Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Sleep Study - Barely slept!!!
RE: First Sleep Study - Barely slept!!!
Patience is something I must learn. I want my results like yesterday, lol...Of course, I was home last night and I had my typical snoring, apnea (according to my husband-wasn't breathing), tossing/turning, etc....So, I once again kept him up most of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
shultz1012,
I had a bad experience with sleep study too. It was supposed to be a split study, where they would hook you up for second part of night for titration, but they said I didn't sleep more than 1.5 hrs., and Medicare has a silly rule that you have to sleep 2 hrs. Had to wait 5 weeks to go back for titration. I still only slept for a couple hours during 2nd study, but it was apparently enough. I was diagnosed with severe apnea, with an AHI of 39. My oxygen level dropped to 69%.

If I had to do it again, I would take a sleep aid. Dreaming

My suggestion is to sleep in a recliner, if you have one. Or try to sleep elevated. If not, definetly sleep on your side.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well thanks Opal, but I can NOT sleep elevated, most of time I don't even use a pillow..can't stand my head up. No recliner, and evidently I have apneic episodes on my side as well. While I welcome the suggestions, I'm stuck for now. I do start out sleeping on my stomach, but every time I get up through the night, I'm on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to my sleep study and nearly fell asleep waiting for them to wire me up. I was totally ready to sleep right up until my head hit the pillow, and then every wire and strap and cannula jumped into my consciousness.

I tossed and turned for an hour, the tech asked if I wanted my ambien, so I took it and determined that I would lie motionless and will myself to sleep.

I spent about two hours being aware of the passage of time, counting my breaths, etc, and had to get up to use the restroom. The tech who came in to assist (with disconnecting the wires) assured me that I had indeed been sleeping, and my report showed that I had been asleep and having events during that time.

Woke up at 5 am and went home exhausts, but they got the info they needed.

Given a choice, I would opt for a home test unless there was reason for a full PSG.
Post Reply Post Reply
A sleep tech dispensing ambien. Nothing wrong with that.... Rolleyes
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding not sleeping till 1:30am during the sleep study, I think they're used to that. By the reaction of the technician, and the doctor that followed up afterwards, they don't need 8 hours of data. They only seemed to be interested (in my case) in analyzing those 'moments' when problems occurred (during my visit anyway). The second thing that I observed (personally) is that the sleep techs weren't exactly hovering over my monitors all night long. I'd describe them as 'passive observers' at best. Even the sleep doctors during two different overnights were somewhat critical of the actions of my sleep techs. He later said "strange that he didn't increase the pressure here" and "he should have tried different sleeping positions" etc. etc. etc.

I echoed the exact same thing as you to EVERYONE ("the sleep study didn't mimic my normal sleeping pattern") and all I seemed to get in return was absolute disinterest and the feeling that they here the same thing from EVERYONE. I certainly didn't (and don't) like that attitude, but I suppose they feel they neither need an entire night of data, nor do they need a typical sleep night necessarily. Because of this, I'll be that home sleep studies will continue to get closer and closer to lab analysis in the years to come. That'll also be better in showing several nights of sleep data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2015, 03:40 PM)AlanE Wrote: A sleep tech dispensing ambien. Nothing wrong with that.... Rolleyes

No worries. I brought it with me, prescribed by the np clinician. The tech just asked if I wanted to take it--encouraged me, actually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah okay. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Want to heard something odd? I slept more on the first night with my CPAP than in my sleep study!

4 hours with SS, 5 1/2 hours with CPAP!
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the way it's supposed to work!!!! Be patient, it gets better. I average around 7-7.5. Sometimes I get lucky, like last night. I got 8.5 in.

Of course, I been doing this since 2007!Sleep-well

(11-01-2015, 03:58 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Want to heard something odd? I slept more on the first night with my CPAP than in my sleep study!

4 hours with SS, 5 1/2 hours with CPAP!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.