Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Appointment with Sleep Doctor
First Appointment with Sleep Doctor
Good afternoon, On Thursday of this week I will see the sleep Dr. for the first time. I have been on the CPAP every night for about a month. I've not loaded all my data into Sleepyhead.
Background: At my titration I requested an Airsense For Her; I received a standard Airsense - respiration therapist: that's what the Dr. specified. The therapist subsequently recommended a change in initial ramping pressure (from 6 to 5) because of exhale problems I was having. The Dr.'s office said they would try to work me in. Received a call 3 weeks later, and an appointment schedule 2 weeks out from that.
I am sure that I will have, at best, 10 minutes with this Dr. (after, according to Healthgrades, a long wait). My question is: how can I make the very most of this appointment? My "events per hour" (from the Resmed "myair" data) have been mainly in the 7 -10 range. My mask leak, while not over the max on "myair", is not good. So, I have some issues which need to be addressed. My guess is that there will not be much time for data presentation/discussion.
How would those of you who are experienced proceed?
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Appointment with Sleep Doctor
I would get Sleepyhead software, load all my data and learn (with help here) to understand as much of the basic data as possible.
I would print out Sleepyhead reports and prepare a long list of questions, including a request for explanations of everything you don't understand and what can be done to improve your results in each area of concern.
I would hand a copy to the doctor as soon as he entered the room and let him know you expect answers before you leave.
Be prepared to take notes on the answer to each question and if he will allow it record the session.
You might say something like I am recording our session so I can review it until I understand all your recommendations so I won't need to call you repeatedly to repeat what you said.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sautéed,
Don't forget to ask for a copy of your perscription and sleep study. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto on the prescription and sleep study or studies.

Are you still having problems with exhaling? What EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief Setting) are you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, if you are having trouble just on exhaling, I would have adjusted EPR first, not lowered the top pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 07:21 AM)green wings Wrote: Ditto on the prescription and sleep study or studies.

Are you still having problems with exhaling? What EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief Setting) are you using?

EPR is (and has been) set at 3. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
(06-27-2016, 11:01 AM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: Yes, if you are having trouble just on exhaling, I would have adjusted EPR first, not lowered the top pressure.

The lowering suggested by the therapist is the bottom ramp number. The top number is 12. EPR is 3.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 05:36 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi sautéed,

I have a copy of the sleep study, but not the prescription. I will ask for it. Just curious - why do I need the prescription? (Sorry for the newbie question).
(06-26-2016, 11:16 PM)bwexler Wrote: I would get Sleepyhead software, load all my data and learn (with help here) to understand as much of the basic data as possible.
I would print out Sleepyhead reports and prepare a long list of questions, including a request for explanations of everything you don't understand and what can be done to improve your results in each area of concern.
I would hand a copy to the doctor as soon as he entered the room and let him know you expect answers before you leave.
Be prepared to take notes on the answer to each question and if he will allow it record the session.
You might say something like I am recording our session so I can review it until I understand all your recommendations so I won't need to call you repeatedly to repeat what you said.
I will tackle the Sleepyhead task. And I appreciate your suggestions for the appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need a copy of your prescription to buy CPAP machines and certain other CPAP supplies if you decide to by from someone who doesn't already have one. Who know, you may want to buy something online or decide to change equipment providers. It is also good to have a copy of the prescription and sleep study(ies) as backup in case you lose contact with your sleep doctor, you change sleep doctors or your insurance changes for some reason.

A lot of people scan them into their computer. I have given copies to all of my doctors and have a copy filed with the hospital I use. I have also printed and filed a couple of copies for easy access and carry copies in my CPAP carrying case when I travel.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2016, 03:46 PM)sautee Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 05:36 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi sautéed,

I have a copy of the sleep study, but not the prescription. I will ask for it. Just curious - why do I need the prescription? (Sorry for the newbie question).

No problems with the "newbie" questions. How would we know if we don't ask?

Anyway, you should always have a copy of your perscription. What if you change doctors, or DME or Supplier over time. They will want a script.

If you relocate or your doctor retires, it may be harder after the fact to obtain a copy.

If you want to buy online, depending what you are buying, they may request a script.

If you travel or go out of town and need something, you will need to show a script.

Just to play safe, ask for a copy, then scan it on your computer ready if needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sautee ,
I wish you good luck at your sleep doctor appointment.
You feel free to ask as many questions here as you need to, so you can better understand your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,734 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.