Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Nights of APAP...All Centrals!
RE: First Nights of APAP...All Centrals!
Yes, I would say the ASV does a lot to make me feel better. My AHI is averaging around 2.1 in the roughly 3 months I've had it. Note that I don't recall having Cheyne Stokes indicated though. I know I have Mixed Apnea, as in both central and obstructive apneas.

Switching to ASV resulted in almost immediate (about 2 days of use at about 4 hours each) reductions on morning headaches and the constant adding to the severe sleep disruptions BiPAP caused.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Allissio77,
When I was first diagnosed I had a lot of clear airways(CA) during my first week. My home sleep study measured a CAI of 0.7 and an AHI of 19. During my first week on APAP my AHI averaged 24 with a high of 36. I was quite upset and went in to see my sleep therapist. My sleep apnea was worse on APAP than without! 90 percent were clear airways and Sleepyhead showed Cheyenne Stokes for 2 of the nights. She said that it was because I was just starting out and the clear airways would go away in 3 months if I continued to use my machine. And basically that is what happened. After a month it had largely gone away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, not unusual for CA's to clear up as the body adjusts to the (added) carbon dioxide washout effect from the CPAP, but in my case, after nearly 4 months, not much change despite trying to lower the pressure to almost nothing (min 4 and max of 8 with EPR of 1).
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2017, 03:15 PM)Hojo Wrote: Yes, not unusual for CA's to clear up as the body adjusts to the (added) carbon dioxide washout effect from the CPAP, but in my case, after nearly 4 months, not much change despite trying to lower the pressure to almost nothing (min 4 and max of 8 with EPR of 1).

Hojo, Did you have CA's in your PSG (before using the device)?

I had 73 CA in my original PSG, and now with my APAP, I am averaging 20/night (Just 4 nights data though). I have almost no OA's and my 90% Pressure is only 8.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
Allessio77,
Don't forget your sleep study was done at 7200 feet. That alone can explain your high CA count during your sleep study.

Your Doctor knows that and also knows that CA events are common in the first weeks of treatment. Also the people above who have been through it have been at it for months before they ended up with ASV machines and they had way more ca events than your showing.

So relax and let a couple of weeks go by. If things don't get any worse than they are now I doubt you'll be moved to another machine anyway. But I expect you'll start getting better results soon.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla is correct. IMO you need several weeks to see where you're headed. This does several things: shows you're in to do what's best for self, rules out errors in that things sometimes are showing you have lots of Centrals but after getting used to xPap they diminish are 2 that come to mind. BTW insurance mostly will require a try/fail on CPAP to go to BiPAP, and the same try/fail from BiPAP to ASV. Typically a few days or even weeks isn't enough. Especially when your PSG/sleep study isn't showing high central apnea, or that's the sense I'm getting from other's comments. My case specifically wasn't a typical case though, as I had a very high central to obstructive count.

Nevertheless, in other words, in spite of what I just mentioned above, it doesn't mean you will not, now or in the near future require an ASV. I think though your status has to stabilize a few weeks before you head down the ASV path. Just trying to help your expectations and reality meet.

Best wishes again for best results,

Dave B
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks to all for their comments.
I will be patient and allow at least a couple of weeks to go by before I start to worry again...lol... Sleep-well
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
Not intending to confuse the situation, but obviously, if there's something that crops up that is very serious, please get the proper attention you need. And this isn't a derogatory statement, but we all had Newbie growing pains when first starting on CPAP. Because in most cases this corrects itself I think is why insurance wants to see time attempting what you have with a failure.

Great weekend to y'all.

Dave B  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2017, 02:29 PM)Allessio77 Wrote:   thanks Dave....one more thing...has the ASV did its job? How long have you been on it and How do you feel now??

Ditto that - Thanks Dave. What you've described is what I am currently experiencing.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's likely, you may not be having oxygen desaturation during these clear airway apnea. It may be just your body waiting for co2 to build up again. You could get a recording o2 meter off ebay for $50 cms50f
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 379 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,788 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 560 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.