Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night
RE: First Night
Leave. It. Alone.

Don't mess with the numbers. You just got the dang thing. Your body is still going "what the....". Use it for 2 weeks minimum before you start mucking about. The vast majority of medications do not start working immediately. Same with the CPAP.

Your body and brain and habits and sleep and all that stuff are all changed. You have a lot to get used to.

One night of data is not a trend. Two weeks of data is. In two weeks, look at all the data and see what your high is and where you stay the most. THEN set the machine. Feel free to look at the data each night. It's cool to see. But don't make any conclusions from it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 10:09 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Leave. It. Alone.

Don't mess with the numbers. You just got the dang thing. Your body is still going "what the....". Use it for 2 weeks minimum before you start mucking about. The vast majority of medications do not start working immediately. Same with the CPAP.

Your body and brain and habits and sleep and all that stuff are all changed. You have a lot to get used to.

One night of data is not a trend. Two weeks of data is. In two weeks, look at all the data and see what your high is and where you stay the most. THEN set the machine. Feel free to look at the data each night. It's cool to see. But don't make any conclusions from it.

I agree with Paula - patience is good. One night's data isn't a trend, its an anomaly. While I personally think that the numbers need tweaking, there's no huge rush to get there. The first month, two months, etc, you're tweaking to get the ideal setup, both for the pressure settings and the hardware. Not to mention, just plain getting used to it all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 09:58 AM)Abearir Wrote: I'll go out on a limb and say I'll tweak a setting or two and be close to that number for tomorrow.

I agree completely with both Paula02 and CHanlon. Don't make hurried adjustments - and anything less than 2 weeks data for a new cpap user would be hurried, IMO. Among other things, make sure you take note of whether the data seems to indicate an increase in clear airway apneas, or however your software reports these issues. Increasing pressure can lead to an increase in this type of apnea, and have critical results.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Duly noted and understood. Hopefully night 2 won't be another waterboarding exercise until it gets up to pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 02:42 PM)Abearir Wrote: Duly noted and understood. Hopefully night 2 won't be another waterboarding exercise until it gets up to pressure.

It could be, but even if it is, that's a good thing. Its all part of the process, and we've all been there... fore 99% of the people here, CPAP wasn't an instant fix, no matter how much we wanted it to be. Not to mention the fact that you're still in a sleep deficit situation - you've been sleep deprived so long that you're going to feel tired even after a good nights sleep. Once you've banked a few good nights, even if they're not *perfect* nights, you'll start to feel better, one way or another. At *that* point, and with the data of several days as a starting point, then you can start fine tuning and tweaking out the numbers. Get used to the mask, the noise of the machine, the feeling of the air pressure, etc. and let your body become more accustomed to actually having O2 in your bloodstream, and do anything you need to to manage and minimize leaks, then look for ways to improve your numbers once you've reached a comfort level with all this stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have ramp turned on? If so, turn it off. That might help.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 05:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Do you have ramp turned on? If so, turn it off. That might help.

Yeah, that's true too, I turned it off on mine in the first few days. I found that while it made it easier to ignore the pressure, by the time it ramped up to the "low" pressure in my range *that's* then it started to leak...and woke me up again anyhow. Found it much easier to just start it up, fix leaks, and then go to sleep. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Turned the ramp off last night. Found it to be better but the "low" end of the settings I think are still too low (6cm). Might try the machine in straight cpap tonight and see how that works. I don't have issues with the pressure or leaks. Pretty much plug and play for me. Mask goes on, hit run, fall asleep. No big deal.

Last nights AHI score 18.4

First nights score was 8.1 and the software showed no central, 1.8 Hypopnea, 6.3 OSA...all at max pressure. My 95th was 15cm.

We'll see what the software says for last night when I get a chance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, so, *probably* you'd be better off with something like 8 to 16, or something like that. Don't change it. Keep watching, see what you get for another couple nights, then talk to your RT and give him the numbers you're getting... for that matter, print 'em out and take the reports in, or bring him your sd card. He'll touch base with your dr, and make the changes (or at least confirm them for you.)
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the leak shown on the S9 screen and how many hours you sleep with the mask
I don,t use SH but on the Rescan you would see when events occurred, the duration of each apnea, if spaced out during the night or in clusters and the pressure breath by breath so really cant say if you need more pressure bc the more pressure the more side effect and the idea to be at the lowest pressure possible without compromising the therapy. Don,t you have a follow up appointment with the sleep doctor bc medically qualified sleep professional knows more how to interpret the data and make sense out it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,110 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,341 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.