Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nasal Mask and pressure
Nasal Mask and pressure
I am trying a nasal pillow mask. If I start mouth breathing will it show up as a leak? Thanks Diane
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask and pressure
(01-20-2014, 08:29 AM)Diane Bart Wrote: I am trying a nasal pillow mask. If I start mouth breathing will it show up as a leak? Thanks Diane

most likely. I am just guessing here but I would think that a part of that would depend on how long you are mouth breathing (or that your mouth is open); if it isn't but a quick sec or there is some small leaking from the corner of your mouth and isn't long, it may not show up as a leak.

I know I was using the blower to dry my hose and it took a little while before the high leak alarm went off. I am sure others will have more info for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether or not is shows as a leak, the real problem will be air rushing out your mouth instead of into your lungs. If you think an open mouth is going to be a problem, buy a chin strap to keep your mouth closed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Diane,
If you think you are going to breathe from your mouth, you could try a chinstrap to see if that helps you.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried a chin strap it was a no go. Using the nasal mask I woke with dry mouth. Changed to ffm same dry mouth even with wet mask in the morning. Will my AHI reading be correct with nasal mask if I open my mouth? I have no way of knowing how long mouth is open.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 08:29 AM)Diane Bart Wrote: I am trying a nasal pillow mask. If I start mouth breathing will it show up as a leak?

It might be helpful to distinguish between mouth-breathing and mouth-leaking. Mouth-breathing can occur when your nose is plugged up with congestion. If this happens while wearing a nasal mask the flow rate will drop to essentially zero because no air is moving through the CPAP hose. That's not going to show up as a leak.

On the other hand, mouth-leaking is something that occurs when you're wearing a nasal mask, your mouth drops open, and the pressurized CPAP air comes hissing out of your mouth. This will show up as a leak because lots of air will be flowing through the CPAP hose.

The CPAP machine has two sensors that it uses to draw all of its conclusions: a flow rate meter and a pressure sensor. When the flow rate meter is spinning it means air is traveling through the CPAP hose. The rate at which it spins is used to determine the flow rate, and when the flow rate is too high it concludes that you have a leak.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 11:22 AM)Diane Bart Wrote: Tried a chin strap it was a no go. Using the nasal mask I woke with dry mouth. Changed to ffm same dry mouth even with wet mask in the morning. Will my AHI reading be correct with nasal mask if I open my mouth? I have no way of knowing how long mouth is open.

I'm sorry you're having this problem. Some people have recommended a product called biotene mouth wash to help with the dry mouth. Most of these issues that we experience with CPAP therapy are temporary, and they go away as our bodies adjust to the therapy.

To answer your question, the CPAP machine can't really determine the AHI accurately when the leak rate is too high. It doesn't matter though, because if the leak rate is too high the CPAP can't maintain the pressure splint and your airway collapses as if the CPAP machine isn't even there.

Getting your leak rate under control is first and foremost when it comes to CPAP therapy. If your leak rate is not under control, then nothing else matters.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 11:22 AM)Diane Bart Wrote: Tried a chin strap it was a no go. Using the nasal mask I woke with dry mouth. Changed to ffm same dry mouth even with wet mask in the morning.
Dry mouth is from mouth breathing, You,ll experience dry mouth somewhat using full face mask. what do you mean "even with wet mask" ... rainout or some moisture from your breath

Leak number include mask leak and mouth leak. The number you see on the screen is the 95th percentile which means leak was at or below this number for 95% of the time using the machine so you need to check the detailed data for a better picture of whats gong on. Good mask fit indicate 70th percentile leak was less than 24 L/m but any leak small or large if interfere with your sleep must be addressed

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 341 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.