Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Test Drive -- Optimistic
RE: First Test Drive -- Optimistic
Don't take anything I say or do as a recommendation worth following on it's on.

I upped my min MOSTLY because it feels better *to me* when awake, and trying to get to sleep. I don't have that "no air" or any panicky feeling but it feels like a bit of an effort.

(I am not likely to get excited about pressure changes as long as it is POSSIBLE to BREATH; I was a commercial diver long ago and quite used to having to deal with pressuring air and regulators, as well as to balance in-flow and out-flow to keep my helmet or decompression chanbers clear of CO2.)

Until last night, I had a few OAs so upping the pressure also might have helped eliminate those.

Last night, the OAs were gone (1 all night) and I had 23 clear airway events (CA), but at least a third of those were when I know that I was either awake or trying to get back to sleep. Also, the ones I checked (maybe half of them) were right on the line for qualifying as a CA (10 seconds), and some also had some (reduced) activity within them so they were close calls for the machine or software.

I am going to leave it as is for tonight and see if these settings are stable or determine the range. These adjustments were so that my that the mask would be comfortable and only secondarily to help remove events as the AHI wasn't even that high the first 2 days (~ 4 to 8 AHI)

If I HAD to make a change, it would likely be to bring the top number back down a bit into the max range but that seems overpicking and not yet based on sufficient info.

And what do I know?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
4th night. Continued success, despite terrible nasal congestion that hit suddenly at 4 AM.

9 hours on machine -- sleeping 8.5.

AHI 4.1 (officially) but that includes a half hour of awake time fighting that congestion before I got up and correct the problem.

My true AHI was 1.3 once the awake session of 30 minutes was removed.

My two actual sleep sessions were:

AHI 0.85 first session (before congestion awoke me)
AHI 3.7 2nd session after I cleared the problem

My Oral Mask has arrived at the DME so starting tonight I can try that or have a substitute for the Airfit P10 nasal pillows when the congestion becomes unworkable.

I would have taken off the mask and gone back to sleep had it not been for the education you gave me on this (and the other) forum.

Thanks folks.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2014, 01:30 PM)me50 Wrote: I wish I would have known about this forum 3 years ago when I first got my machine. I would not have suffered for more than 2 1/2 years if I had known about forums like this one. Now, I have to learn about the VPAP Auto which I don't understand yet. At least I know where to go to look for the info now.

I am right there with you on the first 2 sentences. I do have some experience with the VPAP auto although mine is the S8 version and does not have alll the bells and whistles that yours does.

Have fun,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Still 100% compliant with at least 8 hours asleep and more on the machine.

Last night was tougher due to even worse congestion and trying a new mask, but made it anyway.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 11:01 PM)herbm Wrote: Still 100% compliant with at least 8 hours asleep and more on the machine.

Last night was tougher due to even worse congestion and trying a new mask, but made it anyway.

I hope you get the congestion under control and adjust to the new mask Herb. All in all you have your AHI's down, so that has to be good?
My mask, humidifier, and other bits and pieces have just arrived from the U.S. and I am over the moon. I cannot wait until next week until I finally am in possession of my Resmed S9 Elite. I cannot wait to get connected.
What would have cost me over $700 in Australia, cost me about $220.00 from your country. I love a bargain!
I hope you get it right tonight.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb congestion can really upset cpap. I used to be very susceptible to it but I've learned a couple of things. I never thought I would resort to saline nasal flush, but I have. It's sort of disgusting but it really helps. The other thing is using an RX nasal spray. Do not use OTC stuff like Afrin. It works briefly then you are worse. I only use the RX spray when the saline flush doesn't work. Between the two I have been breathing freely via cpap for months now.

I also think after you have been on cpap for a while your air passages get stretched open. I find that I breath easier during the day, when not on cpap. This takes a while.

I started with a full face mask but due to doing these things, I now am happy to be using only nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, thanks for the kind wishes.

Actually the congestion is more or less "under control" if you can call putting a 1000 pound Brahman bull in the rodeo starting gate, "under control".

The night before last forced me out that new mask (Oracle Oral) but it didn't defeat me and the Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow Mask actually worked despite the problem. (It was a close one but it did function.)

As of today, 6th day, I am still 100% compliant with more at least 8 hours sleep, all on the machine.

Last night was AHI 0.9; actually better since at least one event was bogus, maybe a couple more. (9 total.)

(02-06-2014, 08:43 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Herb congestion can really upset cpap. I used to be very susceptible to it but I've learned a couple of things. I never thought I would resort to saline nasal flush, but I have. It's sort of disgusting but it really helps. The other thing is using an RX nasal spray. Do not use OTC stuff like Afrin. It works briefly then you are worse. I only use the RX spray when the saline flush doesn't work. Between the two I have been breathing freely via cpap for months now.

