Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Australian Health Insurers - CPAP benefits?
RE: Australian Health Insurers - CPAP benefits?
I got to this party late, but that may be a good thing because I get long-winded when talking about healthcare, or lack of it, in the United States. This is currently a very hot topic in the U.S. with the Affordable Health Care Act (AHCA), more commonly known as Obamacare, that went into effect fully this year. Who likes the act and who doesn't is very dependent on what your personal health insurance situation was prior to the law on 1/1/14. Having said that, I submit the following which I have addressed before briefly:

Bloomberg gave each country an efficiency "score," with a score of 100 representing a perfect system. According to Bloomberg, the top 10 countries and their scores are:

1. Hong Kong (92.6)
2. Singapore (81.9)
3. Japan (74.1)
4. Israel (68.7)
5. Spain (68.3)
6. Italy (66.1)
7. Australia (66)
8. South Korea (65.1)
9. Switzerland (63.1)
10. Sweden (62.6)

The United States earned an efficiency score of 30.8, putting it in 46th place, just behind the Dominican Republic (43rd), Turkey (44th), and Iran (45th). U.S. residents have a life expectancy of 78.6 years and health care costs of $8,608 per capita, Bloomberg reports. Moreover, health care costs represent 17.2% of the U.S. GDP per capita, more than in any other nation
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2014, 07:55 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote: They do online as well as bricks and mortar Aus-wide, I'm not really fussed if they get added to the list or not, I have no affiliation with them, its just a shame if we as users are denied access to good suppliers.
Okay I,m intrigued
Whats the name of the supplier ... please Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2014, 08:02 PM)Airstream Wrote: I got to this party late, but that may be a good thing because I get long-winded when talking about healthcare, or lack of it, in the United States. This is currently a very hot topic in the U.S. with the Affordable Health Care Act (AHCA), more commonly known as Obamacare, that went into effect fully this year. Who likes the act and who doesn't is very dependent on what your personal health insurance situation was prior to the law on 1/1/14. Having said that, I submit the following which I have addressed before briefly:

Bloomberg gave each country an efficiency "score," with a score of 100 representing a perfect system. According to Bloomberg, the top 10 countries and their scores are:

1. Hong Kong (92.6)
2. Singapore (81.9)
3. Japan (74.1)
4. Israel (68.7)
5. Spain (68.3)
6. Italy (66.1)
7. Australia (66)
8. South Korea (65.1)
9. Switzerland (63.1)
10. Sweden (62.6)

The United States earned an efficiency score of 30.8, putting it in 46th place, just behind the Dominican Republic (43rd), Turkey (44th), and Iran (45th). U.S. residents have a life expectancy of 78.6 years and health care costs of $8,608 per capita, Bloomberg reports. Moreover, health care costs represent 17.2% of the U.S. GDP per capita, more than in any other nation

Very interesting statistics Airstream. Are we talking about the health insurance system,private or national?. I assume the latter as in Australia there are many private health insurance companies.

My personal experience, particularly after my wife contracted a serious life threatening illness (twice) is that the public system here is first rate...if you are astute enough to have private cover as well. What we did was op for the public hospital system, but be admitted as a private patient. That way we we given the full treatments available without cost & the private insurance company paid the public hospital (read government) the cost back.

Having given the public health system a thumbs up, both the public & private system in Australia still fails to support people like me on claiming rebates on CPAP machines purchased outside of Australia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tassie Jeff: I don't know how you pay for all of your insurance in Australia, both public and private, but I suspect it is much less than someone here would pay for the same coverage.
Most people in the U.S. get their insurance paid for them by their employers- at least most of it- if they are employed full-time. If you don't work full time, you are on your own, with some exceptions (some military veterans, persons age 65 and over for example).
We do not have a national or so called universal health care system here- yet. With the new Healthcare Law providing government subsidies to help persons pay for their insurance depending on your family income, we are headed that way- I think.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2014, 08:02 PM)Airstream Wrote: Bloomberg gave each country an efficiency "score," with a score of 100 representing a perfect system.
United States spend more than other countries on health care , something like 17% of GDP

In Australia about 9% of GDP but with ageing population, increase level of chronic disease and rising health care costs, is putting too much pressure on the health care system. The system cannot be sustained, changes have to be made, we seeing already two tiers system ... one for the rich and one for the poor

Bloomberg obviously did not looked at life expectancy among indigenous Australians
10.6 years less than non-indigenous men and 9.5 less years than non-indigenous women

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 91 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 209 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 307 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Benefits of changing masks BreakingBaddd 5 552 10-21-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Stimulants - Any Benefits? cmpman1974 22 1,772 07-14-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  What changes to maximize therapy benefits? janelleb1985 6 633 05-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  6 months in, not feeling major benefits. Any advice? :( vegasboy 8 852 04-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: vegasboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.