Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Post - Be Gentle
RE: First Post - Be Gentle
(06-17-2015, 10:47 AM)tedburnsIII Wrote:
(06-17-2015, 05:12 AM)Dafod Wrote: Onclover, in answer to #2 of your queries, I initially didn't have a problem with mouth breathing with a nasal mask but after a while (2 months) found my mouth relaxing and just opening, letting out pressure. I bought at chin strap but it seemed unwieldy so tried tape and have found it very workable. I am using 3M Micropore surgical tape (aka Gentle Paper) and it works very well as it easily peels off in the morning but seals things during the night.

I've been taping my mouth shut for months (people have been suggesting that I do so since childhood Oh-jeez ).

Thanks for the tip re the surgical tape as I've been using Gorilla Tape and painter's tape to this point. Those tapes work pretty well but I am concerned about health effects- whether these concerns are founded in anything but speculation I do not know.

Have you been using the 1" or 2" tape? I am actually looking for a tape that is not particularly breathable.. Suggestions?

My suggestion is quit using tape of any kind and get a good quality chin strap or try the tongue method or better yet, you can try both. I needed a chin strap with my wisp at first but I no longer need it. I think just by reading the posts about tongue method, I subconsciously started doing it.

Why you would want non breathable tape is beyond me but maybe I misunderstood you Using painter's tape, etc. isn't a good idea in my opinion even if I thought using tape on your mouth while sleeping was a good idea.

So, get a good chin strap and get rid of the tape! Look in product reviews on this forum and you will find posts on chin straps. YMMV on chin straps just as it could with masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a chin strap when I first started along with the tongue method.
It took me about a month to perfect the tongue method, but it really does work!
I no longer use the chin strap. :grin:
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear.

I always use a chin strap, but I also tape my mouth shut. Hope to be able, eventually, to forego using the tape, but I find it effective.

I do practice the tongue in roof of mouth method, whatever, all the time- not there yet.

Hope to forego the chin strap eventually, OpalRose- but I've been a mouth breather for all my life and trying to change over to nose breather.

I am not interested in a FFM and like my current masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
delete
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't need to switch to a FFM. What chin strap are you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
Deleted the post with data because it was meant for another thread.

I use either the simple velcro adjustable thin chinstrap supplied by DME or the Ruby Red Adjustable Chinstrap.

The latter I now enjoy though it took a while to adjust to it. Ruby Red does not change position- it's solid and stays put but is more confining. I stuck with it and glad that I did.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 144 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,924 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,827 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 270 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  [CPAP] New User Struggling - PSG and CPAP Data Post PSG1 4 2,115 01-08-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.