Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night with CPAP.. some questions
RE: First Night with CPAP.. some questions
holy hell - i turned it up to 8 and its like night and fucking day

how there isnt a doctor/professional helping me with this is UINBELIEVABLE

how many of us are out their suffering that aren't as inquisitive or tech savvy??!? This is a bloody travesty.

My FLEX thing was already on 2 so not sure what to do there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you raised the pressure.  Leave the Flex at 2 for now.  

Why don't doctors know how to help?  I don't know... All they really look at is the total AHI number.  
If it's under 5, they are ok with it.    Doctor-no-get-it

Hope you have a more comfortable sleep.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2021, 10:39 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Glad you raised the pressure.  Leave the Flex at 2 for now.  

Why don't doctors know how to help?  I don't know... All they really look at is the total AHI number.  
If it's under 5, they are ok with it.    Doctor-no-get-it

Hope you have a more comfortable sleep.

hope so as well, will def get a resmed monday

still dont get why a higher preasure makes it easier to breath out but it sure is nice lol
Post Reply Post Reply
My explanation of this bizarre Apnea land...

Old MacDonald had an Apnea farm
Ee i ee i o
And on his farm he had some Ducks
Ee i ee i o
With a quack quack here
And a quack quack there
Here a quack, there a quack
Everywhere a quack quack
Old MacDonald had an Apnea farm
Ee i ee i o

And be sure I'm not going to actually sing it. It will interfere with my coffee break.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP history.In the beginning there was no CPAP because there was no Sleep Apnea. At least it wasn't recognized, by anyone.

The Dr. Sullivan came along.  He knew that sleep apnea existed and there was no treatment for it.  I mean how could you keep the airway from collapsing?  He was toying with a radical Idea of using air pressure to splint the airway open. His solution, modify a vacuum machine to blow rather than suck.  He removed the motor and blower, added a few controls to manage the pressure and voilà, he had the world's first kluged together CPAP machine.  Patient one had severe apnea.  He was selected because he was severe.  Once he started he found it made a huge difference, and he wouldn't let them take him off the machine, and he eventually took it home.

The basic CPAP machine, even today,  delivers a single constant pressure which splints open the airway. No flex, no EPR, no easy breathe, nothing to make it easier for the patient to breathe, and certainly no auto mode to self adjust.  Just a single fixed pressure.  Every CPAP manufactured today can perform this simple basic function, ResMed and Phillips Respironics  are completely equal at this level.

Now let's advance to a BiLevel machine.  
A basic BiLevel (S or Spontaneous mode), delivers 2 fixed pressures, one for inhale and a lower one for exhale. The Exhale pressure or EPAP performs the same function as Pressure on a CPAP.,. The inhale pressure or IPAP is used to treat hypopneas, flow limits, RERAs, UARS, and even snores. Basic CPAPs use a higher pressure to manage these.  On BiLevels the difference  between  EPAP and IPAP is called Pressure Support (PS). Inhale pressing always higher than exhale pressure  And the difference is called PS.  That is all PS is. At this level all BiLevels are the same.  ResMed, Phillips Respironics, and others are the same.

The manufacture's realized that BiLevel therapy was more comfortable than straight CPAP pressure. Going to BiLevel is a path for 'non-compliant CPAP users. So they added a 'Comfort' feature to lower the applied pressure on exhale.  How they did this makes a big huge difference. Logically and in the literature Flex, (Respironics) and EPR  (ResMed) should provide very similar response, but they don't.  IMHO ResMed wins this battle.  ResMed's EPR, when pressures are adjusted as they would be on a BiLevel, even on CPAP, behaves identically to PS within its limits of being only 1,2,3 cmw.  As such ResMed CPAP using EPR matches BiLevel treatment of Hypopnea, RERAs, Flow Limits, and UARS.  Flex does not.  Flex lowers pressure on exhale proportional to how hard you breathe typically 1-2 cmw.  It does this with minimal if any impact on Hypopnea, flow limits, RERAs, UARS, snores. Again, winner ResMed.

Auto algorithms.  Winner ResMed, here's why.
Phillips targets snores, after a few it slowly increases pressure.  To decrease obstructive events a PR machine requires a higher min pressure to get ahead of events.  A ResMed responds to Flow Limits, the lowest of obstructive events and does so by aggressively raising the pressure and thus eliminating obstructive events.

Flow Limits are an indicator of airway resistance.  Everyone has some.  They are one of the things we look at in zoomed view of the flow rate chart.  They represent a restriction in the airway.  And they are the fundamental part of UARS, Upper Airway RESISTANCE Syndrome.  RERAs which are a series of flow limits ending with arousal.

I hope this helps you understand some.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Should I get a bipap? Feels like it's just better overall for comfort? Why isn't everything a bipap at this point of it's strictly better
Post Reply Post Reply
Bipap are needed if a person needs more pressure than a Cpap can offer. Cpap 20 max bipap 25 max. They also have a a larger range of settings - Cpap raises up 1 cm at a time the bipap by .2. It has several other settings you can change. With all of the options it is sometimes harder to dial in. The cost is about double a Cpap.

ResMed Cpap does work as a bipap up to 3cm of pressure which is enough for most users.

Again if you needed higher pressures it is the machine you need. But you are at 8 min with 3EPR that takes the exhale down to 5. IF YOU HAD a min of 18 you would want a bipap.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Costs are the main reason.

BiLevel is more important to a suffers of UARS where they NEED the additional control to manage their flow limits. USAR is rarely diagnosed as many in the medical community deny that it even exists.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2021, 11:11 AM)OpalRose Wrote: tierdal,
Write this down and hand it to the DME.  

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet

And to answer your question above... No, it shouldn't be hard to breathe out.  We will help you get your pressures set to what is optimal for you.  Using the EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief) setting will help greatly when exhaling.

And don't forget to get an SD card.

Just to triple check when I call into them tomrorow. this the right model? No way for them to send me some welfare cheapo model?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed. Search ApriaDirect for Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP machine with humidifier

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes! You linked to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP. You want the Resmed Airsense 10 AUTOSET which has all the features and data. The word Autoset is crucial here. If it only says CPAP then that is a fixed pressure machine with no data. Autoset is the key word.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,138 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 401 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.