Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finishing Third Week
Finishing Third Week
Hello all,

I am now finishing my third week on bipap. I use a S9 VPAP S machine and I have a question someone may be able to help me with.

I have a good fit with my Swift FX mask now and my AHI is slowly beginning to drop and I am feeling much better in the morning. My bipap pressures are 14 and 8. I do not use the ramp feature on my machine anymore as the pressure doesnot bother me at startup.

My main question is that lately it seems that as I wake the pressure seems to be "not there" as I inhale and exhale. If I open my mouth I will get air escape but there seems to be very little resistance as I exhale and the inhale does not seems to be as strong as when I start bipap for the night. Am i getting "acclimated" to the pressures ? or should I have the machine checked by the DME for a possible machine problem? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finishing Third Week
As long as you AHI is looking good, I wouldn't worry about it. I would bet you are just getting acclimated to the pressure as the night goes along. I have experienced the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thx BabyDoc, It is a very weird sensation when it feels like the pressure is not there to fight you a little. Felt like I wore the machine out already.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just ended my third week and found it's easier and really best to not ramp. I always start at full pressure which in my case is 18 cmH2O/14cmH2O. This way I can check for leaks and adjust the mask before I fall asleep. A few nights ago I found a better position for my mask lower on my nose and it seems to stop my lower lip from falling out of the mask and waking me up from the gigantic air leak!

After 20+ years of progressively worsening sleep apnea I am feeling so much better... The scary part is even at the age of 75 I am going to be chained to this device the rest of life! But as the credit card used to say, "Don't leave home without it."

Everyone have a wonderful day!
Post Reply Post Reply
bingo, you are acclimated. Congratulations. I have to feel for the vented air from the mask sometimes to be sure it's working
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 10:40 AM)bingo49002 Wrote: Am i getting "acclimated" to the pressures ?
Congrats

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bingo49002, It sounds like you are getting used to your machine it's become second nature to you, great, congratulations.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just had my first 4.83 AHI night and feel great. AHI has been falling at a dramatic pace since breathing with no effort. Looking for numbers to continue to fall.

Thanks for all of the great info:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 10:32 AM)bingo49002 Wrote: Just had my first 4.83 AHI night and feel great. AHI has been falling at a dramatic pace since breathing with no effort. Looking for numbers to continue to fall.

So, it took three weeks for your AHI to fall below 5? In my case it took only 3 days, but I had lots of other problems.

I'm glad you posted that information here. Many times people ask about this phenomenon of AHI falling after the beginning of CPAP use. It's not always an instantaneous drop in AHI, sometimes it can take awhile.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt that I had "acclimated" right away as the pressure didn't seem to bother me. The real proof is in the drop in AHI and feeling better. I wonder if there is a differance in adjusting time between BIPAP and CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 563 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.