Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night Without My C-pap Ever!
First Night Without My C-pap Ever!
Friday night I went to bed and was praying and forgot to put my c-pap on and fell asleep without it! I slept 6hrs and 6 minutes according to the clock. I had a headache when I woke, as you can imagine. It has been six or seven years now that I never ever went to sleep without it except for a few hrs in the sleep lab under supervision. I hope I did not hurt my body too badly, or loose too many brain cells......I need all I can save! I was not too drained and did go to work and groomed three easy dogs. By 2PM I HAD to take a long nap til after dark. Then last night due a long nap I could not get to sleep .Do you think it did much damage? I can't undue it, but I guess God was watching over me anyway. I don't know why I didn't wake after an hour and discover it then. YIKES. I have clients who don't use theirs regularly for silly reasons like not having distilled water. No wonder they have headaches and feel awful and are tired. I know I have not been around here lately, I have been busy, busy. Hope y'all are doing well. BTW the only popcorn that isn't GMO is that little icon guy with his.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night Without My C-pap Ever!
(03-17-2013, 12:19 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: Do you think it did much damage?

No. Doctors will tell you that a night without your CPAP machine isn't going to hurt you. If CPAP machines were that crucial they'd make sure you got one as soon as they find out you have sleep apnea.

It's the cumulative effects that cause harm. I always use mine and always will because of that, but if for some reason I miss a night I'm not gonna freak out.

Quote:I know I have not been around here lately, I have been busy, busy. Hope y'all are doing well. BTW the only popcorn that isn't GMO is that little icon guy with his.

Welcome back. Is Halle a Yorkie?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first got my CPAP I asked if I could skip using it occasionally and was told while it probably wouldn't do more then make you feel tired and possibly have a head ache. It wasn't recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 12:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 12:19 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: Do you think it did much damage?

No. Doctors will tell you that a night without your CPAP machine isn't going to hurt you. If CPAP machines were that crucial they'd make sure you got one as soon as they find out you have sleep apnea.

It's the cumulative effects that cause harm. I always use mine and always will because of that, but if for some reason I miss a night I'm not gonna freak out.

Quote:I know I have not been around here lately, I have been busy, busy. Hope y'all are doing well. BTW the only popcorn that isn't GMO is that little icon guy with his.

Welcome back. Is Halle a Yorkie?

No, Halle is the avatar pic and she is a pure bred Grand champion is her Dad, Miniature Schnauzer. Her brother is a champion. Yorkies are reddish brown and black usually. Halle the schnauzer is a dark salt & pepper. Nearly black & silver as her Dad is a registered black&silver.

Glad one night without my c-pap is ok. I do know a stroke could have occurred as it does cause alarm when I stop breathing, and ups the adrenelin. B/P etc. I am still here and my mind seems the same. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 01:06 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: No, Halle is the avatar pic

That's not the same dog you had in your avatar earlier this morning! Is it?

Huh

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 01:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 01:06 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: No, Halle is the avatar pic

That's not the same dog you had in your avatar earlier this morning! Is it?

Huh

Very observant. No, I just changed it to Dickens, her brother so you can see how he looks like a Miniature Schnauzer, which he is as a Champion. He lives 7 miles away with his breeder because he was choice of litter. When he was about 7 weeks old he went to her home and was conditioned to show and be a champion. I could never afford to show him, so I am glad he lives with Marilyn the breeder, and I go visit him. There were 4 in all, I don't see Oscar anymore,sold,and I have two. Little Boy Blue, aka "Blue" and Halle named after a former Halle I had. When #1 Halle died of hemolytic anemia at age 5, three days later I got Sonora and later bred her....hense, all these Schnauzers. More info than you wanted, huh? I thought several pics were in Off topic of my doggie family.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 12:49 PM)Weebee Wrote: When I first got my CPAP I asked if I could skip using it occasionally and was told while it probably wouldn't do more then make you feel tired and possibly have a head ache. It wasn't recommended.
Not just not recommended also might lead down to slippery slope

