Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Appointment with Sleep Doctor
RE: First Appointment with Sleep Doctor
(06-26-2016, 11:16 PM)bwexler Wrote: I would get Sleepyhead software, load all my data and learn (with help here) to understand as much of the basic data as possible.
I would print out Sleepyhead reports and prepare a long list of questions, including a request for explanations of everything you don't understand and what can be done to improve your results in each area of concern.
I would hand a copy to the doctor as soon as he entered the room and let him know you expect answers before you leave.
Be prepared to take notes on the answer to each question and if he will allow it record the session.
You might say something like I am recording our session so I can review it until I understand all your recommendations so I won't need to call you repeatedly to repeat what you said.
I have a screen shot the Sleepyhead report "CPAP Statistics", but I apparently do not know how to attach it to this post. Where are those instructions? Also what else should I take to the sleep Dr.? Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2016, 03:18 PM)sautee Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 11:16 PM)bwexler Wrote: I would get Sleepyhead software, load all my data and learn (with help here) to understand as much of the basic data as possible.
I would print out Sleepyhead reports and prepare a long list of questions, including a request for explanations of everything you don't understand and what can be done to improve your results in each area of concern.
I would hand a copy to the doctor as soon as he entered the room and let him know you expect answers before you leave.
Be prepared to take notes on the answer to each question and if he will allow it record the session.
You might say something like I am recording our session so I can review it until I understand all your recommendations so I won't need to call you repeatedly to repeat what you said.
I have a screen shot the Sleepyhead report "CPAP Statistics", but I apparently do not know how to attach it to this post. Where are those instructions? Also what else should I take to the sleep Dr.? Thanks again.
For info- my AHI is 11.2 (most recent), 9.32 (last week), 8.5 (last 30 days), and 9.12 overall. Something is wrong.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum sautee! Can you post screenshots from Sleepyhead with your data (don't forget to 'white-out' your name or personal info). It will help the experienced CPAPer's to give you guidance on how to tune up your therapy.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
She said she didn't know how to attach the screen shots. I've seen a link for some very nice instructions ... does somebody have that link available?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2016, 04:01 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: She said she didn't know how to attach the screen shots. I've seen a link for some very nice instructions ... does somebody have that link available?

Is this the one you are talking about? http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Screenshot

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks to each of you for your input. My appointment with the Sleep Dr. was surprising - in a good way. I took a list of questions, and he actually addressed them. One of my primary questions is regarding atrial fibrillation. I had requested the initial sleep study because other "causes" of my afib had been eliminated. I really didn't think I had sleep apnea - no snoring - but guess what!!!
The Dr. changed the setting on my CPAP to 4-20 cm APAP. It was a terrible night - not enough air at 4 and glued together mouth at 20 when I finally slept 3 hours in. I called and he changed back to CPAP @ 11cm, but my DME didn't make the change. Thanks to this forum, I have the manual and I made the change. Still a high "events per hour."
So - after the 4th festivities I will concentrate on getting the Sleepyhead information published. I need some serious help. I want this to work, and I am far away from a satisfactory CPAP experience. Which charts should I post???
Thanks again for all your help!I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
See Organize your SleepyHead Charts for what to post and the link above for how to take the screen shots. Start with three consecutive days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 02:06 PM)chill Wrote: See Organize your SleepyHead Charts for what to post and the link above for how to take the screen shots. Start with three consecutive days.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that an "APAP setting of 4-20" should only go to 20 if your breathing indicates that you need it. 4 might have been too low to start at, though.

When you get a little bit more comfortable, and more time under your belt, you might be able to go to APAP with settings of, say, 9-13 (a little lower and higher than your current fixed setting of 11) and then read the charts to see if the machine *needed* to go to the 13 at any point. That's how you learn what settings your body actually needs. Then lather, rinse, repeat, with possibly wider settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://imgur.com/n2U6VUP
http://imgur.com/8HW4BPz
http://imgur.com/SasICZY

So this is NOT how to post the statistics, but imgur is not cooperating. I apologize. It looks like I really need help. On the plus side, I don't snore much.
Any observation would be appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,715 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.