Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night Tonight
First Night Tonight
Brand spanking new to the forum and CPAP therapy.  Little bit of background, I had a home study (required by insurance) about 40 days ago or so. Received a call from the sleep center saying home test revealed OSA and that I was to come in for a lab study with CPAP.  Had that done about 3 weeks ago.  I couldnt talk the sleep technician into spilling any of the beans about how it went other than they had to make some adjustments from the pressure of 5 they started with.  Despite the uncomfortable nature of being hooked up with more wires than a Griswold Christmas, I felt different when I woke up.  Placebo effect or actual results, I was unsure.  So I had my follow up with with the sleep doc today to get my results and get my machine.  My events per hour were 11.4 unless I was on my back, in which case it was 64   Unsure     They adjusted up to 8 which settled the events out but ended up going up to 9 which brought my O2 saturation up to 92% which they seamed pleased with. So tonight is going to be my first night.  I was given a Phillips Dreamstation, Model DSXHCP

Googling it, it seems to be an auto adjusting machine, but they indicated they had it set it at a hard 9 for me.

So, Hi all- glad to be here and addressing this issue and thankful for the resources here.

If anyone has any comments/tips I'd certainly be appreciative.  Anyone familiar with the machine I was given?  It appears that Phillips has their own app called DreamMapper for this unit.  I'm a bit of a data nerd so would I get better data results from Sleepyhead?  

Oh, I'm 35 and male if anyone cares.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night Tonight
Can you please post the model number from the bottom.  Make sure the humidifier is empty/removed first.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Look for a DSX200, 400 or 500. Reason being, the 200 won't give you useful efficacy data, while the other two will give very good feedback.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
DSX500T11C
Post Reply Post Reply
Bman, you done good! That is the auto CPAP. I would go ahead and use the CPAP pressure of 9, but you have the option to use a pressure range, and it will probably work better eventually. Download #Sleepyhead, so you can better understand what is happening during therapy. It is a free software but will help you to find any sources of sleep disruption and will give good feedback on the efficacy of CPAP therapy.

Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2017, 01:38 PM)BMan Wrote: Brand spanking new to the forum and CPAP therapy.  Little bit of background, I had a home study (required by insurance) about 40 days ago or so. Received a call from the sleep center saying home test revealed OSA and that I was to come in for a lab study with CPAP.  Had that done about 3 weeks ago.  I couldnt talk the sleep technician into spilling any of the beans about how it went other than they had to make some adjustments from the pressure of 5 they started with.  Despite the uncomfortable nature of being hooked up with more wires than a Griswold Christmas, I felt different when I woke up.  Placebo effect or actual results, I was unsure.  So I had my follow up with with the sleep doc today to get my results and get my machine.  My events per hour were 11.4 unless I was on my back, in which case it was 64   Unsure     They adjusted up to 8 which settled the events out but ended up going up to 9 which brought my O2 saturation up to 92% which they seamed pleased with. So tonight is going to be my first night.  I was given a Phillips Dreamstation, Model DSXHCP

Googling it, it seems to be an auto adjusting machine, but they indicated they had it set it at a hard 9 for me.

So, Hi all- glad to be here and addressing this issue and thankful for the resources here.

If anyone has any comments/tips I'd certainly be appreciative.  Anyone familiar with the machine I was given?  It appears that Phillips has their own app called DreamMapper for this unit.  I'm a bit of a data nerd so would I get better data results from Sleepyhead?  

i had an auto machine and they set it to fixed 
dont know why

you may have slept better during the lab test
they claimed i got a lot of REM sleep and should feel great
i was the most tired i ever have been as i only got 3 hours sleep for the night

the wires in the lab test tell a LOT more info that you cant get on a home test that has still  more than the cpap machine can provide

92% may be okay but usually they want a higher number like 95
I could live with that as long as my low does not go down to 80 like it did on the home test
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on a seemingly good journey with this all so far!

You got a good machine. It's the one I fought for and eventually got. :-) I like it!

DreamMapper will give you very basic info. Sleepyhead will give you more info than you even knew existed.

I, too, felt *different* upon waking from titrated sleep study. Sure enough, I've felt that way every single day since using my xPAP! I have a brain that works, I feel refreshed, and I am productive throughout my day! It's simply amazing!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2017, 04:20 PM)xxyzx Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 01:38 PM)BMan Wrote: Brand spanking new to the forum and CPAP therapy.  Little bit of background, I had a home study (required by insurance) about 40 days ago or so. Received a call from the sleep center saying home test revealed OSA and that I was to come in for a lab study with CPAP.  Had that done about 3 weeks ago.  I couldnt talk the sleep technician into spilling any of the beans about how it went other than they had to make some adjustments from the pressure of 5 they started with.  Despite the uncomfortable nature of being hooked up with more wires than a Griswold Christmas, I felt different when I woke up.  Placebo effect or actual results, I was unsure.  So I had my follow up with with the sleep doc today to get my results and get my machine.  My events per hour were 11.4 unless I was on my back, in which case it was 64   Unsure     They adjusted up to 8 which settled the events out but ended up going up to 9 which brought my O2 saturation up to 92% which they seamed pleased with. So tonight is going to be my first night.  I was given a Phillips Dreamstation, Model DSXHCP

i had an auto machine and they set it to fixed 
dont know why

you may have slept better during the lab test
they claimed i got a lot of REM sleep and should feel great
i was the most tired i ever have been as i only got 3 hours sleep for the night

the wires in the lab test tell a LOT more info that you cant get on a home test that has still  more than the cpap machine can provide

92% may be okay but usually they want a higher number like 95
I could live with that as long as my low does not go down to 80 like it did on the home test

Home test I got down to 83. 83 to 92 has to make a huge difference in not only how you feel, but longevity I would think. I will aim for perfect and keep working at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BMan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that you got an AutoCPAP machine right off the bat.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I will get Sleepyhead installed sometime this weekend, but my first night was 7:23 hours of on time and 2 AHI according to DreamMapper

I currently have a cold with some pretty consistent post nasal drip going on so I had quite a bit of coughing to deal with last night.  Coughing while hose headed up was certainly a different experience.  I'm looking forward to shaking this cold and seeing how I do but I'd say my first night wasn't much of a problem for me and overall mostly successful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,212 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad [CPAP] Need help tonight Chavonda67 1 431 11-01-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Came home to a surprise tonight! speed3914 7 1,237 09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: factor
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 822 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Pressure] Titration study last night - Recommended settings for tonight? trialNerror 5 788 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.