btw ... S8 Escape does not show any efficacy data such as AHI, leak, etc... other than usage
How you feel is important but without data to back it up would not know if therapy is optimized
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
After using the CPAP for over 5 years now it is second nature to put it on. I may doze off watching TV. But I'll wake up after a few minutes and put the mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2013, 12:19 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: Friday night I went to bed and was praying and forgot to put my c-pap on and fell asleep without it! I slept 6hrs and 6 minutes according to the clock. I had a headache when I woke, as you can imagine. It has been six or seven years now that I never ever went to sleep without it except for a few hrs in the sleep lab under supervision.

Got some bad news for you.
Your prayers didn't seem to work. Otherwise your god might have taken better care of the situation.

Quote: I hope I did not hurt my body too badly, or loose too many brain cells......I need all I can save!

You're not the only one who needs all the brains he can get.
One night is probably not too severe, particularly if you didn't wake up being unable to breathe. I would be lying if I said don't worry about it. But rather, if you feel you could be getting prone to remembering to wear what my wife calls the "snore mask" then you'll be best to devise a way to help you remember, eg. put the mask on your pillow so that you'll feel it if you forget to put it on.

Quote: I was not too drained and did go to work and groomed three easy dogs. By 2PM I HAD to take a long nap til after dark.

I trust you use your CPAP during naps. It's been a bad habit for me to be sure, but that counts too.

Quote:Then last night due a long nap I could not get to sleep .Do you think it did much damage? I can't undue it, but I guess God was watching over me anyway.

Regardless of what I said earlier, I am an agnostic and hence quite skeptical of peoples' claims to be able to contact deity. HOWEVER, if you consider that prayer works in your favour then maybe it was to your benefit here as well. Remember that according to some "experts" we have brain cells that die off all the time anyhow.
I'm not an expert so ponder my words if you wish but don't take them as advice. But from my observations you are not going to destroy your future by forgetting CPAP therapy one night. Try to relax.
I'm sure many people here have had times when they forgot, were too tired to bother or even those who were bull headed like myself and figure that they can overcome sleep apnea with sheer will power. Trust me. That does NOT work. But it was based on others claiming I wasn't "trying hard enough" to conquer sleep apnea, to conquer depression, others tried to drill it into my noggin that I needed will power and more optimism. Uh, no. They can't relate, and I was a fool to listen.

But my point is, one night probably did not to serious damage. From what I've heard and read, it's the accumulation of apnea filled nights and not taking action about your health which will be the real danger.
It sounds like you have your health in mind and will do just fine.
Best wishes. (and of course, listen to what others say as well since others have real information over and above mere experiences.)

-Sean

Quote: BTW the only popcorn that isn't GMO is that little icon guy with his.

Eat-popcorn OIC. I've also learned we have to pick our own battles. We could be paranoid at everything that could kill us and we'd end up with no life, which is also dangerous. From the sounds of it you're doing the best you can. Keep it up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ugly, First, people who claim to be ugly usually are not at all. I bet you are not ugly. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder anyway. I am now Schnauzers 5 as I have not been on in months and automatically logged out. Big mistake. It was so hard to try to email for a new password I just gave up. I think for 2013 to have a slightly shorter username is better anyway. So I think fitting to be known now as Schnauzers 5. I was not really very worried. I did have the mask right by my bed. I do think God watched over me. Maybe it was to make me more aware to be sure I am wearing it from now on. Yes, I do wear it when taking a nap unless I doze in front of tv for a few minutes. I also think one does not die before your appointed hour. It was not my time and I also did not have a stroke etc. I just know a bad nights' sleep or no sleep is dangerous for driving the next day. I imagine I got little if any restorative rest. My biggest concern really. I coulod not stay in bed all day and sleep, I had jobs to do. I did ok. S5
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.