Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Sleep Test
RE: First Sleep Test
(03-17-2023, 04:38 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: since you are slaying dragons left and right, I did not interject earlier.  But, minor thing that you can do to get that pressure up above 14 as soon as possible in you sleep journey - set the ramp start pressure to about 9, because I'm sure you'll find it comfortable.  you'll still probably move rather quickly to about 14, but the transition might feel better as well.

QAL

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll try that tonight and see how I get on.

Owen
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you all a quick update on my CPAP journey. Once again, huge, huge thanks to everyone for their help.

A summary:

Sleep test: AHI 122
Day 1 CPAP: AHI 47.11
Day 2: 7.37
Day 3: 3.05
Day 4: 2.46
Day 5: 3.65
Day 6: 3.02 (tried with collar but struggled)
Day 7: 2.77
Day 8: 3.12

I tried the collar but found it really constricting, it's probably a little too tight. I'll order a slightly larger one and see how I get on.

But overall I'm happy with my scores. I'm trying to increase the amount of sleep I'm getting and the past 2x nights I've woken to find my mask on the floor so I guess I've pulled it off in my sleep! It's all a learning process I guess!

Overall I am feeling so much better. Whereas before I was drowsy all of the time, falling asleep at work, moody, etc... I feel so much more refreshed now. Sure I might feel a little tired but not the fatigue that I was feeling before. My wife has said that there is a noticeable difference too. 

Still some way to go and I'm hoping as I continue to lose weight that the flow limitations ease off but there's definitely been some progress.

My only regret is not starting CPAP sooner! For anyone that might be reading this that thinks they have Sleep Apnea - get it seen to ASAP, you won't regret it.

Image below from Thursday night as yesterdays hasn't downloaded onto the SD card properly yet. You can see the bit between 01:45 and 02:30 where I took my mask off.

Cheers all,

Owen

Post Reply Post Reply
It's so good you're making this kind of progress -- thanks for letting everyone know!

People use different tricks to prevent themselves from taking off their masks during their sleep. The simplest one is to put strips of adhesive over the straps, sticking them down on your face. That way, when you start taking the mask off, the tug on your skin will wake you up enough so you can leave the mask alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Just wanted to give you all an update, I've been using CPAP for just under a month so far.

Just for a quick recap, my home sleep test came back with an AHI of over 120, my first night on CPAP was an AHI of 47 and since then my AHI has sat in the 1-6 range.

Overall I do feel much better, far less fatigue, not tired when driving, not falling asleep in work meetings, not waking up 5 times a night to pee... Overall just much better.

I do still have some residual tiredness, I'm not sure if this is just a symptom of the many years of non-CPAP use, but the difference is that I'm mildly tired instead of fatigued.

The one thing that does bother me is that I do wake most nights to find my CPAP producing a pressure of 18+ which is quite uncomfortable. Also, the front vents of the P10 mask expel a lot of air at these pressures which leaks into my eyes somewhat. To get around this issue, I'll normally press the power button on my AirSense 10 so that it reverts back to the ramp pressure of 6 which lets me fall back to sleep. 

Any tips of how to resolve this? Or is it just a case of getting used to it?

I've also attached my OSCAR outputs from last night and would appreciate any thoughts on that.

Thanks again all,

Owen

Post Reply Post Reply
So what ever happened with the SCC? Your pressures are driven up by those little clusters of OAs (and to some extent by the clusters of snores). I'm wondering whether you're having some positional issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2023, 11:05 AM)Dormeo Wrote: So what ever happened with the SCC?  Your pressures are driven up by those little clusters of OAs (and to some extent by the clusters of snores).  I'm wondering whether you're having some positional issues.

Hey, Dormeo.

I really couldn't get on with the SCC I bought, I think maybe it was too tight but I tried it for 3 nights and was really miserable. Just couldn't get comfy and woke with a sore neck and back.

I've noticed that I have some drool (sorry for the image!) when I wake up, so guess that my mouth must be opening at least a little. 
I've been reading a lot about mouth taping so will give that a go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I don't like to draw conclusions from 1x night of data but last night I upped my min pressure to 14.0, left max at 20.0, started ramp at 8 and EPR on full time at 3 and got some pretty good results. 

I've got terrible (unrelated) toothache at the moment at woke me up between 0050-0130 and it looks like there was some positional OAs close to when I woke up but a decent improvement on the previous night.

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope this is the start of a trend, Owen. Yes, positional OA -- and snores. You should certainly stick with these settings for a while to see how things go. Later, if you want to experiment further, you might try raising your ramp pressure some more. Oh, and I hope the toothache is resolved soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I thought that I'd try to increase the Ramp Pressure from 8 cmH2O to 13 cmH2O which is closer to my median pressure requirement and saw the AHI reduce further compared to the night before. Love making these small gains!!

Cheers,

Owen
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I thought that I'd try to increase the Ramp Pressure from 8 cmH2O to 13 cmH2O which is closer to my median pressure requirement and saw the AHI reduce further compared to the night before. Love making these small gains!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 3 107 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 868 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.