Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fire a DME
Fire a DME
I've received a ResMed S9 Autoset and I’m happy with the unit. I'm still struggling to find a mask that I like and the DME is less than helpful. How do I fire him/her? Would it be as simple as contacting Medicare and telling them that I would like to be associated with different DME? Or do I need to return the unit and start from scratch?

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fire a DME
When you say "return the unit", are you referring to the mask or the S9? Hopefully it's the mask - you definitely want to keep the S9.

If you can personally visit the DME, I would do so. That way you can see, and experiment with the masks they have on-hand. As a temporary work-around, you could visit the websites for the suppliers on the Supplier list ( http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List ) and see what they have.

Depending on where you live, I suspect forum members can recommend local DMEs who accept CMS payments/assignments. It took me a couple of months to find a local DME that accepted Medicare assignments. They were more than happy to order me my masks, even though they did not normally have them in stock.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I,m happy with mine too. keep the machine

get from Medicare their approved list of suppliers in your local area
and find one who works with on masks and send you supplies on regular basis

Post Reply Post Reply
Since my original post I've found a DME that seems egar to work with me and they are aware of my Medicare coverage. I see them at 9 AM Friday. I'll see what happens.

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2013, 05:51 PM)PollCat Wrote: When you say "return the unit", are you referring to the mask or the S9? Hopefully it's the mask - you definitely want to keep the S9.

Yes, I only want to return the loaned nasal mask. I'm hoping that changing DME's will only involve a clerical change and that I can keep the S9 that I now have.

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
VegasPier, looks like you have solved your problem. Great! I had a DME who told me I could not get my machine from them and order my masks from someone else. I quickly learned from Medicare that she was wrong. The Medicare folks know their rules and regs and always take as much time as you need. My current DME is very good, I'm lucky. They provided me the machine set up according to my prescription, the mask I asked for, and gave me a supply replacement schedule. The last folks didn't care if I ever needed new supplies as long as I bought from them. Invest in a relationship with a tech at the DME, cultivate that relationship, the DME is an important part of your treatment team and is invaluable if you need help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2013, 05:29 PM)VegasPier Wrote: I've received a ResMed S9 Autoset and I’m happy with the unit. I'm still struggling to find a mask that I like and the DME is less than helpful. How do I fire him/her? Would it be as simple as contacting Medicare and telling them that I would like to be associated with different DME? Or do I need to return the unit and start from scratch?

Cheers, VegasPier

Good luck. I'll most likely benefit by waiting it out for my lazy good for nothing to get me that AutoSet and then trade her in. She seems the only game in town - for the company she represents. Research showed that there are at least two other options and I'll deal with them after all the current mess is finished.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2013, 05:29 PM)VegasPier Wrote: I've received a ResMed S9 Autoset and I’m happy with the unit. I'm still struggling to find a mask that I like and the DME is less than helpful. How do I fire him/her? Would it be as simple as contacting Medicare and telling them that I would like to be associated with different DME? Or do I need to return the unit and start from scratch?

You can return the mask to the DME and thereafter will not be charged for it.

As for a new DME, you can go to any DME you like and you do not have to get permission from Medicare. The new DME will require a copy of the prescription from your doc, so that is the first step. When I changed DMEs I just went to my doc's office and asked for copies of my prescription and sleep study. The staff were delighted to provide them to me and encouraged me to work to find a CPAP solution that worked for me. I took the prescription to another local DME and have been thrilled with their great service. When I need new masks or parts my new DME just bills Medicare and everything works perfectly.

Edit: I should also mention that I am now in my ninth mask. I have ordered a couple online, a couple from the first DME, and the rest from my new DME. As long as you have a copy of your prescription anyone will sell you anything. Getting the copy of the prescription and scanning it to your computer is the key. I haven't tried ordering heroin on Craigslist, but I bet my prescription would work. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for responding. I've been traveling so have not been able to reply.The new DME suggested that it was too soon in the initial process (I've only had the equipment for a month) and that he would be happy to accept me as a patient after about six months. I don't need anything from the old company as my mask and S9 have been working just fine. I’ll see what happens in six months.

Cheers, Vegaspier
Post Reply Post Reply

I can't say how things work in other countries. But the person I deal with seemed to be arbitrarily assigned to me and her antics were less than impressive. She decided that I "needed" a low end model and I discovered Apnea Board after this point so I was at her mercy. She claims to be interested in helping me acquire an AutoSet but I found someone else and will try to expedite the situation. Someone else - from a competing company. Luckily around here she's paid by the provincial government and I don't have to fork over any money just to see her. I have high hopes that the new person I'm seeing on Friday will help me out. As for returning the unit I have - I'll wait until the S9 AutoSet is a sure thing. BTW this forum doesn't acknowledge "AutoSet" as a real word.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: FDA Fire Safety Alert Dreamstation 2 Gideon 15 1,260 12-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: kotaKat
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,807 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AB friends -- help me fire my sleep doc? cathyf 25 2,186 09-10-2021, 09:47 AM
Last Post: gettingbetter
  Cpap Filters Clogged with Forest Fire Smoke BrassCat 5 1,225 09-29-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  I need to fire Apria David Waples 11 6,578 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Last Post: heyheyrayray
  [CPAP] FIRE! Dreamcatcher 6 7,110 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Last Post: archangle
  [News] Smoke alarm credited with saving CPAP user from fire ApneaNews 1 3,029 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.