Machine: PR DS560
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Amara View
Humidifier: PR System one
CPAP Pressure: 17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Question First Nights Data - Your thoughts?
Its been two months since my first study but I finally got through the hurdles to get a true data machine. I know my disorder is pretty severe. I was prescribed 17cm...looks like the machine averaged 16.9, so at least that seems good. AHI <5 not by much but I'll take it. Leaks look really good except the two time I took the mask off in my sleep. Please let me know if my interpretations are correct and anything that might look unusual. Thanks.
[attachment=1563]
06-27-2015 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: First Nights Data - Your thoughts?
it would be helpful if you update your profile so we know what machine, mask, etc. you are using.
06-27-2015 11:13 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

Your Auto machine is set at 5-20. I believe the starting pressure of 5 is too low, since you don't spend much time below 14.
If I were you, I would set my minimum pressure to 13 and leave the max pressure at 20 since you are maxing out at close to 18. I think you could see better AHI numbers. Just watch it for a couple weeks before making more changes.
You should also turn off ramp.
Let us know if this makes a difference for you.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
06-27-2015 12:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

I agree, your minimum pressure needs to be higher to eliminate some of the hypops being scored while the machine is lagging behind in getting the pressure up to handle them. I wouldn't advise changing it all at once since that may upset the apple cart. Since your AHI is <5, you're getting good therapy so boost the pressure gradually over a couple of months time. Check for effect after each change, whether it be for the better or worse. If it causes you to have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep or scoring more CA's, then back it off and wait a couple of months. You'll be amazed how well you can tolerate full pressure once your body adjusts to the therapy over time. Small incremental changes are advised, when change is needed.

The bottom line right now is, your sleep disturbance from the therapy is to be considered right along with how effective the therapy is in getting the low AHI's. From your graph, I deduce that you are waking when the pressure rises or are bothered by the mask or some other aspect of the therapy. That would make it a bad idea to increase the pressure right now. Later, it'll be easier to tolerate higher pressure, trust me, it works that way. For now, stay the course. You can fiddle with it later after you get comfortable with the new way of sleeping.

BTW, It sounds like your sleep doctor hit the pressure requirement on the head. Bully for him/her!
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2015 03:35 PM by surferdude2.)
06-27-2015 12:26 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Jumpinminnow - How do you like the Amara View?

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
06-27-2015 12:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jumpinminnow Offline

Members

Machine: PR DS560
Mask Make & Model: PR Amara View
Humidifier: PR System one
CPAP Pressure: 17

Other Comments:

RE: First Night's Data - Your thoughts?
I should have made this clear from the start - this is actually the end of week 4. The DME brought a DS220 when a 460 was prescribed. Since it needed to be changed anyway I had it upgraded to a 560. I was so excited to finally get it I forgot to do my profile. Its done now.

If I understand correctly a "problem area" is occurring during the ramp up. So don't use that feature and adjust the minimum to what I can best tolerate and still fall asleep. If I'm tired enough I've been able to do that with 17cm so I'll try 13 tonight and if it is too much I'll move the ramp up so it starts at 8 and maybe 30 minutes instead of 45 and only use it as a backup. Thank you for the help - I'm starting to feel like I understand this stuff.

I have the Amara View, the Amara Gel (that looks like an athletic cup) and the wisp. I'm using the View but its cinched very tight. It is less material in my face and I like that it doesn't come up as high on the nose. I'm hoping to use the leak data to loosen the view and then see how it compares to the wisp with a chin strap. Am I correct that the leak data was very good except when the mask was removed?
06-27-2015 04:26 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

by the way, I typed a nice post, and then did not save it. I would note that your chart seems to show that you fall asleep easily, under 10 minutes, you were awakened about 12:07 but were again back to sleep by 12:10.

So, ramp setting for 10 minutes vs. 30 or 45 would likely be enough.

I think your idea of 13 as a start, and a ramp from 8, sound fine. I think I would have set my min at 9 instead of 13, and my ramp to start at 6.

I was pleased to see that you do not have many CA events. That suggests that you would be fine at higher pressures with high AFlex settings.

Good luck.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
06-27-2015 04:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(06-27-2015 04:26 PM)jumpinminnow Wrote:  ... Am I correct that the leak data was very good except when the mask was removed?

Your "Total Leak" is usually around 42 liter/minute. No need to be too concerned about Total Leak, which is the total of intentional (through the task vent holes) plus unintentional Leak.

Your unintentional Leak is usually zero. Yes, that is very good.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2015 09:07 PM by vsheline.)
06-27-2015 09:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thoughts on nomask Judy1843 4 361 11-01-2016 03:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  At wits end. AHI Varies SO SO much, your thoughts?? Daisylouu 9 483 10-13-2016 02:45 PM
Last Post: rkl122
  Too many 0.0 nights ???? dwd1249 12 1,089 09-21-2016 05:33 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Sleepyhead data vs. Doctor's data Daisylouu 8 1,373 09-01-2016 06:10 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Dreamstation auto - two nights results stephennic 2 439 08-11-2016 08:13 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  First 5 hours great, after that AHI shoots through the roof. Thoughts? toinewi 3 408 08-08-2016 01:41 PM
Last Post: green wings
  1 year in, some thoughts and advice to newbies ISnoreBadly 14 1,220 08-07-2016 03:07 AM
Last Post: FFOGHORN