Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Post after 6 days
First Post after 6 days
Hi all, and thanks for a great forum. I'm learning lots but am confused by all the numbers. I will get there however.

I have spent 6 nights on my trial CPAP machine. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with an average of 31 events per hour.

I have the Resmed nasal mask and am struggling. I have read on here of the benefits of CPAP so I am determined to persevere.

The problem is I can only keep the mask on for a short time. The first night it was 3hours 56 min. But since then it's been closer to the 2 hour mark. I try very hard to keep it on but it either forces my mouth open or makes me feel so uncomfortable I have to take it off. Last night I took it off waited for an hour to relax and put it back on again but this time I lasted only about an hour.

Each morning when I wake I feel like I've done 3 rounds with a drunken possum. So far I haven't had a feeling of having a good night's sleep.

I like putting the mask on and going to sleep with it but wake in distress.

My body feels OK but my head feels really heavy.

I suffer from chronic asthma and sinus problems. The sleep test revealed atrial fibrillation during sleep.

I am determined to succeed. Any help with my understanding what is happening would be appreciated.
Cheers
Rob

P.S. I've attached a jpg file of the first six days from Sleepy Head
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Post after 6 days
Oops...here it is.
[attachment=843]
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day eBoof, welcome to the forum and to the crazy world of the hoseheads!

First thing to know - just about everybody has problems getting started, so you're not alone.

Second thing to know - the mask is the most important part of the therapy (or to put it another way, it's the weakest link). If your mask leaks or is uncomfortable then everything else counts for naught. Looking at your numbers, it doesn't seem that leaks are too much of a problem. However if you have chronic sinus issues, then a nasal mask may not be the best choice for you. A full face mask lets you breathe through mouth and nose as you need - this may be a better bet for you. Alternatively, have you tried a sinus rinse or decongestant? That might be enough to help you along.

(06-02-2014, 01:44 AM)eBoof Wrote: Each morning when I wake I feel like I've done 3 rounds with a drunken possum.
Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum and the world of CPAP.
The early days are never much fun but yours sound awful, you poor thing. Ten out of ten for persevering every night and not giving in.
I am not very good on the technical side of things, sorry.
People on this site with loads more valuable information will be around soon to help you, so don't despair.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eBoof,

well the same problem I had within adjusted in the sleep laboratory with my conclusion that a nasal mask is not my way. So I have now a RESMED Mirage Ultra-Mirage FF after strong requesting Doctors attitude. The problem is that you open your mouth by night and not enough pressure ist coming to your lungs. I would recommend to you to try our Full Mask mask and give it a try !!! Smile

I was diagnosed with 80 stops per night with Oxi down to 70% and stop breathing as maximum of 90 sec, so quite heavy !
After now 7 weeks of trying FF Mask i well like Superman !!! not like a drunken Zombie as before. Thinking-about
My personal values are around AHI of 6 and no more obstructive breath stops. By the way your posted values are quite fine ! locks nearly normal. Obstructive Index will come down with more trying belive me. After just 2 weeks my value was below 3 now after 7 weeks nearly zero ( 0,31 average over 60 days)

So try to get FF mask and give it a 2 weeks try, you will fell better and more important accept this therapy as useful for your body.
I am writing from Germany hope my English is fair enough to understand. Hope my words change you positive ! Okay

regards Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome eBoof. As others have said, it's tough getting comfortable with therapy and even tougher getting the mask that's right for you. Like Mike (above) I had to give up on the nasal mask because I can't keep my mouth shut. I finally settled on a F&P Simplus full face mask and a single strap chin restraint. I still have a minor problem with swallowing air when I roll onto my back but otherwise am doing fine after six months on the hose. Hang in there and don't hesitate to try other masks and fine tune the pressure settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. I too had issues with a nasal mask when I began using CPAP around ten or eleven years ago. I couldn't make it work and pretty quickly moved on to a full face mask. I would say it took me about 3-4 weeks before things began to settle in. Now I can't sleep without it. I don't have anything to add regarding asthma bit I do suffer occasional allergy related congestion for which my Dr. prescribed a spray which I seem to use only during spring and fall allergy seasons. I use nasal strips and a mouth guard which seems to help, Both are available over the counter. Lastly, my numbers improved dramatically when I forced myself to sleep on my stomach only, that also required a several week period to get used to. In fact I am still experimenting with pillow placement to help with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eBoof,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy so don't be shy about trying different ones.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I often recommend Full Masks for patients with sinus issues as sleeping with their mouth open is a regular occurence.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 01:44 AM)eBoof Wrote: The problem is I can only keep the mask on for a short time. The first night it was 3hours 56 min. But since then it's been closer to the 2 hour mark. I try very hard to keep it on but it either forces my mouth open or makes me feel so uncomfortable I have to take it off. Last night I took it off waited for an hour to relax and put it back on again but this time I lasted only about an hour.

I suffer from chronic asthma and sinus problems. The sleep test revealed atrial fibrillation during sleep.

I am determined to succeed. Any help with my understanding what is happening would be appreciated.
Cheers
Rob

P.S. I've attached a jpg file of the first six days from Sleepy Head

(06-02-2014, 05:57 AM)Michael_F18_Pilot Wrote: Hi eBoof,

well the same problem I had within adjusted in the sleep laboratory with my conclusion that a nasal mask is not my way. So I have now a RESMED Mirage Ultra-Mirage FF after strong requesting Doctors attitude. The problem is that you open your mouth by night and not enough pressure ist coming to your lungs. I would recommend to you to try our Full Mask mask and give it a try !!! Smile

I was diagnosed with 80 stops per night with Oxi down to 70% and stop breathing as maximum of 90 sec, so quite heavy !
After now 7 weeks of trying FF Mask i well like Superman !!! not like a drunken Zombie as before. Thinking-about
My personal values are around AHI of 6 and no more obstructive breath stops. By the way your posted values are quite fine ! locks nearly normal. Obstructive Index will come down with more trying belive me. After just 2 weeks my value was below 3 now after 7 weeks nearly zero ( 0,31 average over 60 days)

So try to get FF mask and give it a 2 weeks try, you will fell better and more important accept this therapy as useful for your body.
I am writing from Germany hope my English is fair enough to understand. Hope my words change you positive ! Okay

regards Mike

Hi Rob. Your numbers look great so I'm thinking your issues are more with "comfort." The leak numbers make me wonder if perhaps you are tightening the nasal mask too much. That actually could make you feel like you have wrestled a bear or something overnight. Your leak numbers can be higher than what you have and still provide you with good therapy, so revisit the fitting ideas on the mask. And after you give it a fair trial, if it just won't play nice, then try a pillows mask or even a full face mask.

Your issues with asthma would not in my view preclude you from using a pillows mask. I thought because of my issues with emphysema and crappy nose, that I had to use a full face mask. That turned out to be far from true. The pillows keep my airways open and my o2 perking along at 93 all night long. I believe you will discover that cpap is beneficial to your asthma rather than a hindrance.

Hi Mike! Welcome to you too! Your English is fine.... We are very happy to have you with us.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,971 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,830 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 271 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.