Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night on CPAP - Couldn't sleep.
First Night on CPAP - Couldn't sleep.
Last night was my first night on CPAP and I feel like I didn't sleep at all. Mask fits well and comfortable, humidity set at 78, EPR at 3, ramp 20 min from 7 to 15. Went to bed at my normal time and I always fall asleep quickly, but I just couldn't do it last night, Of course I am worn out this morning. Any tips for getting to sleep with the mask on?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night on CPAP - Couldn't sleep.
I'm new to the board; but not new to CPAP. Most folks have a period of adjustment in getting to accustomed to CPAP.
Stick with it.

You have perhaps the most comfortable mask available -- I use it; and would not trade for any other mask.

I strap in and get to bed at the same time if possible. I have found that using a set of over the ear headphones and listening to music helps me initiate sleep. Of late, I have been falling to sleep listening to German language lessons on CD. No offense to anyone from Germany; but, I actually fall asleep faster listening to the language CDs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rhoodphoto,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take a bit of getting used to so just stick with it, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Rhoodphoto and welcome to the board Smile

As others have said, there will be a bit of an adjustment period...a) you're not used to something on your face at night b) there are now new and different sounds to get used to (like the mask venting and gentle sounds of the CPAP itself) and c)the positive pressure would be a new experience for your body.

Some suggestions that might help:

1) keep your routine as steady as you can in order to minimize the number of changes to your sleep pattern as possible. CPAP is an adjustment and you don't need to throw more adjustments at your body at the same time.

2) I know the Quattro isn't the greatest for it, but if you can, try wearing the CPAP (yes, pressure on) while watching TV or reading a book during the day or evening...many people find it helps the body get used to having positive pressure in the airway (if you're not panicking about it during the day, it must be okay at night, right? Smile )

3) Maybe some warm milk before bed...or a German language CD Wink...to help encourage sleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will have to try this German language CD since it has been mentioned twice. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2013, 01:23 PM)rhoodphoto Wrote: I will have to try this German language CD since it has been mentioned twice. lol

And soon you'll be sleeping better; and be able to say:
"Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch"

MongoGrin
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Rhood- I am also newly diagnosed and new to using cpap. I've been reading here since my diagnosis. This board is extremely helpful. Other than the initial claustrophobic anxiety, I took right to cpap therapy. I am only three weeks into cpap therapy and I feel it has been a life changer.

Check out all the good advise from the contributors on this board and I am sure it will all be worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just six weeks ahead of you. I am still working through a few issues. I do feel much better even though I don't sleep through the night.
I started out the same as you. I would land up only using the mask for about an hour, then in a week it became two hours, then four and now I am at 5.5 hours a night.
It looks like we have the same equipment an mask. I have only been on this mask for just over a week. The first couple of days I would have blowouts, noisy leaks that would wake me up around the two hour mark. Since then I have tightened up the straps and I make it my full time.
For the last two weeks, I have been listening to Pandora on my Android player. I set the sleep timer for 30 minutes. This usually lets my mind drift enough to fall asleep before the ramp gets to peak level.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2013, 06:22 AM)rhoodphoto Wrote: Last night was my first night on CPAP and I feel like I didn't sleep at all.

Just to be clear - did you sleep or not - or did you not feel refreshed in the morning - two different problems. You post is a little unclear

Same solution really though - stick with it. The angle of attack may be different though. What were your stats from the night - better to wait a week to see a trend really but after the first night I understand the need to feel it is worth rigging up with the hose. i.e. what was the AHI for starters, and your leak rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Relief...............I slept like a baby last night. My diagnosed AHI was 27 and last night I recorded a 2.60 and my med leak rate was 2.40. I feel much more rested this morning than I have in a long time. I hope this positive performance continues. Thanks everyone for your positive support and ideas. I started using the Sleepyhead software and I love the immediate feedback, it really helps to encourage me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.