Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Month
First Month
I talked to the Dr because most days I was just exhausted, especially after work.  Some days my head didn't feel tired but my body felt like it was trying to move in water.  Got sent for a study (which I have requested my own copy yet).  8 AHI, 02 down to 88.  On the treatment study he claimed 0 apneas and 02 in the 90s.  Went through a bunch of crap with cancellations and the Drs not communicating between themselves and me (talked to family Dr in march didn't get machine til Oct).  Had done a little bit of pre-reading in groups and such.  Seen a bunch of problems, seen a bunch of success.  The number one thing that stood out with the success was "stick with it".  Had seen a bunch of advice about getting used to using it gradually.  Figured I had made it through 2 sleep studies, I should just be able to throw it on and use it.  So I did. 
  At first the mask was too tight and I got soreness on the bottom left side of my nose.  Then it was too loose and I was getting woke up with air in my face.  Now I think I'm close but the left side of the nose part leaks sometimes, like the part that goes under my nose folds up.  And I struggle with getting congested at night.  Using flonase but doesn't seem to do much.  I put eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball next to the intake which helps a little.
  Been using a knock off Fitbit to track sleep.  It's not very accurate and it only tells me deep and light sleep.  However, it does seem to match up with my events on Oscar.
  So far most days I don't have the extreme exhaustion but still very tired.

week continued

last day and month overview

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Month
Have patience it can take awhile for things to work out. Some people take months for improvements. Some of us would sit in front of the tv getting used to it and getting the mask adjusted before sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be that your AHI was reasonably low to start with and CPAP may not make that much difference. Did your doc explore any other possible reasons for your tiredness - blood tests etc.?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did they give you an RDI number from your study?

In any case, I would think you might benefit from higher minimum pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, and congratulations on getting through your first month!

It sounds as though you are making progress with your mask. Do you have the impression that a flatter or firmer pillow might help to prevent annoying leaks? Have you looked at the special pillows that help people hang their masks off the edge when they side-sleep? (Go to Amazon and search on "cpap pillows" to get an idea of what is out there.) Do you ever have the impression the hose is tugging the mask out of position? If yes, we can suggest ways to manage the hose.

I agree with slowriter that you might try a higher minimum pressure, partly because your machine is a little slow to respond to events. You don't have to do anything dramatic right away; try just nudging it up to 6.5 and see what that's like. If it's fine, try 7 and see what *that's* like.

Most of your events are hypopneas, and sometimes they show a bit of clustering. You might consider trying a soft cervical collar in case the clusters are associated with your tucking your chin down toward your chest. Lots of good information on the Board Wiki:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Finally, you probably know this, but it could be a while before you start to feel good again, and the improvement may be somewhat gradual and subtle. That's where "stick to it" will continue to serve you well. Remind yourself that already you've improved from exhausted to tired. Please keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2019, 09:00 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: Have patience it can take awhile for things to work out. Some people take months for improvements.   Some of us would sit in front of the tv getting used to it and getting the mask adjusted before sleep.
  I just threw it on.  The mask part doesn't bother me except I get stuffed up when going to bed.
(11-24-2019, 04:01 AM)sleepyp Wrote: It may be that your AHI was reasonably low to start with and CPAP may not make that much difference. Did your doc explore any other possible reasons for your tiredness - blood tests etc.?
Checked thyroid and I'm on vitamin D
(11-24-2019, 09:19 AM)slowriter Wrote: Did they give you an RDI number from your study?

In any case, I would think you might benefit from higher minimum pressure.
No, I don't know what that is.
(11-24-2019, 06:54 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Welcome, and congratulations on getting through your first month!  

It sounds as though you are making progress with your mask.  Do you have the impression that a flatter or firmer pillow might help to prevent annoying leaks?  Have you looked at the special pillows that help people hang their masks off the edge when they side-sleep?  (Go to Amazon and search on "cpap pillows" to get an idea of what is out there.)  Do you ever have the impression the hose is tugging the mask out of position?  If yes, we can suggest ways to manage the hose.

I agree with slowriter that you might try a higher minimum pressure, partly because your machine is a little slow to respond to events.  You don't have to do anything dramatic right away; try just nudging it up to 6.5 and see what that's like.  If it's fine, try 7 and see what *that's* like.

Most of your events are hypopneas, and sometimes they show a bit of clustering.  You might consider trying a soft cervical collar in case the clusters are associated with your tucking your chin down toward your chest.  Lots of good information on the Board Wiki:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Finally, you probably know this, but it could be a while before you start to feel good again, and the improvement may be somewhat gradual and subtle.  That's where "stick to it" will continue to serve you well.  Remind yourself that already you've improved from exhausted to tired.  Please keep us posted, would you?
I can't wear a chin strap.  I can't handle things being too close to my neck. I feel like I'm choking.  Even a lightly wrapped scarf is too much, or a shirt with a small collar.

Thank you all for the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,042 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 606 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
Smile Three month overview outasleep 5 549 11-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: outasleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.