Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Test Drive -- Optimistic
First Test Drive -- Optimistic
You folks have been a BIG HELP so thanks for helping me get started.

My machine was provided today about 4pm, so naturally a nap was in order.

Took me about an hour to get to sleep, slept well for another 1.5 hours -- machine said 2.5 total.

Resmed S9 AutoSet, APAP 6 to 12, Ramp OFF, EPR=3 with H5i with ClimateLine hose on about 70 degrees.

I used the AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow mask because my chosen mask F&P Oracle didn't arrive at the DME in time for the acquisition appointment.

As much as I worried about being a mouth breather -- so much that I ordered the Oracle as my primary mask -- I did manage to get my nose clear in time for the nap with the P10

I didn't bother with the chin strap or anything to keep my mouth shut but just closed my mouth and breathed through my nose.

That worked.

I had the VERY NICE LADY at the EXCELLENT DME turn off the ramp.

My sleep lab AHI was 49, and my test drive was 3.8. (OA=1 CA=2.8 no hypopnea). SleepyHead said AHI 3.88 which would be 3.9 instead.

Average pressure: 8.64 95%: 10.66

Average leak: 0.29 95%: 1.2

Worst was a very mild annoyance from the nasal pillow (right side mostly) so despite being a "big guy" I will try the small nasal pillows instead of the large.

It's a good beginning and I am cautiously optimistic.

Thank you again for all of the help. (I am sure I will need more Smile )
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Test Drive -- Optimistic
Hi herbm,
It's great to hear that you got off to a good start with CPAP therapy.
It will be interesting to see how you do over time, feel free to ask as many questions as you need to help you along on your CPAP journey.
It's also good to hear that so far you are having such a positive experience with your DME, hope that continues.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always been stuffed up and started with a full face mask and hated it. Eventually I found out the nasal pillows will inflate my nasal passages and I breath great and love them. Good luck, it does work!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wishing you good luck with a full night sleep, herb.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

Yes, my DME is excellent. American Home Patient (Austin, TX).

My rep is great; and the company has treated me well on everything (so far.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-well herbm
Post Reply Post Reply
That is great news news Herb. I'm so pleased for you, what a fantastic AHI, from 49 down to 3.8, wow.
Looking forward to hearing how you go tomorrow, after your first full night's sleep. Sleep well.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2014, 06:39 AM)Gabby Wrote: That is great news news Herb. I'm so pleased for you, what a fantastic AHI, from 49 down to 3.8, wow.
Looking forward to hearing how you go tomorrow, after your first full night's sleep. Sleep well.

Thanks for (all) the good wishes.

Sleep Study AHI: 49

First full night Jan 31, 2014 (includes the 2.5 hr nap already reported above when first bringing the machine home) -- machine is set on 8-12 for the rest of the night (yes, I already bumped the bottom number 6->8.)

AHI = 5.31 -- 5.8
OA = 2.2
CA = 3.5
Hours = 8:28
Avg Pressure = 9.71
95% Pressure = 11.72
Avg Leak Rate = 4.61
95% Leak Rate = 16.80
(Rescan and SleepyHead are giving slightly different numbers; nothing of very much concern, about 1-10% on different readings).

I need to learn to 'set' the machine a little better to deal with it in the middle of the night, and also to understand leaks vs. higher pressure noise in order to leave it alone when it's fine and fix the seal when it is not.

Even on 8 Minimum, I would rouse a bit, especially when turning over, and think it wasn't doing anything (or at least not much) and once I managed to keep turning it off while just trying to check the mask leak indicator.

Cutting the AHI to near 1/10 is pretty darn good for a first time out.

The mask and whole procedure was only mildly annoying, and it was MUCH easier to deal with the few small problems because of the excellent help received from this forum (and another one.)

Thanks

Now I know for CERTAIN that xPAP is workable for me since I did sleep and spent only a normal amount of time consciously awake and trying to get (back) to sleep.

And this wasn't even using my chosen primary mask but I really had no trouble keeping my mouth closed for the nasal pillows to work -- just finally woke up a little early this morning when my nose stopped up again enough to restrict airflow.

Maybe I better go test it again...............

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds great Herb, I don't think you can ask for better results from a first night. Not that I am in a position to judge but going from the reading I have been doing, it all looks pretty good to me.
I am sure it can only get better. Keep up the good work. Would love to see progress reports.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
So I figured this takes practice and another nap was therefore in order.

I slept 3+ hours and the machine reported only 1.5 -- SleepyHead and Rescan also agree on this.

The machine was on from before 4pm until 7pm and it was delivering air as well everytime I roused a bit. Slept well.

But what is up if you can't trust the CLOCK on the machine? (New Resmed S9)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 83 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 209 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  First Sleep Test OwenTrantor 56 3,992 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.