Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Firmness and Mattress type and apnea
Firmness and Mattress type and apnea
I am wondering what firmness of mattress that is used to help with apnea and if you think that a mattress makes a difference in helping with the apnea (of course, I don't mean cure it but help with it). I know some feel strongly about having the head of the bed raised, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Firmness and Mattress type and apnea
I'm considering getting an adjustable bed; not so much as an adjunct to sleep apnea treatment; but because I have back problems.
It's easier to get up from a semi sitting posture by rotating while keeping the spine in alignment.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Eh, not really. Raising the head of the bed is more for treating the air swallowing, if one has a problem with that. But it can also make sleeping on your side uncomfortable which leads to more back sleeping which leads to more apnea events.

I have a memory foam topper on my bed and with it, I am able to sleep on my back. I didn't think I was but apparently, I like that position a lot with this thing. Prior to it, I woke up after just a half hour or less of laying on my back because my back, hips, and legs would be screaming in pain. I am willing to have a slightly higher AHI in exchange for being able to have multiple sleeping positions.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some of us have the sleep-number mattresses, which allows us to set the desired firmness.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 07:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Eh, not really. Raising the head of the bed is more for treating the air swallowing, if one has a problem with that. But it can also make sleeping on your side uncomfortable which leads to more back sleeping which leads to more apnea events.

Raising the head of the bed does help the airways to remain open. Whenever I sleep with two pillows, my average pressure drops by 2 cmH2O.

Regarding the firmness of the mattress, I don't think it makes a difference. I love my memory foam mattress, though. If my spine could talk, it would be more than grateful!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 07:33 PM)PollCat Wrote: Some of us have the sleep-number mattresses, which allows us to set the desired firmness.

I think at 370 pounds, I would blow one those air cells in the sleep number mattress Bed
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I remember the first time I had an inkling that I had some sleep issues (I was already knee deep in sleep apnea, just didn't know it at the time and that was a few years ago), I bought a nice new memory foam matress. Not sure how firm it is but not very. It's great to have a mattress that doesn't creak when I lie down on it, but I don't think it made any difference in my apnea. I've also tried falling asleep in armchairs but I just can't do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I began treatment for sleep apnea, I used a wedge pillow under my upper body with a maximum rise of 5". According to my wife, it stopped my snoring. I do not think it helped my sleep apnea because I used the same wedge during my sleep study.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If you hadn't used that wedge, your apneas probably would have been worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am surprised that they let you use a wedge during a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 513 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 415 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,073 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 451 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.