Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Firefox User Tip (Undocumented - I think)
Firefox User Tip (Undocumented - I think)
I have Firefox configured to open everything in a new tab and switch to it immediately. Occasionally, I'd like to open a tab but stay on the current page.  Especially when I filter the Apnea Board by "Today's Posts".  I would like to open the oldest unread post by the Forum it is in before actually starting to read them.  By accident (being lazy with my fingers), I found that holding the Shift and the Control keys at the same time will open a new tab in the background..  

Searches for a function like this have never produced a successful result in the past.  That's why I'm passing this tip along to everybody.

Of course, everyone else probably knew about this feature 2 weeks ago and I'm just late to the party.  If so, you can just say, "Bless his heart".

- Red
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Firefox User Tip (Undocumented - I think)
Firefox is my main browser as well.  I prefer to open tabs either in the same window or in a new window, so I don't use Settings to change the behavior, I just use the keyboard shortcuts.  Don't recall how I learned it, but it prolly was reading some of the help documents when Mozilla first published it.  I prolly wouldn't remember how to do it if I didn't use the shortcuts all the time.

This is a great tip, and it'll be nice to see it begin overflowing with helpful (or useless) tips.
Post Reply Post Reply
i have always right-clicked on a link and used 'open link in new tab' so i don't lose the original tab.
of course this doesn't take you to the new tab, but saves reaching all the way for SHIFT-CONTROL lol

but thanks for the tip. i will use that occasionally (if i remember)

i just experimented, ALT-CNTL opens link in new tab.
SHIFT-ALT opens link in new window
Post Reply Post Reply
I just experimented, ALT-CNTL and SHIFT-ALT don't do anything on my keyboard. I've always used right click open in new tab.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(06-19-2018, 04:46 PM)dwd1249 Wrote: I just experimented, ALT-CNTL and SHIFT-ALT don't do anything on my keyboard. I've always used right click open in new tab.

hmm… it's worked for me with a number of browsers (Chrome; I.E.; Opera; and one other that I can't remember – must have been longer ago than ah hour I last used it) and over many Windoze versions, beginning with XP SE.

dwd1249, did you understand that ozcedric was using verbal shorthand, and meant that when holding down both the ALT key and the CNTL key while clicking a link?

Here's the combinations:
<SHIFT>+ click link = new window, focus in the new window
CNTL+ click link = new tab, focus in the new tab
<SHIFT>+ CNTL+ click link = new tab, focus remains in the current tab.

I think it works the same way in MacOS/IOS as well.  Not sure, but I believe it also works that way in most versions of Linux
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2018, 08:58 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 04:46 PM)dwd1249 Wrote: I just experimented, ALT-CNTL and SHIFT-ALT don't do anything on my keyboard. I've always used right click open in new tab.

hmm… it's worked for me with a number of browsers (Chrome; I.E.; Opera; and one other that I can't remember – must have been longer ago than ah hour I last used it) and over many Windoze versions, beginning with XP SE.

dwd1249, did you understand that ozcedric was using verbal shorthand, and meant that when holding down both the ALT key and the CNTL key while clicking a link?

Here's the combinations:
<SHIFT>+ click link = new window, focus in the new window
CNTL+ click link = new tab, focus in the new tab
<SHIFT>+ CNTL+ click link = new tab, focus remains in the current tab.

I think it works the same way in MacOS/IOS as well.  Not sure, but I believe it also works that way in most versions of Linux

Oh thanks I see it now. Oh-jeez  My KB is on a slide and spends most of the time under the desk so I'll stick to using the mouse.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2018, 08:58 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: .  .  .   I believe it also works that way in most versions of Linux

You are CORRECT sir!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
For me Ctrl-click link opens a new tab but focus remains in current tab. Shift-Ctrl-click opens a new tab focus on new tab.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 01:00 PM)AlanE Wrote: For me Ctrl-click link opens a new tab but focus remains in current tab. Shift-Ctrl-click opens a new tab focus on new tab.

+ 1
[url=https:// To download ----> CLICK HERE ./]Download SleepyHead[/url]
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, if you have a clickable scroll wheel on your mouse (most are clickable these days), clicking the scroll wheel will also open a link in a new tab but keep the focus on current tab. I use that constantly.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft to ‘warn’ Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox Crimson Nape 16 1,595 10-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Keyboard wouldn't work in Firefox PaulaO2 8 749 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question Firefox 42 & lightshot add-on justMongo 4 1,061 11-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: archangle
Question Anyone having problens with Firefox crashing justMongo 11 2,073 05-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Last Post: AlanE
Exclaimation [How to]  User Names Not to Use PollCat 16 5,467 08-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ThatOtherGuy
  Firefox 29 PaulaO2 21 5,368 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Thumbsup New to this forum and new CPAP/APAP user ThatOtherGuy 1 1,695 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Tez62

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.