Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night On Cpap (headache)
RE: First Night On Cpap (headache)
(01-17-2014, 01:34 PM)ChadIAm Wrote: SnuffySleeper, I am with JohnNJ on this... Morning headaches prior to CPAP use and During sounds like another issue all together... I would speak to your Dr about the headaches... I have severe Cental Apnea and I have supplemental Oxygen added at 3L/min

Interesting you mention Central Apnea. I didn't want to read too much into one night and looking at sleepyhead but the majority of the 1.88 is clear airway (meaning I stopped breathing?) and I am not sure what to think of this data yet.

AHIApnea / Hypopnea Index 1.88
HypopneaHypopnea 0.19
ApneaUnspecified Apnea 0.00
ObstructiveObstructive Apnea 0.38
Clear AirwayClear Airway Apnea 1.32

I'll see how tonight goes, and keep an eye on it. Unfortunately it takes a LONG time to get an appointment with my sleep doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 01:43 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:
(01-17-2014, 01:31 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Yep, you are reading it correctly. I did have morning headaches before Cpap. My sleep doctor said it was because of my severe sleep apnea at 49 AHI, but this headache first night on Cpap is much different.

I don't know enough to contradict what your doctor told you. All I can tell you is that my AHI was higher than yours plus my O2 sat was 58% and I never woke up with a headache.

Everyone is different. Hope you find a way to avoid headaches.

Thanks, just curious. Where can I find my o2 sat levels in sleepyhead or resscan? How did you know yours?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 02:09 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Thanks, just curious. Where can I find my o2 sat levels in sleepyhead or resscan? How did you know yours?

The O2 sat level was from my first sleep study, before using a machine. It was the test that determined that I had sleep apnea and the number was in the report the doctor gave me. I'm sure you could get a copy of yours.

I have no idea what it is with the machine. There's a separate device used to measure that which I don't have.
Post Reply Post Reply
You would have to have an oximeter to follow your o2 saturation. When you did your sleep study they would have put one on you. The little device that goes on your finger is an oximeter. Your o2 saturation should be listed on your sleep study report. It wouldn't be listed on your sleepyhead data. That only provides data collected by your CPAP machine. The oximeter is separate and can be purchased should you want to check your own oxygen level.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Oxygen Numbers came from my sleep study. I my Oxygen stats were 73-75%. You should be able to ask the question about your report or obtain a copy of the results to check your numbers yourself. I used to eat a bottle of Excedrin every week... Now that I use VPAP therapy and Supplemental O2 I have no more headaches. I also use Nasal Pillows and not a mask. I have a chin strap coming to see if I have mouth leakage because my leakage numbers tend to be above average. Good Luck with that... I used to know that feeling of waking up with headaches so bad I could barely get the bottle of Excedrin open to take it!

JohnNJ..... 58% OMG that's SCARY LOW!
Post Reply Post Reply
Me, I wouldn't stress too much for the first few days. Both you and your body have a lot of adjusting to do! Granted, the mask that works for one may not work for another, but a 'Wisp' should be able to be worn very loosely with zero leaks. Play with the 3 different sizes during the day to find the one that feels most comfortable.

I bet, the headaches will go away completely within the month, hopefully much sooner.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I am going to ask for my sleep report from the doctor monday. They never provided it to me, he just quickly showed me a printed wav form (like the one in sleepyhead) with big red circles everywhere.

My second night was MUCH better, still not great by any means but I woke up feeling somewhat normal and my head throbbed a bit but went away in about an hour. Hopefully tonight will be even better.

ps. - Good job on the wiki Peter_c it was very helpful to me after I was diagnosed Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 05:43 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: ps. - Good job on the wiki Peter_c it was very helpful to me after I was diagnosed Smile

Err - no credit to me~! I have yet to touch the WIKI, I am but a new guy around here myself. It's all the rest of the crew that has done all the good work, not me!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahh..ok. Well I take it back then! Smile

I was thinking the "wiki editor" title under your user name meant you ran the wiki here. I am new, but learning fast.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hehe - nope - my big website days are over. If my health ever improves and stabilizes, I do hope to 'help' with the WIKI, but I have done *ZERO* so far, and others can help too if they wish~!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,204 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 120 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 225 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 135 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,208 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 950 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 416 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.