Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: First Night Without My C-pap Ever!
I suspect your odds of having a medical emergency like stroke, heart attack, etc. shoot up quite a bit on any night you don't use your CPAP.

However, the odds of you having the medical emergency any one night are pretty low.

Some people are probably a lot more at risk. If you're "on the edge" of having a heart attack or stroke already, and you've got really bad apnea, the odds are worse. I think of it as being like a person with heart trouble doing some really heavy exertion.

If you didn't suffer any obvious effects, the long term harm done was probably small. However, you may well do a little harm every night you go without.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-18-2013 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Schnauzers 5 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics Rem Star A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: LT swift for her
Humidifier: Respironics, I guess
CPAP Pressure: 9-14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
RE: First Night Without My C-pap Ever!
(03-18-2013 07:26 AM)archangle Wrote:  I suspect your odds of having a medical emergency like stroke, heart attack, etc. shoot up quite a bit on any night you don't use your CPAP.

However, the odds of you having the medical emergency any one night are pretty low.

Some people are probably a lot more at risk. If you're "on the edge" of having a heart attack or stroke already, and you've got really bad apnea, the odds are worse. I think of it as being like a person with heart trouble doing some really heavy exertion.

If you didn't suffer any obvious effects, the long term harm done was probably small. However, you may well do a little harm every night you go without.

I have lost about 20 + pounds and weigh about the same as when I first got my c-pap. I have no heart problems that I know of and not so much belly fat. I think it was minimal if any damage. I did loose a client a yr ago Feb 24th and she was in a chair in the family room mid day and fell asleep and never woke up. Age just 40. She had used her c-pap that previous night and used regularly. She was quite obese and had other health issues. I recently checked on FB for her anniversary of death and discovered her husband remarried 12/12/12, less than 10 mos later. Heck, for a relationship to advance to marriage takes a few. I thought that odd, and Carol would probably be hurt if she knew. He was in Florida when she died and new wife is also from Florida. Just saying, hummmmmmm
03-18-2013 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  1st night with DreamWear mask - Best night ever pwgphoto 34 5,326 08-30-2016 08:36 PM
Last Post: HoustonMIke
  [Treatment] Seeing significantly different AHI numbers night to night galenaforest 4 820 02-25-2016 02:27 AM
Last Post: Dagmar1
  One night = 0 leaks, next night 30 L.....??? GrammaBear 3 736 01-28-2016 01:39 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  First night behind me - 2nd night update - mostly Centrals? worn_out_in_lebanon 19 4,459 03-21-2015 11:11 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  0.0 Events Last Night - Night #7 Sparkle 4 1,792 01-20-2015 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sparkle
  Interesting night- Adjusted pressure part way through night dozydave 2 1,147 01-19-2015 02:46 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Confusing night last night retired_guy 11 3,249 01-16-2015 06:43 PM
Last Post: Eurika