Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Post: The worst thing about successful treatment...
First Post: The worst thing about successful treatment...
Hey all,

Been lurking for a while and felt compelled to post.

I've been diagnoses with sever OSA, during my at home sleep test (which they tell me had excellent data) I had on average 64 events per hour over 5 hours... that's right, more than one per minute. My average O2 was 91%, which they said it *just* at the acceptable range, however it was concerning that there were several times during the night where it dropped to the low 80's.

The company that arranged the sleep test has given me a demo unit for 2 months while we sort out the insurance pre-approval so I was able to start therapy right away and OH MY GOD, what an improvement.

Headaches, gone
Sleepiness in the afternoon, gone
Snoring, gone
Being annoyed by the kids, no change Dont-know

My average pressure has been on the high size, 14, but I haven't had much issue tolerating it. I've slept with the mask on for more than 4 hours (most night more than 6 hours) every night... EXCEPT LAST NIGHT.

And that is the worst thing about successful treatment... having a bad night (only 3:20 hours usage) and getting hit with a tonne of bricks the next day because you've become so accustom to sleeping normal. Mind you, overall I didn't sleep well so I don't think its because of not using the machine, just less sleep. But I feel like I did all the time without treatment.

Life changing!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Post: The worst thing about sucessful treatment...
Hi DerNL - Welcome to the forum!

It's good to hear that your initial treatment is going so well. Many of us have taken weeks to months to adjust. It's good to see that your headaches, afternoon sleepiness, and snoring have subsided. The "kid" thing is just payback from when you where young.

Looking forward to your continued success.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Post: The worst thing about successful treatment...
Thanks, I'm pretty lucky. It took a few nights to adjust to the mask for sure. After using it for a week, I had a follow up meeting with the company providing the equipment and they reviewed my data for the week and said it all looked really good and they didn't suggest any changes.

I'm had to play with the mask to prevent leaks so that's taken some adjustment, but I'm to the point now where the mask really doesn't bother me too much.

Very thankful for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DerfNL,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you are doing so well with CPAP therapy.
We all have a bad night once in a while, so don't get too bummed out about it.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great... and who knows, in a couple months (or decades?) the kids may become less annoying too Bigwink

if you sleep some of the time without the machine, your oxygen may drop during that time enough to give you that hit by bricks + headache feeling... it's happened to me that way! Thankfully, I have never had a habit of pulling the thing off! Really things should continue to improve. Depending on how long you've had the apnea, and how many adverse effects you have accumulated, it takes time to recover and regain health
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi DerNL - Welcome to the forum!Shy

I am glad to hear that you are doing good and you got use to the mask.
It happened to me, I am still a newbie. About a month ago, after about 2 months of use the CPAP, I got a big leak in the mask and needed to slept one night with out the machine. I understood the big bond that I have done with the machine. I was as desperate as the first week that I was quitting smoke.!!!!
Don't worry too much about the kids. The main problem for you is to be healthy and feeling good.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi derfNL,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. Seems like you are doing well adapting to treatment. Keep trying to extent the time that you are under treatment each night. You will continue to feel better.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Removing the mask, forgetting to turn the extra oxygen on and then paying the price the next day. Education is Painful that way.

I got the lesson after a while. Now I keep working on the backup equipment. Extra machine set up ready to go. Backup power supply and Standby Oxygen. I do not want to ever get the class over again. Those days of my head hurting for 4 to 6 hours when waking were not fun.

I find that I am a lot less troubled by challenges now that I feel so much better. Still have my share of other issues but they will work out.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, DerNL. Congratulations on the good results with your treatment.

(08-18-2016, 04:05 PM)DariaVader Wrote: That's great... and who knows, in a couple months (or decades?) the kids may become less annoying too Bigwink

That's when the kids become the grandkids and you can send them home to annoy mom and dad.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2016, 06:55 PM)pupcamper Wrote: Welcome to the forum, DerNL. Congratulations on the good results with your treatment.

(08-18-2016, 04:05 PM)DariaVader Wrote: That's great... and who knows, in a couple months (or decades?) the kids may become less annoying too Bigwink

That's when the kids become the grandkids and you can send them home to annoy mom and dad.

But first you have to spin their engines up before sending em' home...

A little sugar,,, correction.. A LOT of SUGAR!
Perhaps some coffee laced goodies just before bedtime!

Then y'a send em' home and tell em' to Sleep-well

We finally have our opportunity to get even with our kids! Tongue-out-2
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,749 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 224 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 142 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 177 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,626 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 561 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 168 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.