Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First SleepyHead report for S9 Autoset
RE: First SleepyHead report for S9 Autoset
Lanco, the event flags look good. Bigwink

I wonder if anyone can tell from the chart whether REM sleep was achieved? and how is it determined?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2016, 06:24 PM)Lanco Wrote: [img][Image: gc5E6uSl.png][/img]

I note from your chart that the leak rate starts near zero (you've selected nasal mask in setting) and the chart is showing actual leak rate and not total leak rate. You can now easily compare the manufacturer's leak rate/pressure chart to the sleepyhead rates for your different masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since Resmed reports actual unintentional leak rate only you do not need to compare it to the manufacturer's leak rate/pressure charts in order to get unintentional leak rates. Resmed estimates the unintentional leak rates for you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead will not lose any data, and you can look back at pretty much unlimited sessions. With regard to leaks, rough flat-topped leak line is an indication of mouth leak, while a strong spike is a mask leak. For more fun, you can click on any event or the flow line and the image will zoom into a shorter and shorter time frame until you can actually see your breath-by-breath breathing and wave form. Ctrl + and Ctrl- also work, as does the scroll wheel of a mouse. Try clicking on that OA at 09:15 and look at the detail on the flow line.

The pressure chart shows your IPAP and EPAP pressures. So IPAP is your pressure setting, and EPAP (green) shows the effect of EPR. You may also find a Mask Pressure chart. Pretty interesting because it shows the mask pressure, breath by breath if you zoom in. This really shows you the speed of the pressure transitions your S9 makes between inhale and exhale. If you really zoom in, you will see the Pressure chart changes very slowly, but the mask pressure changes with each breath cycle.

The height of any chart can be changed by dragging, and if you right-click in the left margin of the chart, you can find more options, like a a zero-line for the flow chart, or a change of the Y-axis. I think you can already see why this feedback is more valuable to understanding what is working, and what's not. Also, your events are way down. Good work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2016, 09:10 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Lanco, the event flags look good. Bigwink

I wonder if anyone can tell from the chart whether REM sleep was achieved? and how is it determined?
There is no way to definitively tell what is REM sleep and what is non REM sleep. You need EEG data together with data tracking eye movements to definitively tell that REM sleep was actually achieved during the night.

That said, if you spend enough time analyzing your own breathing patterns you can sometimes start to develop clues to when REM sleep may have occurred. Some of these clues can be:

1) Short wakes at roughly 90 minute intervals. This only works if you have a tendency to turn your machine off and back on whenever you wake up at night. For many people, a short (less than 5 minute long) wake happens after many, but not all, REM cycles. Most people don't remember these wakes in the morning, but you can see them in your CPAP data if you turn the machine off and back on and you don't remember the wake.

2) A bit more variability in the breathing than your normal "sleep breathing" pattern. But variability in breathing can also be indicative of a wake or a restless period rather than REM. The variability might also show up in the respiration rate graph, the tidal volume, and/or the minute ventilation graphs as well as the wave form graph. A lot of people think they can spot REM breathing based on the variability in the breathing, but they're really just making an educated guess about when REM may have had a higher probability of happening. And as I mentioned earlier, it's tough to distinguish between the variability in breathing due to restlessness, arousals, and wakes and the variability in breathing due to REM sleep. If you can add FitBit data into the picture, then high variability in breathing combined with "Deep Sleep" data from the FitBit that increases the chances that the variability in breathing is REM-related rather than sleep/wake/junk restlessness.

3) An uptick in the number of events at roughly 90 minute intervals, particularly if your OSA is documented as being worse in REM than non-REM sleep. Of course, if this is happening a lot, you probably need to increase the pressure slightly to prevent those REM-related clusters of events from happening in the first place.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2016, 09:10 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Lanco, the event flags look good. Bigwink

Thanx, yes. Let's hope this is my new average. Had a 1.01 AHI last night. I did get readings this low and lower on the XT but my average for 3 months was about 2.50. Time will tell.

What is interesting so far is the first night only OA. The second night one hypopnea and about 4 apneas. I had only a few apneas on my software for the XT in 3 months time whereas everything else was hypopneas. Wonder what that's all about. I've got some ideas but will wait and see I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2016, 01:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleepyhead will not lose any data, and you can look back at pretty much unlimited sessions.

I remember the developer mentioning that the S9 loses some data after 7 days and says to back up your data. Yet, in Preferences the box is checked for Create SD card backups during Import.

