Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night Interpretation
First Night Interpretation
Hello All,

I just created my account on this board. I'll start with a quick backstory on how I got here!

For the last 10+ years I have been dealing with several issues including brain fog and waking up every morning feeling like I've been hit with a truck as well as a handful of other symptoms. I have spoken to multiple Doctor's about this and have gotten many tests done including thyroid, vitamin D, Vitamin b12, hormones, etc, all of which have come back in ideal ranges. Recently my wife mentioned that I snore and brought up the possibility of sleep apnea. I started lurking in this forum and the Reddit forum and decided this was worth pursuing. I scheduled a Doctor's appointment and requested a sleep study. He put in an order for an at home test through my hospitals lab but I have NOT had this study yet. I am still waiting for the office to call about getting the equipment to me.

After lurking in the forums a bit more and checking Facebook marketplace, I decided to just buy a used Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, to try for a night to see if it detected any events. I have attached an Oscar screenshot to this post. Here is some information I feel may be important.

I am not sure if the mask is a good fit. I woke up a bunch during the night. Sometime around 2-3A.M. I woke up for an extended period and had to make some adjustments to the machine and my mask. I feel pretty tired this morning. I think my nostrils cleared up a bit through the night. I may have been breathing more through my nose after the extended wake up.

For the first night I used the following settings:
Automod
Max pressure: 14
Min Pressure:7
EPR: 3

Based on the attached information I had the following questions that I was hoping you all could help me with:

Are the attached charts characteristic of someone who has sleep apnea? (I still plan to get the sleep study once the Doctor's office calls me)
If yes,
Does this look like OSA, UARS, or CA?
What changes to my settings would you suggest I try?
How do I know what size mask to get?
What full face mask would you recommend for a mouth breather?

Thank you all for any input you can offer!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night Interpretation
"Does this look like OSA, UARS, or CA?"
You seem to have a mixed bag of apnea, CA's, Obstructives and Hypopnea.  You're already using EPR to its fullest, which you need for Flow Limitation, and Hypopneas, but the same use of EPR can cause Clear Airway events.  
When you have results from your sleep study, please post a copy here.  If would be good to see what the study shows.  If you are prone to Clear Airways, then we would tone down the EPR.  It will be a balancing act.

"What changes to my settings would you suggest I try?"
I would raise the minimum pressure a bit to help with Obstructives. Try a setting of 8cm minimum.

"How do I know what size mask to get?"
That is mostly trial and error.  I would go with comfort first and be sure it isn't leaking air. You would be able to feel that.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

"What full face mask would you recommend for a mouth breather?"
I'll let others that use a full face mask advise.  The Mask Primer may be of some help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Smile How is my OSCAR data looking? Help with interpretation deirdrepen 3 228 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 268 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 688 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 363 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with flow limitation interpretation Clementine39 6 447 01-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.