I also think after you have been on cpap for a while your air passages get stretched open. I find that I breath easier during the day, when not on cpap. This takes a while.

I started with a full face mask but due to doing these things, I now am happy to be using only nasal pillows.

Thanks Doc for the suggestions; we do nasal lavage (at least 3 ways, cup, NeilMed bottler, and since this week a NeilMed sinugator which I really like but it stopped working after 3 days.)

Last night, I just used salt water at 3am by "sipping over my upper lip through my nose". Many people are surprised that this is probably the simplest way to lavage -- quickest -- and maybe one of the best.

I do use Nostrilla, have (ab)used it for years with no ill effects. Last night (and yesterday) I got by with total of 3 squirts, 2 to bad nostril and 1 to the other nostril.

Sleep Doc says that I can take Sudafed if need -- didn't need it last night.

I have tried Nasonex but never seemed to help much. Never tried a Rx alternative to actual spray decongestants.

Thanks everybody.

I may not make it but I am shooting for 3 weeks of full compliance when I return to the Sleep Doc for first check.

The idea that the nasal passages might enlarge seems reasonable -- I think the nasal mask is holding them open to some significant extent as once they are open and it gets started they tend to stay open which might be different than prior to CPAP.

Goals are good to have. Smile
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Herb, I'm not a "doc", my initials are just dr. Sounds like you have something similar to me which is one nostril that shuts down at the drop of a hat. I have been diagnosed with deviated septum and I was considering having surgery, but it bothers me less and less these days. I truly think it's the cpap that's helping open me up. It's not 100% but better by far than before cpap.

Odd thing but for different reasons I have taken cpap off in the night and finished the night without cpap. My wife said I did not snore or stop breathing. I know I can't stop cpap, but in a way it helps even when not using it. I am confident that you will reach your compliance goal. You seem pretty determined. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gabby and DR (didn't assume you were a doc but it seemed like a good nick name)

DR: Yes, my left nostril almost always shuts down before my right nostril. Once the left closes it MIGHT take the right with it.

Sometimes at night, as I (always) sleep on my side the congestion will move from "top nostril" to "bottom nostril" as I change position. Much of the time I must stay on the left side since it is going to close anyway, and this might keep the right clear.

I made an ENT appointment for Tuesday and plan to take the CT scan the dentist made of my head (CDROM) to show him the pocket of mucus etc. the dentist identified in my sinus.

He is also a Sleep Doc, so if my current sleep doc freaks out over my changing the machine then likely I will just switch to the ENT guy for both. (Have a plan; have a backup for your plan. Smile )

Gabby: I am so happy you will be getting the treatment you need at a price you can afford.

Almost time to finish my first week of CPAP -- the Sandman is calling.....

Sweet Dreams everyone.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is just my normal stuffiness. Of course, in all the times it happened in the past while sleeping likely I sort of slept through it (probably with lots of apnea), breathed through my mouth (parched mouth on waking), and woke up a lot.

There was no way to prove it happened so suddenly without the machine. Even last night I thought that despite my IMPRESSION that it was sudden (and startled me awake), the only way to prove this was to look at the machine data and see how my breathing changed in less than a minute I had jumped up and turned off the machine to get up.

Also, I have been very stuffy since about Thanksgiving when "cedar fever" hit the Austin area early due to an early cold snap.

Last night, I cleared my nose enough to get good sleep for the 4.5 hours but when that wore off (Nostrilla and Benedryl it hit like a punch in the nose.)

FYI: I have always found Nostrilla (in the metered bottle) the bet OTC nasal spray -- don't know what if anything it has different than Afrin etc. but it works well for me and has never done *ME* any damage despite egregious long term overuse.

(I had been mostly off it for years until this episode of allergies.)

Nostrilla might have a small dependency factor (for me) but it mostly doesn't have a rebound effect and getting off it is not very hard (for me).

As to mask, I originally ordered an F&P Oracle HC452 Oral Mask but it didn't arrive in time for my machine acquisition appointment, while the extra Airfit P10 that I bought from [Supplier #1] arrived in time use it for this past weekend.

The DME just called and informed me the Oracle has arrived for starting tonight I will try it and have it for a backup in such cases.

I might also acquire a full face mask but if the Oracle works well I might not need it.

Planning to call the sleep doc and possibly ask for an ENT referral.

In any case, I am still well on the road to success with CPAP -- this is my biggest issue and it's manageable.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

I removed the direct web address for the supplier from your post and inserted the link to the Supplier List. Per Apnea Board Rules, the only commercial links or web addresses allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. If you'd like to refer to the web address of a specific online CPAP Supplier (DME or Durable Medical Equipment retail store), please read our instructions on how to do that - guidelines are placed on our CPAP Supplier List (link at the top right of our forums).
Thanks for your understanding.
-----
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 868 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 354 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  First Sleep Test OwenTrantor 56 3,993 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.