Can I then assume that this is automatically taken care of or will I have to manually go to the SD card and save? And if so how much do I save? Just the Datalog file?

Does it automatically save a screenshot or do I have to manually do this and it saves it in the proper folder?

Also, since I am a night owl and usually go to bed between 4-6AM it seems that on the machine itself it is not showing just for that sleep period but anything after noon. Is there a way to change the S9 setting so it will just while using the Info button it will show one complete sleep period?

Also, on the machine when I get up a few times a night to assist my wife I check the AHI. Is what I'm seeing the total up to that point or is it just the last segment of uninterrupted sleep?

Similar question for ResCan, when I check the report it shows things starting at noon and misses the rest of the night. Is there a way on ResCan to set it so that I can get a complete sleep period? Or maybe I need to start getting up by noonSad

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead does not change the default data capability of an S9. Download data weekly and you won't lose details. After that, you may lose wave form data, but not compliance or events. If you're going to sleep non-traditional hours past noon, then change the preferences in Sleepyhead. You can't do much with the machine. It will all work out. I use Rescan so little I don't know if you can change or combine sessions that run past noon. Also, I tend to sleep between 11:00 and 8:00 more or less, so I don't deal with this. Perhaps another night owl.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2016, 06:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleepyhead does not change the default data capability of an S9. Download data weekly and you won't lose details. After that, you may lose wave form data, but not compliance or events. If you're going to sleep non-traditional hours past noon, then change the preferences in Sleepyhead.

I think I am being really dense about thisHuh SleepyHead is fine for the hours, nothing need to be changed for that, it figures it out on it's own. And, I know Sleepyhead will not change any settings on the machine itself.

I have been importing data every day so far. Is this all that's needed OR (excuse my denseness) do I have to copy the stuff directly off the SD card itself and paste in a folder to make sure I have everything saved I need?Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2016, 04:18 PM)Lanco Wrote: I remember the developer mentioning that the S9 loses some data after 7 days and says to back up your data. Yet, in Preferences the box is checked for Create SD card backups during Import.
The problem is Resmed made the decision to have the S9 overwrite the wave flow data every seven days. JediMark can't change that.

The other detailed data on the S9 is also written directly to the SD card and it is overwritten every 30 days. If you don't download the data at least that often, the only data you'll have is summary data. The machine stores a year's worth of summary data on-board.

It's also critically important to remember to put the SD card back into your S9. If you use the machine without the SD card properly inserted, you will only have access to the summary data. Neither SH nor ResScan can read data that is not saved to the SD card.

Quote:Also, since I am a night owl and usually go to bed between 4-6AM it seems that on the machine itself it is not showing just for that sleep period but anything after noon. Is there a way to change the S9 setting so it will just while using the Info button it will show one complete sleep period?
As I recall, the S9 data is pretty sensitive to that noon roll-over time. Jedimark says something to that effect somewhere in the user documentation.

But it is easy to reset the S9's internal clock. A lot of people in your situation just set the S9 clock to be exactly 12 hours off. That makes the machine roll the LCD data over at 12 Midnight instead of 12 Noon. It also means that all the data shows up on the same "day" in ResScan or SleepyHead without doing anything else.

You do need to get into the clinical menu to change the clock time. But that's not difficult if you get the Clinical manual from elsewhere on this site's web pages.

Quote:Also, on the machine when I get up a few times a night to assist my wife I check the AHI. Is what I'm seeing the total up to that point or is it just the last segment of uninterrupted sleep?
It's everything from 12 NOON (the previous day) to the time you turn the machine off IF you turn the machine off before 12 NOON. If you turn the machine off after 12 NOON, it's just the data from 12 NOON to when you turn the machine off.

To make it clearer:

If you go to bed at 6AM on MONDAY and you slept until 1:00PM on SUNDAY, then this is what happens with the machine's LCD data:

If you wake up at 9:00 AM, the numbers will reflect the data from 12 NOON to 1:00PM SUNDAY and the data from 6:00AM to 9:00AM Monday.

But if you wake up at 1:00 PM on MONDAY, the LCD data will only be for the stuff that is recorded between 12 NOON Monday to 1:00PM Monday.

Quote:Similar question for ResCan, when I check the report it shows things starting at noon and misses the rest of the night. Is there a way on ResCan to set it so that I can get a complete sleep period? Or maybe I need to start getting up by noonSad
Best bet is to reset the S9's internal clock so that it is exactly 12 hours off.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 109 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 170 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] My first report here Frankiboy 20 1,396 11-08-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.