Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finished my first CPAP night
Finished my first CPAP night
I had my first night last night with CPAP. I woke up a few times pretty annoyed with the pressure when it got high, but stuck with it. I didn't have crazy extra energy today, but I definitely was considerably less tired and emotional.

The only bad problem I had was I just couldn't feel like I was getting enough oxygen. Taking a deep breath didn't give me any relief and I had to really concentrate hard on convincing myself I don't need deep breaths. Nose breathing is fine. Almost gave up the last time I woke up, but stuck with it. I imagine that'll go away fairly quickly.

Most importantly, went from 40.4 AHI to 1.5!

Sleepyhead:

[Image: Y9arNX1.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finished my first CPAP night
In the lower left of your graph, it indicates some statistics on pressure that will let you put it in your profile, if you wish. Looks like a minimum of 5.0 and a maximum of 16.0.

I'll leave the interpretation to the experienced folks.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
That is an impressive first night! Your minimum is pretty low, that could explain the feeling that you are not getting enough oxygen. I'd increase that to 6 or 7 and see if that feels better.

As for the large pressure increases, bringing your min and max closer together, over time, will help that. But take the time to let your body and mind adjust first. You might want to consider dropping your maximum to help you adjust, at the probably expense of the therapy results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome! My first night was also last night, I went from an AHI of 15.0 to in the mid-4's.

I hope things continue to go well for you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Have to agree with Chill and raise that minimum to 7 or more.

For a first night that is impressive. I notice that you stopped therapy twice during the night and was wondering what the issues were that caused you to do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2016, 04:14 AM)holden4th Wrote: Have to agree with Chill and raise that minimum to 7 or more.

For a first night that is impressive. I notice that you stopped therapy twice during the night and was wondering what the issues were that caused you to do this.

I had a feeling someone would say to raise that minimum. About those two times.. I don't know.. I just woke up. Went to the bathroom both times.. second time felt discouraged and sat there a bit before going on.

Last night (night 2) I ended with a 6.4, but I only woke up once. I also slept on my back for the first half of the night, and had not at all the first night, so I'll be interested to see tonight after work if that 6 was inflated from that, then things went down when i rolled over.

Just before all this, for the last a lot of months, I had been getting up at least once an hour, so even that 2 times was great.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2016, 08:57 AM)rjbbjr Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:14 AM)holden4th Wrote: Have to agree with Chill and raise that minimum to 7 or more.

I had a feeling someone would say to raise that minimum. About those two times.. I don't know.. I just woke up. Went to the bathroom both times.. second time felt discouraged and sat there a bit before going on.

Last night (night 2) I ended with a 6.4, but I only woke up once. I also slept on my back for the first half of the night, and had not at all the first night, so I'll be interested to see tonight after work if that 6 was inflated from that, then things went down when i rolled over.

Just before all this, for the last a lot of months, I had been getting up at least once an hour, so even that 2 times was great.

Nocturia is a symptom of OSA and not having to get up three or four times a night to use the bathroom is the first blessing that CPAP brings you. I like a beer or two in the evening so one 'pit stop' is the norm. It's also a sign that your body is now focussing on those restoration processes that happen when you sleep because you have the oxygen in your system to make it happen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 624 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 349 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 633 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.