Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night
First Night
Machine arrived today... I had a great on-line purchase experiance. Got it all set up, preliminary numbers input, first mask adjustments made... Now I wait for sleepy time... This is so exciting...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night
will you be able to sleep? Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
What are you numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DWaldman,
I hope your first night went well.
It’s good to hear that you had a good online experience, how exciting to get a new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First morning...
Here are the sleep study numbers: Epworth 20, sleep time 5.9hrs out of 8.1, eff = 73%.Prior pap no centrals, 33 OSA's, Low O2 level of 83%, AHI index was 22.8 CPAP AT 11 CM reduced AHI to 1.5.
Set machine last night to 9-17, humidity 85, ramp 7 for 15. Slept for 9 hours, though some of that time was time spent on setup. At the end this morning, AHI was 0.7.
I feel good, only got up once last night to pee as to the usual 3 or 4, Felt like I had a bit of a harder time falling asleep because of the mask, but that may have been an illusion. Some nose soreness noted during the night on the left nostril by the septum, sleep position adjustment helped relieve it, I am sure I need to fine tune mask fit plus find a good nasal ointment.
Next steps: Turn off ramp, don't think I need it, makes me feel a little restricted. Raise humidity, slight bit of throat congestion during the night and this morning, make mask adjustments to help relieve pressure on left nostril. Get another good night's sleep. ( Will propbably be a nap later, good sleep feels so good.) I also need to make a trip to Staples for a card reader so I can use Sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear your first night went well!
Good-work
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doin' good! re: falling asleep - It does take some time to get used to sleeping with equipment - even after a year I still struggle some, but not as much as without it! You were so excited about your first night I wondered if you would be like a 1st grader the night before school starts Big Grin
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
as for the ramp feature, there are two ends to the ramp.
There is a starting pressure and if that is too low it will be uncomfortable.

If you can put the mask on, with ramp off, and are able to relax and breathe with the pressure then you probably don't need to use ramp. If it takes you too long to relax then you might benefit from using ramp and could look to adjust how long of a ramp time is best for you

Glad you hit your numbers out of the park on the first night, now to get the comfort settings right for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Took a short nap this afternoon, (played hooky from work.), and used the large pillows instead of the medium. I was able to relax the the straps a good bit and maintain a seal with the machine on. My trial fit last night was a static one, Machine off, make it comfortable, and no leaks when blocking the hose. I loosened the straps a bit during the night, but never got it quite right. the larger pillows this afternoon were much better. Proof it pays to expirement with your equipment. Will post tommorow after tonight's sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.