felt it when I woke up. So, while we wait for my data to come in this week, I'll have my fingers crossed.

PS: I got my liver ultrasound back. It was fatty liver. Explains my elevated ALT and enzymes. Doc just says I'm too fat. :lol: I think it could be both my lifestyle and the possible SA I'm experiencing. All I know is that if I solve my sleeping problem, energy will come and I'll be fine after that. Lets hope the results are good (which is totally objective cause I want to see some "yeah, your sleeping sucks balls" on that report).

That anxiety about the sleep study seems fairly typical. It seems kind of ironic to want a positive diagnosis and worry about whether you have enough episodes or enough of your usual sleep behavior to prove your point. I went through the same thing myself. The anxiety was hellish, the experience even worse. I don't think all night I demonstrated the presenting symptoms (having my throat flap, choking, coughing...), but luckily enough I had other stuff going that qualified me for treatment. I guess that'll at least get me started, and then I can go to work on the original symptoms.

I had to change beds in the middle of the night on my hospital-based sleep study; at one point I was sleeping folded over at the hips (ballet-training and all); and then I had heart trouble, but was so fed up with them disrupting my sleep, I didn't say anything....And they never did wake me up: I was still sleeping at 9 am.

I do believe the SA and the high BMI are a chicken-and-egg kind of thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Annnnnnnnnd drum roll please.

I've attached the results of my PSG down below. There's a ton of information, but the gist of it is this:

AHI: 19.6
REM AHI: 29.4 (don't know the difference. Maybe REM was just worse, so it has a different index count?)

I was officially diagnosed with moderate to severe SA with high counts of bruxism (teeth grinding) at night, 31 times. 

The next step is speaking with my doctor and setting up a titration. I want to just get a BiLevel, but that's overkill according to what I'm reading with the report(but the comfort I'd be giving up otherwise! D: I know resmed machines have EPR, so that should be okay. I'll have to do some additional research.), but I'm not sure how well an APAP would work considering the results from the home sleep study test. Provided nothing changes, an APAP should be just fine based on the PSG, so we can only hope. 

That being said, I need to start looking at machines! Big Grin Whooooh!
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks great. I see simple mild-moderate obstructive sleep apnea with no complications. If you want to push for getting an auto-CPAP machine and self titrating, I would not expect any complications. Try to get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It will probably take less than a week to find an optimal range of pressures. No harm in doing a titration study on CPAP, as you seem to tolerate the clinical sleep study well. The only drawback is some delay to schedule, conduct, analyze, followup and dispense. Your choice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 10:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Looks great.  I see simple mild-moderate obstructive sleep apnea with no complications.  If you want to push for getting an auto-CPAP machine and self titrating, I would not expect any complications.  Try to get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  It will probably take less than a week to find an optimal range of pressures.  No harm in doing a titration study on CPAP, as you seem to tolerate the clinical sleep study well.  The only drawback is some delay to schedule, conduct, analyze, followup and dispense.  Your choice.

I'm rather impatient at this point, and there can't be any harm in attempting to get this done quicker. I'll try phoning up my doctor later today. He doesn't have the signed interpretation page from the sleep doctor yet, but nothing is going to change except her signature, which probably isn't even needed at this point considering that my insurance company doesn't need prior authorization. Here's to hoping. 

And that was actually going to be my next question, which machine. I'll look into the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and see what can be done. Do you have a recommended supplier? So far, I've only been looking at Supplier #1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just express your interest in managing your own care using your personal research and software. It's not rocket science with modern auto CPAP. An engaged patient is a successful one. Let him know you're confident in being able to do this and will work closely to show results. If you need a titration due to unforseen problems, it can always be done later. A CPAP titration is not required for insurance approval of equipment. You have the right as a patient to refuse a procedure or recommendation. It is increasingly common for patients to self-titrate. Lower costs and better results. Just get the prescription for auto CPAP, and you can even specify the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset For Her. Be sure the prescription says patient to self-titrate, and can have a starting pressure range of 5-15. You also need mask, heated tube, filters and related supplies.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 10:50 AM)deathscreton Wrote: Annnnnnnnnd drum roll please.

I've attached the results of my PSG down below. There's a ton of information, but the gist of it is this:

AHI: 19.6
REM AHI: 29.4 (don't know the difference. Maybe REM was just worse, so it has a different index count?)

I was officially diagnosed with moderate to severe SA with high counts of bruxism (teeth grinding) at night, 31 times. 

The next step is speaking with my doctor and setting up a titration. I want to just get a BiLevel, but that's overkill according to what I'm reading with the report(but the comfort I'd be giving up otherwise! D: I know resmed machines have EPR, so that should be okay. I'll have to do some additional research.), but I'm not sure how well an APAP would work considering the results from the home sleep study test. Provided nothing changes, an APAP should be just fine based on the PSG, so we can only hope. 

That being said, I need to start looking at machines! Big Grin Whooooh!

You might be able to skip the in-lab titration study?

For myself, I was surprised my insurance doesn 't require it. I'm evidently auto-titrating with an Autosense 10 Autoset for Her. Thanks to this board, I knew what machine to ask for. I still don't have it, but this would have dragged out way longer with a sleep study titration. Plus, that would have made me cranky with the sleep center staff, argumentative, irritable, generally impossible to be around 'cos you can't get any sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 625 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 379 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,461 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Diagnosis] Symptomatic but Sleep Apnea Negative per WatchPat Ninjaa 10 1,034 05-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ninjaa
  Help interpreting sleep study results - possibly UARS? georges089867 0 437 03-06-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: georges089867
  Seems like In-lab study is negative for SA, any advice/thoughts on what to do next? SteveIsTired22 0 404 01-25-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: SteveIsTired22
  Any downside/negative to having another provider/DME register device in AirView Spartan 3 670 12-07-2022, 12:12 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.