Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Sleep Test
RE: First Sleep Test
Thanks so much SleepRider! Will try tonight on 20cm and see if I've got a slimmer pillow too. CSS due to arrive tomorrow.

I'm losing weight (35lbs so far) so I'm hoping that this in combination with CPAP will produce some good results.

As for the bi-valve, over here in the UK medical wait times are insane (30 weeks for an initial sleep centre test) so I've went private and paid myself for the current CPAP machine. I'll visit my Doc and asks that he continues the referral but in the meantime will have to use the current CPAP.

Is there a chance with weight loss the required pressure may reduce?

All the best,

Owen
Post Reply Post Reply
Both weight loss and resolution of the positional apnea will certainly reduce pressure. I have seen pressure needs with a cervical collar drop significantly. I guess we will soon see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning all,

Night 3: CPAP Pressure Settings Min: 12 Max: 20, EPR 3, Used a light pillow and again tried to conciously keep my chin extended.

What. A. Difference!

A total of 07:52 sleep with only 1 wake up to pee (considering I was waking every hour without CPAP and only getting 5/6 hours is incredible!). 
AHI down to 3.05, in comparison:

Sleep Test: 102
Night 1: 47.11
Night 2: 7.37
Night 3: 3.05

It looks like the pressure is occasionally maxing out at 20, but some time also spent just below 20 too. As mentioned before, I'm on the waiting list for a follow up at a sleep clinic in the UK where I'll discuss the bi valve but there's a huge waiting list where I live so I'll need to stick with CPAP for now.

Other than a bit of a sore nose that I'm sure I'll get used to, I'm feeling pretty good! CSS should be arriving today/tomorrow and I'll give that a trial too to see how it affects the numbers.

Post Reply Post Reply
All that just from changing your pillow -- so interesting! I'll be curious what the SCC contributes. Next time you post a chart, could you include the flow limitations graph? I'm curious to see how things are going on that front.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing more satisfying than seeing very good progress with an expectation of more to come!
The type of machine that would benefit you more is a bilevel or BiPAP. That simply means it has a higher pressure capability and separate inhale and exhale pressure channels. Your Autoset is bilevel, and your 95% pressure is 19.96/16.96 (IPAP/EPAP). With pressures this high, greater comfort and efficacy is possible by using more pressure support and having that extra reserve of pressure above 20 cm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, SleepRider,

Thanks as always for your feedback and I am genuinely so thankful for your help.

Dormeo - I'll definitely post the results when it arrives and I'll post the flow rate graph next time too.

SleepRider - noted regarding the bipap! I'll continue the weight loss and you never know by the time I actually get an appointment with a sleep clinic I may find CPAP sufficient. Worst case I'll enjoy the other health benefits that loosing some weight will bring.

All the best,

Owen
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning all,

Night 4 and AHI down to 2.46! That was without the CSS as Amazon failed to deliver it yesterday...

Dormeo, I've added Flow Limit to the graphs Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Wonderful progress! Thanks for the FL graph. Clearly the FLs, while still heavy, are much improved. This is congruent with my sense that they were to some extent positional in nature. They really tapered off during the last hour of the night. Any idea why that might be?

Apologies if I already asked about your time asleep, but it looks as though you don't get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep per night. Also, it looks as though you don't have regular times to start and stop your night. Any chance you can try for a more regular schedule, and one that allows you to sleep (be actually asleep, not just in bed) for 7 to 8 hours per night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Dormeo,

I'm really not sure what happened for the last hour, I can only guess that I must have extended my neck a little more subconsciously..

I definitely need to improve the quantity of sleep. I need to wake for work at around 0600 so should be asleep by 2200 but with work / wife / toddler it's a challenge. I'll try to aim for 2300 going forward.

Thanks for your help :-)

Owen
Post Reply Post Reply
since you are slaying dragons left and right, I did not interject earlier. But, minor thing that you can do to get that pressure up above 14 as soon as possible in you sleep journey - set the ramp start pressure to about 9, because I'm sure you'll find it comfortable. you'll still probably move rather quickly to about 14, but the transition might feel better as well.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 115 44 minutes ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.