Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Cold with CPAP
First Cold with CPAP
I'm suffering from my first cold since starting therapy. I had the mask on my face for about 3.5 hours last night with AHI of 10.3 Sad

I guess I should get a full face mask for times like these.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Cold with CPAP
Hi GingerMan512,
I've had a couple of colds since I started CPAP, and thought I would need a full face mask. It made no difference, and was very uncomfortable. I do a lot better with the nasal pillow mask as the pressure is blowing directly though your nasal passages and opens them up more.

As to your AHI, how much higher is that reading of 10.3 than you normally have?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm normally about 3 AHI. It was likely higher as I likely slept a few hours without the pillows in. I didn't wake up with a headache or anything just really congested. The pillows seemed to have been able to blast through the crud a little bit but not enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2015, 08:26 AM)GingerMan512 Wrote: I'm normally about 3 AHI. It was likely higher as I likely slept a few hours without the pillows in. I didn't wake up with a headache or anything just really congested. The pillows seemed to have been able to blast through the crud a little bit but not enough.

3 AHI is pretty good. When you get over your cold, you may want to consider moving your minimum pressure up a bit, maybe to 6.

Don't give up, I know it's miserable when you have a cold.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GingerMan512,
When I have had colds, I’m usually able to keep using my pillows or nasal masks but I’m going to have an FFM on hand, just in case I need it.
I hope you whip that cold really soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,236 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 884 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 947 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.