Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Picked up CPAP today
Picked up CPAP today
I picked up my CPAP today and am getting set up for my first night. They told me to wear it for awhile while I'm awake to get used to it, but I feel like I'm not getting enough air with it on. I've got a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for her. Is there something I can adjust or do I just have to get used to it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Picked up CPAP today
That "not enough air" feeling is usually because you're on a very low pressure setting. What are your pressure settings? And is the Ramp feature on? Ramp starts you out at a low pressure and builds gradually to your prescribed pressure. Either of these things could be the issue, and both are things you can adjust. If you need help getting into the clinical menu where the pressure information is stored, see here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

When you report back about your current settings we can help you make some adjustments so it will be more comfortable for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure is 4 to 14 and it's on autoramp. It's currently at 4. Thanks, I'll check out the link
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2015, 01:22 AM)usertc Wrote: The pressure is 4 to 14 and it's on autoramp. It's currently at 4. Thanks, I'll check out the link

That minimum pressure of 4 is the culprit. That's what you're feeling when you're using the machine while awake.

You can turn off Ramp if you want, it's an optional comfort feature but it's not comfortable for everyone. Then, while awake on the machine bump up the minimum pressure from 4 to 5, see how it feels, if still not enough air, try 6, etc. Don't go higher than you need to in order to feel you can breathe pretty comfortably. Some of this is a matter of time and adjustment, but few people ever get really comfortable with 4 and most quickly increase that minimum pressure up so they can be more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2015, 01:22 AM)usertc Wrote: The pressure is 4 to 14 and it's on autoramp. It's currently at 4. Thanks, I'll check out the link
When Ramp time set to Auto, the machine will detect sleep onset and then gradually increase start pressure to the minimum set pressure at rate 1 cmH2 per minute. If sleep onset is not detected, the machine will reach set pressure within 30 minutes

As the minimum pressure is 4, start pressure cannot be lower than 4, so you'll at 4 for 30 minutes, unless you fall asleep sooner and the machine will start auto-adjust pressure as needed

Excuse me, if say, the people who set the machine for you are clueless

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the best SA forum around usertc!! You have come to the right place to get help!

Welcome
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I survived the night and it wasn't too bad. The worst was getting past the start pressure. I followed the instructions and turned up the low number and saved it, but it still stayed at 4 while I was awake. I'll call my sleep tech today and see if she can change it.

Anyway, I woke up a few times during the night with mask leaks and discomfort, but fell right back to sleep once I adjusted it. I'm supposed to have a Respironics Amara View full face mask, but they didn't have the right size and had to order it. I have a Contour Deluxe nasal mask from a hospital stay 2 years ago, so I'm using that temporarily.

Only 1 event per hour, down from 50 events per hour Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Both the minimum pressure and starting pressure for Ramp need to be increased. Chances are, you only changed the minimum pressure range for APAP. As suggested earlier, simply turning off ramp is a solution most of us use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi usertc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a good start. I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but just stick with it, it does get better.
Much success to you on your CPAP journey
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my machine for 6 weeks and started out using the ramp set at 5. My fixed pressure setting is 11. After reading various posts on this great forum I figured out I'd be better without the ramp. The 5 setting doesn't provide enough air--I was breathing very deeply to get what felt like enough then it too awhile to slow down when the ramp was ended. I think I am getting to sleep faster without itI just have to prepare myself for that first blast of 11 air!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 816 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today slam7241 13 1,174 09-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My silly question for today. David Clark 9 964 03-30-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: RayBee
  Got a Luna cpap today and don’t know why ? Makai1959 10 4,108 12-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Just got a new machine today, Airsense 11 ! jellojeep 2 953 10-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jellojeep
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 978 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123
  Unsure How to Deal with DME Today hyphicti 9 927 04-28-2021, 02:02 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.