Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night using Simplus Mask
First Night using Simplus Mask
Hi, can someone explain to me what's happening between 1:30 am and 4:15am? Are those leaks?
I just switched to the Simplus FFM because I was having leaks with the nasal mask and below is the data from the first night.
[Image: 17cnOCL.png]
[Image: eFjAqL9.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night using Simplus Mask
You are leaking during that time period. But, not so badly as to compromise therapy.
PR machines report total leak; both intentional and unintentional (the upper leak line.)
The lower leak line is within bounds.

Personally, leaks bother me; so I try for zero unintentional leak.

BTW -- intentional leak is the vent rate of the mask.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2016, 10:53 AM)justMongo Wrote: You are leaking during that time period. But, not so badly as to compromise therapy.
PR machines report total leak; both intentional and unintentional (the upper leak line.)
The lower leak line is within bounds.

Personally, leaks bother me; so I try for zero unintentional leak.

BTW -- intentional leak is the vent rate of the mask.

Thanks justMongo. Where can I find the intentional leak rate for this mask? From what you wrote, it sounds like there is a threshold and I have not exceeded it terribly. I have an Amara view and Quatro FX also, just in case.

Also, the number of clear airway events I have is >50% of the AHI should I mention this to the doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
The intentional leak rate is known as the vent rate; and it varies with pressure.
More pressure, more vent.

Some manufacturers publish a graph on their website.

And, your AHI is good, so a few CAs should not be a concern; you should always mention any concern to your doctor -- I'm thinking the doc will be OK with your therapy.

I found this in a PDF document on ResMed's website for the Quattro FX
[Image: QFXVR.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your mask has to have a certain amount of leak or the CO2 you breath out would build up and cause problems. It would be sort of like strapping a plastic bag to your face. Not a good idea. Too much leaking is definitely bad, but none at all will kill you.

I imagine each mask's intentional leak will be around 24L/min simply because research will have shown that that's the amount necessary and I expect all mask manufacturers will follow that standard.

But I might be wrong.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
eseedhouse and justMongo. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
PR machine reports total leak.
The upper line. Threshold is about 70. Machine will flag large leak.

Your leaks are well under that and not bad for a SImplus at all. Simplus has a large vent rate anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2016, 08:15 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: PR machine reports total leak.
The upper line. Threshold is about 70. Machine will flag large leak.

Your leaks are well under that and not bad for a SImplus at all. Simplus has a large vent rate anyway.

Thanks that's good to know. I tried the AmaraView last night. And I had an increase in events and AHI, even though it seemed to be a better fit as evidenced by the leak rate which was better held constant.

[Image: Ks8dXZh.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
For the Simplus, and if you are a side sleeper, there is a good chance that you are mashing your face into the pillow and lifting up part of the mask seal. You can try sleeping with your ear on the edge of your pillow and handing the mask over the edge. If you are an active sleeper that won't have much effect.

For the AHI difference between masks, I get that too but can't explain it. Using the Eson nasal or Simplus FFM, I get different leak rates but similar AHI. If I try and use the P10 pillows, my AHI goes through the roof. I am still trying to figure that one out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, yes, the graph is showing smallish leaks at some times. You might want to go into SleepyHead and turn on the display of CPAP events on the Leak Rate graph to see how the leaks match up with apnea events. (Hold your cursor over the Y-Axis values on the leaks graph and right-click and you'll see a menu come up.)

I'm never sure how correct the leak values are when they show up at the same time as an apnea event. Maybe someone else will have an answer for that.

Did you notice any leaks while you were sleeping or wake up with a dry mouth?

P.S. You probably already know, but those spikes in your pressure graph are the Respironics "Search" routine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 228 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 306 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 673 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 569 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 616 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 841 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 541 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.