Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finished HST, possibly negative?
Ohmy 
Finished HST, possibly negative?
Hey all. First time poster, long time lurker. 

I've been reading the boards, studying the condition and it's possible side effects, took more online "tests and exams", and perused all types of CPAP (and it's derivatives) machines for months in preparation for what I thought would be a for sure thing in regards to having Sleep Apnea. But low and behold, I receive my HST results from the sleep study group (not signed, but evaluated) and it shows I tested negative. This is devestating because my sleep is absolutely terrible. I'm shook by multiple symptoms and have had to deal with them for years. They've only gotten worse, and I was hoping this would clarify and give me a direction. 

The Sleep Study Center rep that I spoke to, along with the results from the test did state that my oxygen saturation was below normal, around 81% at it's lowest. I also showed above normal RI, with one Apnea during the night they chose to evaluate. The test also had the recommendation for doing a lab study as: 

"Refer for an in-lab Polysomnography due to home sleep test not being sensitive enough to rule out OSA)."

How likely is it that I have OSA or some other variant? Would it be okay/helpful for me to post my HST here and have you look at it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finished HST, possibly negative?
It would be helpful, yes. I don't understand how it could not be sensitive enough. Did you have a chest band?

Oh, but I don't think it does brain waves, right? A formal sleep study would help to look at that. It would also help in diagnosing other sleep disorders and not just sleep apnea.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
So I can't post links for another two posts, and the upload quota is 200KB. Not even sure what that means, but I can't upload anything at the moment. Any ideas?

And yes, that is correct. the HST did not study brain waves or leg movement. I assume that the HST wouldn't test for CSA or other variants as all that was connected was nose tubes, finger oximeter, effort band and the chest belt.
Post Reply Post Reply
post with a space htt p://imgur.xxxxxx.png  we will figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi  deathscreton , welcome to the forum where you will find help. Although many members report satisfactory results from home sleep tests that has not been my experience. My results as reported were similar to yours. I did the home test in 2014 because of insurance changes and it did not report any apnea events however my doctor fell back on my in clinic results from 2001 which showed an AHI of 38. I think you should push for a sleep test in clinic.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByfEUmt...p=drivesdk

Space between p and s as requested. File is PDF format. I redacted personal identifiable info and the sleep study logo. If that information is needed, please let me know.

Hello Stan! I'm hoping this is the case. I've gone through my deductible, so another test would not be to extreme for me, so long as it proves what it needs to. It just the waiting that's agonizing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Under Medicare rules you qualify for Oxygen at night. I'm guessing you would also qualify for CPAP. Someone else here can probably shed more light on qualifying for CPAP based on O2 desaturation.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 03:01 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Under Medicare rules you qualify for Oxygen at night. I'm guessing you would also qualify for CPAP. Someone else here can probably shed more light on qualifying for CPAP based on O2 desaturation.

I have pretty good medical insurance that goes through my job. Should another sleep study prove useless, I could probably push for Oxygen. 

Another thing that worries me is that this may be symptoms of Nocturnal Asthma, which I'm hoping isn't the case. Even then, I think the treatment is similar to OSA. But one step at a time of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I'd get a sleep study. If your insurance will pay for it, do it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, get a full sleep study.  Your report mentions Loss of Libido.  Sleep Apnea is known to result in very low Testosterone levels.  Whatever is wrong with you, you need more detailed tests than an in-home study.  Keep after the doctors, don't accept "I just don't know" for an answer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 625 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 381 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,464 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Diagnosis] Symptomatic but Sleep Apnea Negative per WatchPat Ninjaa 10 1,040 05-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ninjaa
  Help interpreting sleep study results - possibly UARS? georges089867 0 437 03-06-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: georges089867
  Seems like In-lab study is negative for SA, any advice/thoughts on what to do next? SteveIsTired22 0 404 01-25-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: SteveIsTired22
  Any downside/negative to having another provider/DME register device in AirView Spartan 3 670 12-07-2022, 12:12 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.