Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Test Drive -- Optimistic
RE: First Test Drive -- Optimistic
7 day avg AHI 0.5 (still)

Bathroom visits consistently down to 1 per night, mostly really late in the night so I can ALMOST make it through the night and have done so a couple of times.

Last night was special because I didn't touch the nasal pillows AT ALL to re-adjust (for 6 hours.)

Comfortable enough to just leave it be all night.

Tonight will be day 19, with 2 more days to get my 21 of 30 days for compliance, but I am still doing absolutely full compliance and averaging about 8.25 hours per night with the mask on every time I lie down to sleep. No day less than 7 hours.

It seems almost certain that I will reach absolute full compliance for my 30 day goal.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Comfortable enough to just leave it be all night.

Tonight will be day 19, with 2 more days to get my 21 or 30 days for compliance, but I am still doing absolutely full compliand and averaging about 8.25 hours per night with the mask on every time I lie down to sleep. No day less than 7 hours.

Sounds Like you and the Machine have become one , half the battle is finding a mask that fits and doesn't leak . Good job !Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done Herb. I have been enjoying your journey. I am hanging out for a one visit a night to the loo to happen consistently, still I am happy with two at the moment.
I am not sure what you mean when you talk about compliance, please excuse an ignorant Aussie.
Maybe you could explain?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 12:08 AM)Gabby Wrote: Well done Herb. I have been enjoying your journey. I am hanging out for a one visit a night to the loo to happen consistently, still I am happy with two at the moment.
I am not sure what you mean when you talk about compliance, please excuse an ignorant Aussie.
Maybe you could explain?

No excuse necessary.

For insurance payment (in the US) it is common to require 4 hours/night during 70% of any 30 day period (during the first 3 months.)

Such compliance makes the machine permanent (or in some cases lets one keep it another year.)

70% of 30 days is 21 days so I will have my "compliance" by the completion of the 21st day.

(Many people worry about this due to not using their machine very much in the early days.)

*MY* form of compliance is to use the machine for all sleeping (and get a good nights sleep.)

I am not quite certain, but if you now told me there were NOT long term health benefits, just the short term effects, I might just keep using it.

It's really "not a deal", much less a big deal.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that, I'm with you. My deal with our Government is something like that. I have to hire one for three months and use it for so many hours, not sure how many, to show that I am a serious contender for this, before they are prepared to give me a machine. I am on a disability pension and very fortunate indeed that the Government have this scheme and I am able to be a part of it.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Compliance Met

Ok, I get to keep the CPAP equipment Smile

21 days in with 100% full compliance, 7+ hours per night (avg. 8.8hrs) -- maybe I am sleeping too much?

Every time I lie down to sleep the mask is on -- I think that even ignoring long term effects and avoiding the mild side effects that *I* have from OSA it is really better just to SLEEP with the mask.

The mask is less trouble than the IMMEDIATE benefits it provides: no snoring, nose not stopping up during the middle of the night (and mouth falling open to get dry or sore throat), can hide my head under the covers and breath fresh air.

I would probably still wear it if there were no long term health benefits. Wearing it is enjoyable.

AHI 1.0 for 21 days

Mine is now officially a "success story" -- thank every one of you who help me, wished me well, or took an interest in my CPAP introduction.

Thank you.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2014, 10:20 AM)herbm Wrote: Compliance Met

Ok, I get to keep the CPAP equipment Smile

21 days in with 100% full compliance, 7+ hours per night (avg. 8.8hrs) -- maybe I am sleeping too much?

Every time I lie down to sleep the mask is on -- I think that even ignoring long term effects and avoiding the mild side effects that *I* have from OSA it is really better just to SLEEP with the mask.

The mask is less trouble than the IMMEDIATE benefits it provides: no snoring, nose not stopping up during the middle of the night (and mouth falling open to get dry or sore throat), can hide my head under the covers and breath fresh air.

I would probably still wear it if there were no long term health benefits. Wearing it is enjoyable.

AHI 1.0 for 21 days

Mine is now officially a "success story" -- thank every one of you who help me, wished me well, or took an interest in my CPAP introduction.

Thank you.
Hi HerbM,
Good job,! CONGRATULATIONS,!
CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done Herb! I have enjoyed your journey.
I hope after 21 days I will be feeling as accomplished, relaxed and looking forward to the future as you are.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, mine has been a dream experience compared with the average.

Not everyone has tons of trouble and ends up failing, and very few have things as easy as they were for me.

Most people are going to end up somewhere in the middle, but the key is to succeed no matter what it takes.

Our health depends on it.

My strategy was to frontload everything I could by doing most of the knowledge gathering and "adapting" before getting the machine -- and it worked.

Right now, I am considering double "total knee replacement" (TKR) -- it's probably time (been headed there since age 15) as steps are getting harder and harder to negotiate despite the fact that I still teach (and do) combatives and self-defense 3 days per week, and at fully speed no one can be sure of beating me, even those recognized as among the best in the world.

The surgeon said, "You are a good candidate for TKR, and we can do both at the same time."

So my strategy is to wait 4 months or so, but not just to put it off. Instead I will lose 50 lbs and pre-hab my knees to make re-hab on the other side easier.

Started working with my chiropractor and physical therapist already.

(It is possible we'll get my knees back to a place where the surgery won't be immediately necessary but it's probably better to complete this while I am young enough and healthy enough to be a good candidate.)

Hope that goes nearly as well as CPAP is proceeding -- but in any case, we will see.

My combatives motto is this:

"Keep fighting -- God will tell you when you are dead."

That pretty much should some up the most useful strategy to seeking to make ourselves healthy.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 133 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 886 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 358 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  First Sleep Test OwenTrantor 56 3,997 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.