Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Impressions?
First Impressions?

Good evening!

I am trying to get first impressions about this OSCAR data- I have used Sleepyhead and OSCAR is comfortable for me. My docs all say that my Sleep Apnea is well controlled, but I wanted to see what you think about this night's data. It's the most recent night, not any different than a regular night for me. I do have Narcolepsy, and I do know that I take off my mask when I am asleep sometimes. I also have to wake up half way through the might to take XYREM (which is when the machine started up again after that long break in the middle. Please tell me what you think, or if you want more info. I'm trying not to bias answers so I'm trying not to include too much info.
Thank you for your help and patience!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Impressions?
It doesn't say on the left hand side, but in the seems you have the max pressure at 11?
I would have that as your min pressure and raise the max to 20 and see where the machine wants to land. You will have a better idea then. There may also be positional apnea that could be worked with. You could read about mask fit in the link below, There is a leak to sort out.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
At 8.5 to 11.0 Auto CPAP with unknown Flex, you have an acceptable AHI with mostly hypopnea and a mix of OA and CA. Your auto CPAP is at the maximum set pressure throughout the night, and that suggests you might want to try a higher maximum pressure. I think your chart would be easier to read if you turned off VS2 events. You seem to need higher pressure to clean this up, and we might want to look closer that the cause of why pressure is persistently at our maximum setting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once pressurized air begins to slip past seals around our faces, it's going to cause arousals; we'll partially awaken, and someone with sleep disturbances might simply yank the mask off end attempt to resume sleeping.  You'll have to figure out how to control the mask removal, and the first step will be getting a grip on the mask seal.  Maybe sleep position is the problem, maybe poor fit...not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replies! I have had some more things come up these past weeks, but I did raise the pressure a smidgen. It didn't help much, but I can say I have tried in the past to go wide open to 20 and it maxed out around 14 or so (I think) but gave me bad aerophagia. Also, it seemed like I could get a pressure that worked for a few days, then it would start maxing out and I would raise it, and repeat that cycle.

I will try this again, however, because circumstances have changed. I have had mask leaks increasing, so maybe I should tighten my mask, too. I am going to try these out and post them in a few days.

Here is a screenshot without the VS2, etc, too.

THANK YOU for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
By all means tighten your straps, but in this case as with some other matters in life, less is more.  Measure where your strap ends lie against their mate headgear pads, and then tighten them only by a couple of mm if possible.  If you make great changes, you'll run the risk of deformation and actually make things worse.

Once again, don't be surprised if we end up agreeing that you should probably spend some time getting used to a different headgear and mask.  In fact, quite a few people who post here regularly own two different masks, and not just for variety; they need to wear them occasionally much like active people are encouraged to have two pairs of sports footwear.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I changed the settings to min 10 max 16 with a 20 min ramp from 8.5. I also tightened my mask quite a bit. Here is the data from the last few days:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good to me, I'd leave it as it is. Tweak the leaks a bit more. Now you need to keep the mask on. You aren't doing too bad with 2.5 - 3,5 hours at a time before taking it off and you are putting it back on when you wake up again. You really need to keep it on and go back to sleep. I was waking every 1.5hr when I started. it may be disturbing when it's on, but remember, you are choking when it's off.

dreamstation has a mask fit function, that blows high pressure air, to help you fit the mask.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you nailed it! Good job, and I agree with holding at these settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the feedback!

Unfortunately, I must wake up in the middle of the night to take a second dose of Xyrem- it's a Central Nervous System depressant that helps me stay asleep, because without it I wake up every 45 minutes or so because of the Narcolepsy.

I tightened the mask, and that seems to be doing fine, but now my RDI is going up- I am seeing an increase in Hypopneas and Centrals, but at least it's staying below 5.0.

I did notice this in Oscar, and I've seen it before, but it wasn't surrounded by Centrals like it is now. I am worried it might be Periodic Breathing, but Oscar is not saying it is... any thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResVent iBreeze impressions and OSCAR support? LS38 22 6,375 06-26-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset first impressions buddy0329 3 992 07-04-2021, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Rice95
  Dreamstation A-CPAP first impressions kenmbz 2 741 10-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Last Post: kenmbz
  AirSet 10 Autoset, Dreamwear, F20 - first impressions Dyssomniac 6 1,422 01-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Pete G
  Impressions of data Cam12 16 2,777 11-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Cam12
  Nasal vs nasal pillows: my impressions rhodesengr 8 3,885 06-29-2016, 10:40 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.