Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Cold/Flu on Cpap. What to do? Please Advise.
RE: First Cold/Flu on Cpap. What to do? Please Advise.
I don't think anybody can read minds anyway even if somebody has something up there. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Susan,
I hope you get to feeling better, soon .
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
greter
(02-12-2015, 03:28 AM)me50 Wrote: Vicks on your feet then put on a pair of socks what we all said. I am not sure you need a doc yet but that is your call. A low fever wouldnt make me go to the doc but it is an individual call. Get well fast

Well, I have general sinus issues. I never thought about trying this.... until now.

I quickly looked up "foot reflexology", one of those mystical alternative medicines. Found the spots that "supposedly" correspond to the sinuses, eyes, and hips. I applied mentholatum to just those areas as they were the ones that offend me when I awake during the night.

First night it worked, I guess I am really gullible! Second night did the same thing, it worked again. Well, I am gonna keep trying it until I can prove it fails. Just a few more nights ought to do it.

he he.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks All,
I managed to fight off whatever was coming at me. There's a lot going around here of late. It gets confusing to be warmish weather and cold and flu season at the same time. As an East Coast girl, I expect those not to mix.

I did buy some new saline spray, I forgot to look for one of those vicks sticks, but will do, they smell great. (i've used eucalyptus essential oils to sniff in a pinch before, also a swiss product called albas oil has a breathing stick) I did not get sick enough to vicks my feet or have myself hyMOtized, or to press on my reflexology points. I also upped my humidity one point.

Will keep all these suggestions in mind for the next time.

The Hen is not cooked after all.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience is that when I go to bed with congestion the nasal pillows and pressure tend to clear it out and in about a few minutes maybe up to 5 or 6 minutes the problem is solved.

I have the pressure set to 15.

I do have the humidifier on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 05:15 AM)TheManseHen Wrote: Thanks All,
I managed to fight off whatever was coming at me. There's a lot going around here of late. It gets confusing to be warmish weather and cold and flu season at the same time. As an East Coast girl, I expect those not to mix.

I did buy some new saline spray, I forgot to look for one of those vicks sticks, but will do, they smell great. (i've used eucalyptus essential oils to sniff in a pinch before, also a swiss product called albas oil has a breathing stick) I did not get sick enough to vicks my feet or have myself hyMOtized, or to press on my reflexology points. I also upped my humidity one point.

Will keep all these suggestions in mind for the next time.

The Hen is not cooked after all.

Glad you're feeling better!

I keep a little container (one of those small jars that come in air travel container packs) filled with Vick's vapo rub in my nightstand drawer. Like Sleepy, the air pressure itself is usually enough to blow my nasal passages right open when I'm congested. I've been known to jack the machine way, waaayy up for a few minutes as a congestion "pre-treatment", then reset it back where it belongs for the night. But if that isn't enough to do the job and I still feel too restricted, I grab my trusty jar o' Vicks and stick it next to the intake on my machine.

I once tried a couple drops of straight eucalyptus oil in the jar, but that stuff is mighty strong when it's getting powered right up your nose! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Susan,
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. There's nothing worse than being sick, and now, using CPAP, I'm not sure what I'd do. I hope you get it worked out quickly. I do recommend getting as many fluids in as possible. One of my go to fluids is Sweet and Sour Soup from the local Chinese restaurant. Works wonders!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Sparkle, Thanks. Whatever it was, just passed on by and it didn't become anything. Well living in San Francisco, hot and sour soup is one thing I can find in every block pretty much. Thanks for the reminder of how good that tastes when sick. Hope I remember it when I need it next time. Must write list.

Hootie, good ideas there. I like the vicks near the intake idea!

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 224 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 310 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,169 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 522 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 732 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 547 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Treatment] Request for Advise on my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel ExXGZmpK 25 3,000 06-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: ExXGZmpK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.