Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night on CPAP - Couldn't sleep.
RE: First Night on CPAP - Couldn't sleep.
Hi rhoodphoto,
I'm glad you finally had a good night last night, just keep on going now through the ups and downs and it will keep geting better.
It's good that you downloaded "Sleepyhead" and are having such great results with it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
As everyone has been saying, stick with it. There is an adjustment period that lasts anywhere from hours (for those I call "freaks of nature" :-) to months.

Thinking back, I recall having trouble getting to sleep because I couldn't get past explicitly thinking about (and hearing) my breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. ...

Keep in mind, this is something new and strange, and it will take some time to get sufficiently comfortable with it to be able to relax and fall asleep. And yes, I also had two nights in my first few weeks where I got no (zero, none, nada) sleep at all.

I found that, having owned the realization that it was either the CPAP or slitting my wrists (and I'm only mildly exaggerating), my thinking went along lines of "how can I make this work" rather than ever entertaining "maybe I'll give it a pass tonight".
Post Reply Post Reply
6 nights now on cpap and I can say that I didn't think I would get this far this fast. I have become friends with my mask and actually look forward to getting hooked up and going to bed. Last night was my first night with an AHI under 2. - it was 1.5. I am truly amazed. I do feel more rested in the mornings now but I thought I would feel better than I do; I guess it just takes some time after losing all of that deep sleep over the years. My wife is very pleased that I now sleep quietly and for the most part motionless. Thanks to everyone for their support through my first tough nights. It feels so good to breathe and sleep again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rhoodphoto,
Yes it does take time for your body to get used to this "new" way of sleeping, but it sounds like you're off to a GREAT start, just keep going.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

This is my first week........

It´s hard to get used to the mask. when I move in bed, it touches the pillow and leaks, the hose looks that is no longer enough.

Hope get used soon !
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Mr. Sandman, Welcome!

How long is your hose? Do you have your CPAP machine close to where you are sleeping? I have the back of my CPAP machine close to my head. This makes the hose "longer" and that helps. I also "hang" my hose above my head so when I move around during sleep the hose does not pull my mask away.

Hang in there for more suggestions and keep trying!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mr. Sandman
If you,re using the standard 6ft hose 22mm diameter (non-heated hose), you can get either 8ft or 10ft hoses which are longer version of the standard hose and gives you more freedom to move around in bed. The extra length does not significantly decrease CPAP pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2013, 11:27 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Hi, Mr. Sandman, Welcome!

How long is your hose? Do you have your CPAP machine close to where you are sleeping? I have the back of my CPAP machine close to my head. This makes the hose "longer" and that helps. I also "hang" my hose above my head so when I move around during sleep the hose does not pull my mask away.

Hang in there for more suggestions and keep trying!

(12-11-2013, 11:49 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi Mr. Sandman
If you,re using the standard 6ft hose 22mm diameter (non-heated hose), you can get either 8ft or 10ft hoses which are longer version of the standard hose and gives you more freedom to move around in bed. The extra length does not significantly decrease CPAP pressure

I´m using the 6ft hose and my CPAP is close to my head, but I change the position a lot during the night. Maybe it´s time to buy a longer hose and I like the ideia to hang it......
This night I had a lot of problems with leaking...and the mask was unconfortable........ I don´t know when, but I woke up with no mask.

Today I´m miserable because of the bad night.

Thanks for helping !
Post Reply Post Reply
what nasal mask are you using? can you ask for another nasal mask or nasal pillows? are you using a chin strap?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mr. Sandman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up. CPAP can take some getting used to, just stick with it, it does get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 3 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Ostrich
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 186 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,142 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.