Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night with CPAP.. some questions
RE: First Night with CPAP.. some questions
(03-27-2021, 11:08 AM)staceyburke Wrote: The ResMed has EPR(exhale relief pressure) which makes breathing out a little easier. You did not put in what pressures you are using. But for example —

Min 8
Max 20
Epr 3

Would make the pressure on inhale is 8 cm on exhale 5cm. You subtract the EPR from the min.  The EPR can be set 1, 2 or 3. And makes exhale easier. 

But there can be problems with it - increase in centrals. That is why you need to download and use OSCAR. Without OSCARyou have no idea what is really happening.

If it auto sets the preasure and adjusts throughout the night how can I set any preasure? Ill download OSCAR and see if i can even Xfer the data from last night
Post Reply Post Reply
Many on here tend to feel that the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is the gold standard. I'm very happy with mine.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, if you've got that chance to get the ResMed AutoSet, please do it. A rather extreme car analogy but pretty valid: 2 cars are on the lot, one costs more to put on the sales lot than the other. The ResMed Corvette costs more to the sales lot. But to your insurance, they cost the same.

Along comes tierdal wanting something Auto. Here's 2 supposedly comparable models, the Respironics Pinto or ResMed Corvette. They're basically the same, only if you're just looking of a "car". BUT they are definitely not the same thing. One has more features, more power, is more effective at being a car. It's even more comfortable. The other is just a car.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks in advance to everyone. My GF said I didnt snore at all last night and this thing seems to say 1.9 AHI and I do feel a tad better today. This whole thing has been stressful. Below is the screen of OSCAR. Let me know if youneed a different view or if there is a better way to share/export/

Do I need to do soemthign with this SD card to make sure it doesnt fill up? How often is it deleted?

(idiot site wont let me post image =/ )
Link: https://i.imgur.com/C5zRyIu.png

[Image: C5zRyIu.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
You were asking about an auto machine and settings. Even though these are Auto adjusting, you still need to access the clinician's menu to set parameters. Even more important with this Respironics, as it responds very slow to events, it needs high idle speed AKA higher minimum pressure or it misses events.

You were given this Respironics "set" at wide open default pressures of 4-20. You're likely to need editing that minimum pressure to give you more air if that's an issue, and it needs to be higher to deal with Hypopnoea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did my oscar print out help? Anything anyone can tell me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2021, 11:16 AM)tierdal Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 11:08 AM)staceyburke Wrote: The ResMed has EPR(exhale relief pressure) which makes breathing out a little easier. You did not put in what pressures you are using. But for example —

Min 8
Max 20
Epr 3

Would make the pressure on inhale is 8 cm on exhale 5cm. You subtract the EPR from the min.  The EPR can be set 1, 2 or 3. And makes exhale easier. 

But there can be problems with it - increase in centrals. That is why you need to download and use OSCAR. Without OSCARyou have no idea what is really happening.

If it auto sets the preasure and adjusts throughout the night how can I set any preasure? Ill download OSCAR and see if i can even Xfer the data from last night

The first thing I would suggest is to look up your machine Phillips dreamstation autocpap clinician menu on YOUTUBE.  It will have many videos of different machines and how to make changes.  You also need to download the users guide at the top of the site they are free.  It will give you a more detailed explanation of how your machine works.

2nd - You need to use the F12 button on the computer for a screenshot.  It formats it correctly and makes it easier to see what is going on.  Also remove the calendar from the shot, it is taking up room and we can not see the information in the bottom of the left column. (which is important) You can do this by clicking on the triangle in the date line.

3rd your settings of Min 4 and max 20 is not optimized at all.  4 is the lowest the pap machine can be set at and 20 is the max pressure it can deliver.  When you have an event (obstruction) the machine has to ramp up from 4 to the pressure needed to clear the obstruction.  It takes to long and you are over the event before the pressure is helping.  by raising the min number you are getting a head start on clearing the obstruction and that leads to a much more peaceful night sleep.

The min for most adults is around 8.  If it is much lower you feel air starved, some need more than that.  I personally need around 10 or I am pulling off my mask at night to get enough air.

This is an ongoing process and you can not expect just to put on the cpap and everything is taken care of.  That is why you are on this site asking for help.  It will take some time to see what is working for you and what is not.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I mean I was at 1.5 Ahi at the current setting so it seems to be working? What pressure should I change too? It's already really annoying to breath out I can't imagine making it even harder to do so.

I'll try to furmat the screen better when I get home. If there nothing you can see currently?

not that I don't appreciate the community help but Why isn't my doctor or anyone doing this stuff for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctors that typically work with sleep disorders such as Apnea, don't really want to put effort into supporting the patient. In most cases anyway. That's why Apnea Board exists. We're here to help a bit, passing on what we've learned advocating for ourselves, because the doctor isn't advocating. You have to self advocate. It's not supposed to be this way, as most other medical conditions we don't have to do the work ourself. But this is the bizarre world of Apnea, and it's not going to change anytime soon if ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sense.

Any insights from the screen I posted and/or help with the pressure making breathing out hard?

What about pressure changes if I'm 4-20?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,136 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 401 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.