Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Sleep Study - Barely slept!!!
First Sleep Study - Barely slept!!!
Hi all. I am a newbie to this board and welcome any feedback.

I had my first overnight sleep study last night and couldn't fall asleep. I got up to go the bathroom, looked at my cell phone and it was 1:33 a.m. I then woke up on my own at 5:30 a.m. This is NOT a true representation of what goes on in my own home/bed. Normally I fall asleep with 1-5 minutes at home.

So, needless to say I am severely disappointed!!! At home I snore horribly, stop breathing, grind my teeth, kick my legs, etc....according to my husband. Also, in 5-6 hours of sleep, I wake up 5-6 times. I was hoping to get hooked up to cpap last night and have titration, but that didn't happen. I think I was "trying" too hard to have this test to be successful, and it completely FAILED on me.

At the end of the test I was told I did have apnea on my back, and some while on my side. I also have some partial airway closures evidently.

I don't know if I should have been told, but I was told that it looked like I have mild OSA. I think I have more than that, but again, this sleep study didn't mimic my home sleep habits.

I appreciate any feedback, etc. that anybody has. I am not looking forward to going back for titration if it warrants.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Sleep Study - Barely slept!!!
Hi shutz1012,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

I didn’t sleep much at my first sleep study either. I had to go back for a titration so that is pretty common. I know that it is very discouraging for you but don’t give up.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Welcome shutz1012,

trish6hundred is right on the money.

I didn't do well either. This is quite normal, when/if you have your titration, if you are at a sleep center, the technician/therapist will "dial you in". They only need a few hours of sleep to set you up.

It will get better, this is a normal process. Don't be discouraged!! This is all very foreign for everyone when they begin. Soon you will be sleeping like a baby.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had my first sleep study back in August, which unfortunately ended up being the hottest night of the year. I did have AC, but it doesn't work too well in conditions like that and I didn't fall asleep until about 5AM, however, I did it during the weekend (good thinking on my part) and they said I slept for 4 hours during the night and was diagnosed as having it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I myself barely slept my first sleep study. Strange place, strange bed, all wired up, etc etc. Anyway I was convinced that my doc would say I didn't have it. But I do. So you will likely be pleasantly surprised that even a little sleep is enough to diagnose. Specially if you have all the key symptoms which I did.

Also, welcome to the best SA forum out there!! You came to the right place for answers from other users a lot of whom are quite knowledgeable about such things.

Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all that have replied. I do have all they symptoms, and I've read they also use your pretest paperwork, the ones that you and your bed partner fill out, to help in the decision. I know the therapist can't say much, but he did say it looks like mild apnea. I forgot to mention the main reason for me getting this done was an elevated A1C, even though my husband says I've been off the charts for a long time. But, at the same time, I feel like my symptoms are worsening as time goes one. Untreated OSA leads to a host of health issues, and I do not want diabetes based on my A1C number.

We do get any and all of our test results online from our hospital, so I'm hoping I will see the results/recommendations before I even see the Dr. I'm praying for CPAP, but I'm not looking forward to another night at the sleep center to get this done.

Anyhow, I ended up having to "nap" today due to the lack of poor sleep/hours last night.

I will post again when I hear something.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a home test and couldnt sleep. Too anxious. That meant they couldnt even see when I was sleeping or not. I felt like I got no sleep, but I must have gotten some, because I got a diagnosis of moderate apnea anyway. If I ever have to do another, I will take a sleep aid! Hang in there, treatment is pretty much the same no matter what level they assign you Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
This stuff is an inexact science at best. I'm almost sure I didn't sleep at all during the study, and the sleep tech agreed. I'm still not convinced that my diagnosis of moderate SA is accurate. If I record myself without the CPAP, I hardly snore at all. It depends whether or not I roll onto my back and open my mouth. Even so, there are no long periods of snoring, but rather very brief bursts. Perhaps those result in arousals and contribute to AHI. I have no way to confirm that with the CPAP off. I also know that if I use the CPAP while reading or using the computer, the data show both central and obstructive apneas, which are obviously false.

I'm still trying, without success, to get my recording pulse oximeter to work. I'd really like to see what my SpO2 levels are during the night and give this data to my sleep doc at the next visit.

Overall, I see no improvement in my daytime sleepiness/fatigue since I started CPAP therapy. I think most of my problem is insomnia, not SA, but as long as the doc recommends I use it, I'll continue to do so. I'm accustomed to it now, and it can't hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same at my study, I felt like I hardly slept. I drove home discouraged. Except for the fact that Highway 41 in Port Charlotte FL rocks at 5am on a Saturday. I told my wife the study was a failure but when I went back to the doc she said I have it bad so here I am. The titration was much easier. Slept almost through it all. The guy came in at about 5 and said it sounded like I had a mouth leak and I did. The chin strap fell off. He said I had slept enough to get results so I could go. Rock'n 41 at 5am again. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm gonna .PDF my results from 2007 and you guys can see how bad apnea can be!!! I had to go to Sarasota twice. Same story as everyone else, but they got enough data to get me diagnosed and started.

(10-24-2015, 03:03 AM)AlanE Wrote: Same at my study, I felt like I hardly slept. I drove home discouraged. Except for the fact that Highway 41 in Port Charlotte FL rocks at 5am on a Saturday. I told my wife the study was a failure but when I went back to the doc she said I have it bad so here I am. The titration was much easier. Slept almost through it all. The guy came in at about 5 and said it sounded like I had a mouth leak and I did. The chin strap fell off. He said I had slept enough to get results so I could go. Rock'n 41 at 5am again. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.