Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night Results on CPAP
First Night Results on CPAP
I think I had a good start.  Tried to take screen shots but was having issues that need to be resolved for future posting to obtain meaningful feedback.

ResMed AS10 Autoset 6cm-10cm

Brief summary of last night is:

5.09 hours 

AHI 23.07
Obstructive Index 3.21
Hypopnea Index
Clear Airway Index 19.86
RERA Index 0.0

Ave Pressure 7.38
Min Pressure 5.0
Max 10.0
90% pressure 0.0
Ave EPAP 5.29
Min EPAP 4.02
Max EPAP 7.00

I pretty much understand this except for the Clear Airway Index 19.86 - what is this?

My thought is to change the max to 12 cm h20

I know this is limited without screen shots but does anything stand out - other than the CA at least in my mind.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night Results on CPAP
It's not unusual for CA to be present as you start CPAP therapy, but the wrong response is to raise pressure. CA is an apnea that occurs when the airway is not obstructed. There can be any number of causes, from simply changing your position in bed, or holding your breath, to actual respiratory suppression caused by an imbalance in CO2 (see "respiratory drive and central apnea").

Generally we recommend minimizing pressure fluctuations, lowering pressure and reducing EPR when CA is present. In your case we can give it another day or so before making changes, but you are using EPR at 2; try turning that to 1 or off before making other changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man this is exactly what's happening to me in the first week, and what I've just started getting help with here. Just for your reference, since it was confusing for me at first, Clear Airway = Central Apnea. I think for me, my body is confused about this machine, and is stopping breathing, in my case, for around 10 seconds at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 10:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's not unusual for CA to be present as you start CPAP therapy, but the wrong response is to raise pressure.  CA is an apnea that occurs when the airway is not obstructed.  There can be any number of causes, from simply changing your position in bed, or holding your breath, to actual respiratory suppression caused by an imbalance in CO2 (see "respiratory drive and central apnea").

Generally we recommend minimizing pressure fluctuations, lowering pressure and reducing EPR when CA is present.  In your case we can give it another day or so before making changes, but you are using EPR at 2; try turning that to 1 or off before making other changes.

Great & thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 10:36 AM)STB123 Wrote: Man this is exactly what's happening to me in the first week, and what I've just started getting help with here.  Just for your reference, since it was confusing for me at first, Clear Airway = Central Apnea.  I think for me, my body is confused about this machine, and is stopping breathing, in my case, for around 10 seconds at a time.

Ten seconds is very short, the minimum in fact, for it to score as an apnea.

If the CA's have a much larger duration it's more of a concern. It's important to wait a few days to give the body time to adapt. Don't make any changes to the pressure until then.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 09:15 AM)CZOscar Wrote: AHI 23.07
Obstructive Index 3.21
Hypopnea Index
Clear Airway Index 19.86

What were your numbers like in your sleep study, before they hooked you up to a CPAP machine?
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 12:45 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 09:15 AM)CZOscar Wrote: AHI 23.07
Obstructive Index 3.21
Hypopnea Index
Clear Airway Index 19.86

What were your numbers like in your sleep study, before they hooked you up to a CPAP machine?

Total 403 minutes
116 apnea’s index 17.6/hour
104 hyponea w/ index 15.7/hour
220 Apnea & hyponea with 91 OBstructive, 18 Central, 7 mixed, and 104 hyponea for AHI33.3/hour
Lowest SaO2 was 83% ave 94% duration less than 88% was 2.4 min
Snoring severe
105 arousals (15.9/hour).  20 respiratory, 0 leg, 85 spontaneous
O PLMS

Is there a glossary or definition of all Sleep Apnea terms somewhere on the board?

Thank you.  

I think leaving pressure range as is 6-10 is fine and see what a week looks like.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 02:23 PM)CZOscar Wrote: 220 Apnea & hyponea with 91 OBstructive, 18 Central, 7 mixed, and 104 hyponea for AHI33.3/hour

Then you've already got a huge improvement!

Quote:Is there a glossary or definition of all Sleep Apnea terms somewhere on the board?

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions

Quote:I think leaving pressure range as is 6-10 is fine and see what a week looks like.

Definitely. Your CA index will likely drop in that time. If not, we'll have enough data by then to make recommendations about pressure changes.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 10:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's not unusual for CA to be present as you start CPAP therapy, but the wrong response is to raise pressure.  CA is an apnea that occurs when the airway is not obstructed.  There can be any number of causes, from simply changing your position in bed, or holding your breath, to actual respiratory suppression caused by an imbalance in CO2 (see "respiratory drive and central apnea").

Generally we recommend minimizing pressure fluctuations, lowering pressure and reducing EPR when CA is present.  In your case we can give it another day or so before making changes, but you are using EPR at 2; try turning that to 1 or off before making other changes.

Changed EPR from 3 to 1 to try tonight

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 05:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 02:23 PM)CZOscar Wrote: 220 Apnea & hyponea with 91 OBstructive, 18 Central, 7 mixed, and 104 hyponea for AHI33.3/hour

Then you've already got a huge improvement!

Agree BIG improvements and great start

Quote:Is there a glossary or definition of all Sleep Apnea terms somewhere on the board?

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions

THIS is what I've been looking for.  Did a search on forum/board but missed it.  Now on my desktop and printed in my sleep apnea journal started today.  Thank you!!!

Quote:I think leaving pressure range as is 6-10 is fine and see what a week looks like.

Will do with EPR changed from 3 to 1

Definitely. Your CA index will likely drop in that time. If not, we'll have enough data by then to make recommendations about pressure changes.

Great and thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 155 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 115 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 102 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,066 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,157 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 432 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 839 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.